Come Fly With Me - Series 1 Page 13

Quote: bob4apples @ January 13 2011, 3:26 PM GMT

I was talking one show I don't like and why I don't like it, not so much the basic function of a joke. I was unfortunate enough to be dragged to a cinema (by my ex) to watch Mr. Bean and there were some laughs but also a lot of disappoinment from the audience. Do we all like every hugely successful comedy film/TV series that's ever been made? I'm a big Peter Sellers fan but I know people who can't stand him.

You're right that surprise is one element and I'm not saying its the only thing that's funny. But like all elements it's about how well they are executed. I don't think Come Fly with Me does any of this very well.

I see you've gone back to your first contentious post and re-edited it. You originally said something couldn't be funny unless it were a surprise. You've since altered your stance, thus your argument is no longer cogent.

Quote: Aaron @ January 13 2011, 3:26 PM GMT

Yes. :)

Maybe it you had never seen Mr. Bean before. But if you had you would probably expect something disastrous like this to happen. On his own in art gallery with a stinking cold and a grubby handkerchief. Next to a valuable painting. And you wouldn't see that coming?

Quote: David Bussell @ January 13 2011, 3:30 PM GMT

I see you've gone back to your first contentious post and re-edited it. You originally said something couldn't be funny unless it were a surprise. You've since altered your stance, thus your argument is no longer cogent.

Excuse me for breaking your precious etiquette by correcting my post. I was referring to certain gags in the show on this thread. That's what I was originally posting about. You could start a separate thread on the Basic Function of a Joke.

Quote: bob4apples @ January 13 2011, 3:40 PM GMT

Maybe it you had never seen Mr. Bean before. But if you had you would probably expect something disastrous like this to happen. On his own in art gallery with a stinking cold and a grubby handkerchief. Next to a valuable painting. And you wouldn't see that coming?

No, I wouldn't! And frequently fail to see such things that other posters here point out. I just sit down and watch; yes, sometimes I can predict a joke or pay-off, but I - and I would suggest the majority of the viewing population - don't rush ahead with this apparent subconscious activity of deconstructing a film or TV programme. I'm not a writer with the writer's mentality of intricate plotting and setting things up, and from observing comments I've seen and heard, I've come to the conclusion that that's largely why.

It's worth noting this simple minded fun has 4-5 times the viewing figures of Peep Show.

I love Peep Show, I am entertained by Come Fly With Me.

An awful lot of people who watch comedy want something simple and amusing. That CFWE is a bit racist and that's what so many people like is a little disheartening.

Quote: sootyj @ January 13 2011, 5:10 PM GMT

An awful lot of people who watch comedy want something simple and amusing. That CFWE is a bit racist and that's what so many people like is a little disheartening.

Would it help to remember that many people don't see it as racist, and even if they do, the majority will be enjoying it 'despite' any racist overtones, rather than 'because of'?

Actually the opposite.

Quote: sootyj @ January 13 2011, 5:24 PM GMT

Actually the opposite.

You mean that you're disappointed people don't rise up when there is even a small hint of racism?

No just that there's this binary sort of need to laugh at the other, the minority other.

I don't want censorship.

Just for people to be...nicer?

Quote: Aaron @ January 13 2011, 4:42 PM GMT

No, I wouldn't! And frequently fail to see such things that other posters here point out. I just sit down and watch; yes, sometimes I can predict a joke or pay-off, but I - and I would suggest the majority of the viewing population - don't rush ahead with this apparent subconscious activity of deconstructing a film or TV programme. I'm not a writer with the writer's mentality of intricate plotting and setting things up, and from observing comments I've seen and heard, I've come to the conclusion that that's largely why.

I don't think you're giving the viewing public much credit there. You don't have to be a writer to notice something so blatantly obvious as the example I gave, which is what I am talking about. The majority of the Mr. Bean cinema audience saw it coming too. A badly executed gag. I'm sure you've seen your fair share as have I.

Quote: bob4apples @ January 13 2011, 3:40 PM GMT

Excuse me for breaking your precious etiquette by correcting my post.

Don't get me wrong, you're quite welcome to change your opinion mid argument. I'm glad to have steered you away from ignorance in fact.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 13 2011, 5:44 PM GMT

Don't get me wrong, you're quite welcome to change your opinion mid argument. I'm glad to have steered you away from ignorance in fact.

And when did you do that??

Let's face facts children, this is a comedy show for children and people who don't really know what comedy is. That's basically the vast majority of all people.

It's crude and has bright colours, an easily recognisable and familiar backdrop, simple characters and even simpler jokes. There's no subtlety, nothing that might catch you off guard or scare you, nothing difficult, nothing to try and broaden your mind even a little bit. It's aimed at people who like this kind of stuff, and whether you think these people have interests that lay elsewhere and don't have the time for proper comedy, or whether you think they are simply braindead morons, that doesn't really matter.

Simple jokes, broad appeal, money money money

Quote: bob4apples @ January 13 2011, 5:48 PM GMT

And when did you do that??

That would be the point you changed your original statement to conceal the flaw in your argument. Now the only thing we're arguing about is the etiquette of arguing, and none of that really belongs on this thread. Accordingly I'm going to move on and stop wasting my time making comments that are very soon about to be whited out. It's been a pleasure, bobs.

Quote: Aaron @ January 13 2011, 3:25 PM GMT

Very mature. There's no need to get personal, Griff. It's a great pity that you have such an odious personality.

:D

Apparently the BBC are teaming this show up with the clowns from Big Top.

To make Come Pie with Me