Inn Mates Page 12

Another so called sit-com with no studio audience.
I spy a pattern, here. If its not funny - no audience.

I had one of those so called sandwiches once. All it was - was two bits of bread with some cheese in it and a bit of pickle. What a rip off.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ September 5 2010, 12:19 PM BST

Another so called sit-com with no studio audience.
I spy a pattern, here. If its not funny - no audience.

Erm, don't know if I agree there, The Office, Extras, Nighty Night, Pulling, The League of Gentlemen, The Royle Family, Early Doors, How Not To Live Your Life, Phoenix Nights, The Worst Week Of My Life - I think an awful lot of viewers found these non audience sitcoms very funny.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 5 2010, 1:04 PM BST

Erm, don't know if I agree there, The Office, Extras, Nighty Night, Pulling, The League of Gentlemen, The Royle Family, Early Doors, How Not To Live Your Life, Phoenix Nights, The Worst Week Of My Life - I think an awful lot of viewers found these non audience sitcoms very funny.

Agreed! Well, with most of them.

I've not seen all of them myself and I wasn't that keen on Royle Family or Early Doors, but many were was my point. Oh and I forgot Peep Show. That's funny I believe, though I've still not seen that either.

The Inbetweeners doesn't have an audience, does it?

No, I think you're right. Or Outnumbered. Or Roger and Val. In fact I feel quite sorry for the humble old studio audience sitcom next to that little list.

It getting a full series?

How bad was this?! A real disappointment; like finding a golden Wonka ticket, then discovering it's actually a ticket to the BCG meet. :(

Don't know if anyone will ever read this as I am so late in commenting, but this was absolutley dire I did not laugh once.

I do feel sorry for the writer because to me it seems he had a very innovative idea with Sunday lunchers and I just get the feeling the BBC put their oar in a la Andy Millman (Extras) and made something that was supoosed to appeal to a younger audience, however the only people I could see it appealing to are those so inebriated they will laugh at anything.

I do not mean to be harsh but if this gets commissioned then I'm not paying my TV licence anymore; a whole load of rehashed cliché-ridden jokes that if they haven't been done before there was a reason. (They weren't worth doing!)

I hate the fact it has played on my mind so much as to how awful it was what is the point in a sitcom if there is no com involved?

I would love to read what Charlie Brooker made of this however unlike me I doubt he wasted his time.

On the upside it has made me get round to writing something finally when I realised just how easy it must be to get something commissioned.

BBC Three have strung out these appalling youth comedies and don't seem to give up, it started with the unfunny Two Pints which became ok only through familiarity of it always being on and then on to Lunch Monkeys, another Two Pints wannabe, and now this!

Two Pints was bad enough but to act as if it is some sort of stalwart of comedy and try to reproduce it in so many forms seems ludicrous. I can understand Lead Balloon and Grandma's House both imitating Curb, but Curb is one of the best comedies ever made and they were both reasonable comedies however this was terrible and only Joe Tracini seems able to act out of any of the cast.

If it is getting a series then please recast and re work everything.

Oh and by the way: the PCSOs dancing to the car alarm......tyres from the fantastic sitcom Spaced anyone?

Please can the BBC do some original comedy in the future because at the moment Channel 4 is blowing you out of the water.

And if anyone wants to see a good pilot see if you can find Nathan Barley much more worth while.

Quote: Adam Singleton @ October 11 2010, 1:34 AM BST

And if anyone wants to see a good pilot see if you can find Nathan Barley much more worth while.

Sorry, but Nathan Barley is overrated pap.

Quote: chipolata @ October 11 2010, 4:19 PM BST

Sorry, but Nathan Barley is overrated pap.

Nah, it's brilliant. Unless you don't like it, of course.

I like Barley but I wouldn't say it's exactly the benchmark of the perfect pilot. It also tends to be championed by exactly the sort of people it sends up.

I've never actually seen the Barley pilot.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 11 2010, 4:25 PM BST

It also tends to be championed by exactly the sort of people it sends up.

Possibly they were the only people to really get the jokes.