Panellists who annoy you Page 5

Alan Davies FTW.

Pretty much anyone who is on too often, which given the risk averse nature of telly execs is just about all of them.

While I am the most dedicated of QI fans, sometimes Alan is a bit annoying. Some of the best moments are of Stephen putting him down.

The one I remember the most was on the subject of using bugs to colour food and the first such people were Aztecs. Alan said that the Aztecs didn't speak like Stephen and Alan did his Mexican accent, to which Stephen retorted: "So you think this happened after the Spanish colonisation of Mexico, do you?"

Mind you, sometimes Stephen is annoying. On the QI forums the thing that got the most complaints from the last series was Stephen introducing each episode with a very long "good" which seemed to take up about half a minute of the show.

Ha! That goooooooooooooood did get a bit annoying.
I've never found Alan annoying though.

I only get annoyed by the occasional guest who is there just to show off and gives the right answer straight away (ie John Sessions and Rory McGrath), leaving no room for the funny and entertaining answers, which is surely the whole point.

Quote: zooo @ September 6 2010, 9:59 AM BST

Ha! That goooooooooooooood did get a bit annoying.
I've never found Alan annoying though.

I only get annoyed by the occasional guest who is there just to show off and gives the right answer straight away (ie John Sessions and Rory McGrath), leaving no room for the funny and entertaining answers, which is surely the whole point.

Yes, McGrath was annoying, but it did give Sean Lock to take the piss out of him. Then there was Gyles Brandreth who bored Rich Hall so much that he laid down on the desk and took a nap. Although for some reason Brandreth is appearing again in the new series.

Maybe it is just me but I actually enjoy interesting, informative panellists; it the irritating tossers who feel they have to play all the clown and go off on one all the time who get on my tits.

As for Alan Davies and his "Hey viewers I am pretending to be as dumb as the BBC thinks you are" routine, I want to kick the telly in every time he butts in to repeats the other panellists jokes in a more laboured and less funny way. Is he that desperate for attention, or is he under orders to do this just in case the viewers are to thick to get the joke first time, or God help us, the other panellists are actually allowed to get a word in edgeways and baffle and disturb the ignorant masses by saying something interesting?

Quote: Timbo @ September 6 2010, 6:49 PM BST

As for Alan Davies and his "Hey viewers I am pretending to be as dumb as the BBC thinks you are" routine, I want to kick the telly in every time he butts in to repeats the other panellists jokes in a more laboured and less funny way. Is he that desperate for attention, or is he under orders to do this just in case the viewers are to thick to get the joke first time, or God help us, the other panellists are actually allowed to get a word in edgeways and baffle and disturb the ignorant masses by saying something interesting?

In terms of not getting a word in edgeways, I think the panellists on Mock the Week are worst.

That guy that presented The Word.

Terry Christian?
Or Mark Lamarr?

Terry Christian.He seems to bring the same level of annoyance to every guest spot he's on.

Phill Jupitus. I just don't like him.

And also, David Mitchell is awesome and everything, but sometimes he rants about things that he's got wrong. Like when Lee Mack tried to tell him that no other animals apart from horses live in a racing stables. Well they don't, but he went on about it as if Mack was a moron. Errr

Quote: buyon ferry @ September 12 2010, 7:01 PM BST

Terry Christian.He seems to bring the same level of annoyance to every guest spot he's on.

He's a smug prick!

Quote: Lassoon @ September 13 2010, 1:48 PM BST

And also, David Mitchell is awesome and everything, but sometimes he rants about things that he's got wrong. Like when Lee Mack tried to tell him that no other animals apart from horses live in a racing stables. Well they don't, but he went on about it as if Mack was a moron. Errr

That's what I'm talking about. DM seems to have a 'need' to win, and is a bit of an intellectual snob. Lee Mack puts him in his place though.

Quote: Lassoon @ September 13 2010, 1:48 PM BST

There was a similar bit this series where he was ranting at one of his own team mates, Rhod Gilbert, about something for ages, even though he was wrong. I can't remember about what though.

Was it that no dog could like Marmite?