Come Fly With Me - Series 1 Page 12

Quote: bob4apples @ January 13 2011, 1:28 AM GMT

bob4apples 15 James 1

I say, Sir! Poor form!

Quote: Aaron @ January 13 2011, 2:47 PM GMT

No. The whole point of a gag is that it makes you laugh. Whether you predict it or not is irrelevant.

Er, no. If you see the punchline coming 30 seconds before then it's not going to be very funny, is it? Therefore, no laughs. If it surprises you then it probably will be.

Quote: bob4apples @ January 13 2011, 2:53 PM GMT

Er, no. If you see the punchline coming 30 seconds before then it's not going to be very funny, is it? Therefore, no laughs. If it surprises you then it probably will be.

Aaron's right, the purpose of a joke is to make you laugh and sometimes the simple fact that you can see it coming makes it funny. I've said this before, but what's funnier, a bucket of water falling on a guy's head or knowing that a bucket of water is about to fall on a guy's head?

Er, no. If you see the punchline coming 30 seconds before then it's not going to be very funny, is it? Therefore, no laughs.

Er, no. You're imposing your own comedy preferences and attitudes on everyone else. It's perfectly possible to expect something and still laugh when it comes. Being able to predict, or not, a joke is not inherent to its 'point'.

Do you never watch repeats? :D

So many classic pieces of comedy you can see coming a mile off and we still laugh if not laugh more. How do you explain catchphrases for example.

Cool

Quote: Griff @ January 13 2011, 3:01 PM GMT

I've just been thinking about this with no useful result as usual. On one hand I agree with Mr.Apples, that if you "figure out" the joke before it's delivered, the punch is gone and you don't laugh. Even when you anticipate the bucket of water falling, it's not that fact that the water falls that makes you laugh - it's the unexpected dimension, the fact that the water fell *at that particular moment*, or the expression on the guy's face and whatever unexpected physical comedy he does, which makes you laugh.

On the other hand, I still laugh at jokes I've heard before. (As Leevil pointed out while I was typing this shit). So what the f**k. Who knows.

I think it depends a lot on the type of joke. Clever clever jokes tend not to work if the punch is telegraphed but a guy getting hit in the nuts is funny no matter what the setup.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 13 2011, 2:56 PM GMT

Aaron's right, the purpose of a joke is to make you laugh and sometimes the simple fact that you can see it coming makes it funny. I've said this before, but what's funnier, a bucket of water falling on a guy's head or knowing that a bucket of water is about to fall on a guy's head?

Not necessarily. Of course this can work but it depends on the set up and execution. This show just doesn't do it very well.

For example, in the Mr. Bean film. He visits a portrait gallery and has a terrible cold. He pulls out his handkerchief and blows. Literally 5-10 minutes later he ruins a priceless painting with it when the room is empty. Are you saying you wouldn't see that coming?

Quote: bob4apples @ January 13 2011, 3:04 PM GMT

Not necessarily. Of course this can work but it depends on the set up and execution. This show just doesn't do it very well.

For example, in the Mr. Bean film. He visits a portrait gallery and has a terrible cold. He pulls out his handkerchief and blows. Literally 5-10 minutes later he ruins a priceless painting with it when the room is empty. Are you saying you wouldn't see that coming?

We're not talking about a couple of shows you don't like, we're talking about the basic function of a joke. Surprise is one possible element of a joke but it lives and dies on whether or not it elicits a laugh. You've mentioned Mr Bean above - a hugely succesful show that was big enough to spawn a Hollywood movie. There's no denying that people find Mr Bean funny. Your (and mine) personal opinions don't negate that.

Quote: Griff @ January 13 2011, 3:07 PM GMT

Worst defence plea ever.

*kicks Griff in nuts to a huge round of applause*

Quote: David Bussell @ January 13 2011, 3:11 PM GMT

*kicks Griff in nuts to a huge round of applause*

*joins in*

Quote: Griff @ January 13 2011, 3:19 PM GMT

gasps... I wasn't dissing your response... I was imagining someone saying it in a court of law... nnggghhhh... *dies*

*kicks Griff's corpse in the nuts as an encore*

Quote: Griff @ January 13 2011, 3:01 PM GMT

Also Aaron is massively retarded and will laugh at a balloon on a stick.

Very mature. There's no need to get personal, Griff. It's a great pity that you have such an odious personality.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 13 2011, 3:11 PM GMT

We're not talking about a couple of shows you don't like, we're talking about the basic function of a joke. Surprise is one possible element of a joke but it lives and dies on whether or not it elicits a laugh. You've mentioned Mr Bean above - a hugely succesful show that was big enough to spawn a Hollywood movie. There's no denying that people find Mr Bean funny. Your (and mine) personal opinions don't negate that.

I was talking about one show I don't like and why I don't like it, not so much the basic function of a joke. But I know 'predictable' gags can be funny, it's how you get from point A to Z.

I was unfortunate enough to be dragged to a cinema (by my ex) to watch Mr. Bean and there were some laughs but also a lot of disappoinment from the audience. Do we all like every hugely successful comedy film/TV series that's ever been made? Or every successful comedy performer? I'm a big Peter Sellers fan but I know people who can't stand him.

You're right that surprise is one element and I'm not saying its the only thing that's funny. But like all elements it's about how well they are executed and I don't think Come Fly with Me does any of this very well.

Quote: bob4apples @ January 13 2011, 3:04 PM GMT

Yes. :)