The Trip - Series 1 Page 8

What he doesn't like (and can't accept) is that it's not his own show that's being made and broadcast.

Says here comedy series by the way

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vsvv5

Can't see the billing of sitcom.

Quote: chipolata @ November 10 2010, 9:38 AM GMT

You could say that about any industry. Once you've broken in and had a success people are more willing to back you. And if you're a TV bigshot, who are you going trust with the hundreds of thousands it costs to make a sitcom, a respected film director and two of Britain's finest comedy actors, or Joe Obscure with no track record?

If Joe made me laugh more in the pilot viewing, then him, definitely. Yes. He could be the new Coogan or Brydon. How do you find the new superstar if you don't give them a chance?

Many people said Benny Hill had stopped being funny long before ITV axed him. Russ Abbott, Jim Davidson, The Two Ronnies even, etc etc. This is what you get when stars are kept on just because they were once found funny. If their humour retires then so should they, and bring on the next round of talent. Coogan and Brydon are still extremely funny though, imo, just using them to illustrate my point.

Might I suggest you pick someone who does illustrate your point then rather than two who clearly don't! :)

I couldn't really, this does happen to be in a Coogan-Brydon vehicle thread, I was attempting to keep it vaguely on topic.

Quote: Marc P @ November 10 2010, 10:07 AM GMT

Can't see the billing of sitcom.

I can, on this very website, which, Aaron will correct me if I am wrong, I'm sure, follows the broadcasters' own billing.

Quote: Marc P @ November 10 2010, 10:14 AM GMT

Might I suggest you pick someone who does illustrate your point then rather than two who clearly don't! :)

Except that they do. And you'd have to be pretty 'slow' to not follow the point he's making anyway, regardless of whether you agree or not.

Quote: Aaron @ November 10 2010, 10:25 AM GMT

Except that they do. And you'd have to be pretty 'slow' to not follow the point he's making anyway, regardless of whether you agree or not.

No they don't. He is saying performers who aren't funny any more shouldn't be given air time but then goes on to say that doesn't apply to them.

Correct, that is what I meant. However, Aaron is also correct if he genuinely doesn't think C&B are funny. For him, their time is up, if not for you and me.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 10 2010, 10:09 AM GMT

If Joe made me laugh more in the pilot viewing, then him, definitely. Yes. He could be the new Coogan or Brydon. How do you find the new superstar if you don't give them a chance?

I think there have been a fair few series on the BBC this year that haven't come from big stars (Rev, The Persuasionists, Roger & Val, etc), along with countless pilots, some promising, some dire. I think your problem, Alfred, is that you're predisposed to focus on the shows that prove your argument that BBC comedy is merely an old boys' network that freezes out anybody new.

Quote: chipolata @ November 10 2010, 11:54 AM GMT

I think there have been a fair few series on the BBC this year that haven't come from big stars (Roger & Val)

To be fair, Dawn French is one of the BBC's biggest female comedy stars (no pun intended), and although she didn't write the show, she created and starred in it.

Quote: Aaron @ November 10 2010, 11:58 AM GMT

To be fair, Dawn French is one of the BBC's biggest female comedy stars (no pun intended), and although she didn't write the show, she created and starred in it.

Oh, I didn't know she created it. I'll pop Him and Her in its place, then.

Yup yup:

Although the idea for Roger And Val Have Just Got In was Dawn's, she decided against writing the series herself, instead inviting twin sisters Emma Kilcoyne and Beth Kilcoyne, creators of BBC Three's Live! Girls! Present Dogtown, to do the honours.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/roger_val_have_just_got_in/interview/

Just caught up with the 2nd episode. Yes - genuinely amusing in moments, but I still don't see anything here that really captures the imagination. It's painfully slow, with the snail's pace not serving any greater purpose.

Interesting that Alexander Payne's name cropped-up in the dream sequence, because this show is like they watched Sideways and thought "Hey, we could do the same kind of thing, but about food instead... and make it slower, more post-modern and less accessible whilst we're at it...".

I'll ask again: why should we, the viewer, give a fig about Coogan's fictional career and fictional relationship issues? I think it deserves an answer because, beyond the impersonations, that's what the whole show is essentially hanging on at the moment.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 15 2010, 3:45 PM GMT

. It's painfully slow, with the snail's pace not serving any greater purpose.

I quite like the languid pace. It's weirdly relaxiing, and seems to fit with the conceit. And I'm normally quite an itchy-seat person.

Quote: chipolata @ November 15 2010, 5:28 PM GMT

And I'm normally quite an itchy-seat person.

You should wipe your bum properly!

It's on tonight isn't it?

Try to watch it on iPlayer as at bloody work again.