The Trip - Series 1 Page 5

This second episode, I thought, was laugh out loud funny.

Poignant ending with Rob on the phone to his wife, joking etc, and Steve taking to his US agent and feeling he had missed the boat in regards to success in America and should have tried years ago.

Pity it's only a half hour a week. Maybe a DVD release will happen?

It's dull. There were a few amusing exchanges (as in, individual line and retorts, not long discussions) whilst at the table but otherwise ... just boring. I'm sure that this is hilarious to their friends and family, who see the elements of reality within the characters they're playing, and obviously there are some public viewers who're enjoying it too, but I can't help think that someone should have stopped them and said "Look, guys, not enough people know you to really get enough of this as it is..."

A real waste of licence fee.

Quote: Aaron @ November 8 2010, 11:28 PM GMT

A real waste of licence fee.

If a certain amount of people love it then the licence fee has been put to good use. It was never going to be a mainstream success; that's why it's on BBC Two at 10pm. But, I'm very much enjoying it.

The Ray Winstone snot drink bit had me roaring. The James Bond impressions were very good too.

The shots of the countryside and the Inn at Whitehall last week all look very nice aswell.

Very well shot, lovely locations but dull and unfunny in my opinion.

Presumably that snot bit is from a Ray Winstone film I haven't seen.

Still like it.
Wasn't that sure about the Ben Stiller dream - seemed to stray into Extras territory, plus it jarred with the verite nature of the whole thing.
When I've worked out why I like it, I'll tell you!

Quote: zooo @ November 8 2010, 11:35 PM GMT

Presumably that snot bit is from a Ray Winstone film I haven't seen.

No, they were just messing around.

I love this show.

Well enjoying this, and , after I was thinking that I had a lifetime's worth of Rob Rydon. Glad to see something trying to be different.

Same as last week really - Coogan and Brydon are watchable, but I didn't like the look of the food so I probably enjoyed it less.

Does anyone else think these are at least part-sponsored by the restaurants? At times this looked to me like a corporate vid advertising the place.

I really enjoyed this again. I am a Coogan and Brydon fan and maybe that's why, but I find it interesting (as opposed to watching sitcoms where you can second guess what will happen), strangely funny and beautifully shot. I liked the look of the food too.

It is nicely shot. The moors and mountains look great.

It looks effortless and that takes real effort. Really enjoying it.

Quote: zooo @ November 9 2010, 9:54 AM GMT

It is nicely shot. The moors and mountains look great.

Beware the moors!

The problem is, just whent they're both on a roll, they inturrupted by waiters etc. The only good thing about them being in a restaurant is they make fools of themselves, but it could easily be set in a doctor's waiting room. Perhaps that would've been a better idea - like A Bit of a Do, only with waiting rooms. They're at a dentist's one week, a train station the next etc.

Quote: Dave @ November 9 2010, 10:10 AM GMT

The problem is, just whent they're both on a roll, they inturrupted by waiters etc. The only good thing about them being in a restaurant is they make fools of themselves, but it could easily be set in a doctor's waiting room. Perhaps that would've been a better idea - like A Bit of a Do, only with waiting rooms. They're at a dentist's one week, a train station the next etc.

Why would Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan go to the doctors and dentist together? I think the road trip is a pretty good hook to hang the show on.