Come Fly With Me - Series 1 Page 15

Quote: bob4apples @ January 16 2011, 9:17 PM GMT

Good points. CFWM seems like comedy for Sun readers.

Don't you mean Sun readers who have had their brains removed? I gave Ep. 4 a whirl the other night and it gets no better does it? To think that this is a big gun in the Beeb's comedy arsenal is quite sad really.

Although the only one small positive point that I can take from CFWM is the confirmation that Matt Lucas is a very capable character actor, but beyond that it's just toe-curling guff of the highest order.

I was surprised today to hear Come Fly With Me being talked about by a group of ordinary-members-of-the-public (yes, I did leave the house for once) in very high terms. They didn't seem 'chavvy' or like they were Sun readers or BNP members - they were just talking about how funny it was.

So although I would consider myself someone who generally enjoys quite broad comedy, Mark's point above is spot on. We often just don't reflect the viewing public at all, sadly.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ January 16 2011, 9:40 PM GMT

Don't you mean Sun readers who have had their brains removed? I gave Ep. 4 a whirl the other night and it gets no better does it? To think that this is a big gun in the Beeb's comedy arsenal is quite sad really.

I agree. I didn't think brains and Sun readers were mutually exclusive. And they seem to like this show which says a lot. But as another poster pointed out, it gets 6 million viewers.

You're probably right Aaron, inasmuch as the views posted by those on here are not entirely representative of the average Joe punter out there who watches comedy purely as a consumer.

It's true, I'm sure, that pretty much all of us (here) have some kind of agenda when commenting on shows in general, but then I suppose that's why we (sad bastards that we are) gravitate towards this godforsaken place.

Quote: Aaron @ January 17 2011, 12:22 AM GMT

I was surprised today to hear Come Fly With Me being talked about by a group of ordinary-members-of-the-public (yes, I did leave the house for once) in very high terms. They didn't seem 'chavvy' or like they were Sun readers or BNP members - they were just talking about how funny it was.

Hmmm... I've heard quite a few of my colleagues remark on how "hilarious" this show is. Then again, most doctors have the most appallingly awful taste in comedy. I once heard a couple of them discussing the funny bit from Notting Hill. I was very restrained, only prodding them very gently in the eyes with a scalpel until they agreed to desist. Certainly amongst doctors, the most intelligent of them have absolutely no frigging clue when it comes to comedy, so I don't think one can necessarily make a correlation.

It's all those years of high-pressure medical school. The stress sends you loopy.

I hate the way that a persons sense of humour is put into class brackets.
How ignorant!

Can you not enjoy the easy things in life as well as the hard.
Comedy does not need to always be a thinking mans game. Sometimes you may even find people who like both. They might even read the Sun too.

I hate, hate class obsessed idiots, who have nothing better to do than walk around with their noses in the air. You have bogies too Mr.

Well I haven't read the last 5 pages but it seems that comedy "has to move on."

WHY????????????

I love this, millions of other people love it. If you don't like it don't f**king watch it!!!!!!!

Quote: Charley @ January 17 2011, 4:03 PM GMT

I hate the way that a persons sense of humour is put into class brackets.
How ignorant!

Can you not enjoy the easy things in life as well as the hard.
Comedy does not need to always be a thinking mans game. Sometimes you may even find people who like both. They might even read the Sun too.

I hate, hate class obsessed idiots, who have nothing better to do than walk around with their noses in the air. You have bogies too Mr.

And also people of Charley's class like it!

Heee. I like it when Chappers swears.

I just watched Episode 4 in HD and although the overall effect of a busy, dubious airline is improved, the higher resolution makes some of the latex makeups look a bit cheesy and plastic!

(There just ain't pleasing some folks!)

The actual humour has grown on me a bit, but I doubt if I would like to watch these shows more than once: it's easily-forgettable fluff for the masses, no more, no less.

I will try to be kind to this show, and say that it puts out jovial, easily-digestible fare for the consumer. On those simplistic terms, it's an out-and-out winner, as reflected in the very good ratings. I do find the overused ploys of Lucas and Walliams grimacing insincerely (direct to camera) grossly overfamiliar, as is Walliam's constant 'silent movie-villain' hand-wringing. I know this is their stock-in-trade and what funds their lavish lifestyles, but it's not all that much fun to many onlookers.

It's innocuous fare, with 'bad-taste' trimmings injected into the mix, and to be fair, some bits are fairly presentable and mirthful.

'Plummet Airlines' (the name of a late 70s alternative rock act, funded by Stiff Records) would have been a more apt title, rather than the official moniker, which perhaps has been selected by unimaginitive Beeb execs, who wallow in Sinatra-like croonery in their spare time.

Or because the theme tune for Airline (is that it?) was Come Fly With Me?

Such stunted imagination (using the same music from an archaic 90s show) and wholesale unoriginality sounds about right regarding BBC execs, Nat!

Quote: Rico El Vista @ January 18 2011, 5:10 AM GMT

'Plummet Airlines' (the name of a late 70s alternative rock act, funded by Stiff Records) would have been a more apt title, rather than the official moniker, which perhaps has been selected by unimaginitive Beeb execs, who wallow in Sinatra-like croonery in their spare time.

Ah - another Stiff fan!

I assume that's not a double-etendre, Chappers!

SEEZ 1 (the catalogue number) is my favourite-ever album from Stiff or anyone else:

'DAMNED, DAMNED, DAMNED'.

------recorded by the Damned, if memory serves..........

Quote: Rico El Vista @ January 18 2011, 5:15 PM GMT

I assume that's not a double-etendre, Chappers!

SEEZ 1 (the catalogue number) is my favourite-ever album from Stiff or anyone else:

'DAMNED, DAMNED, DAMNED'.

------recorded by the Damned, if memory serves..........

I think it mught be too.......

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/4730/