Sherlock Page 27

Yep, exactly. That was a nice touch that I really missed.

Quote: Slippery Jack @ August 8 2010, 10:36 PM BST

Gah! A rubbish Moriarty to spoil an otherwise very fine episode. Gatiss and Moffat clearly need to write them all . . .

Agreed, he was a bit over the top and too much like John Simm's 'Master' for me.

An enjoyable series though, I'm open to more.

Quote: Slippery Jack @ August 8 2010, 11:36 PM BST

Is it a bad thing it reminded me of Die Hard With a Vengeance . . . ?

I thought it was a straight rip off. Except there was a discernable motive in that. I got a bit bored and wasn't paying complete attention, but what exactly was Moriaty trying to achieve?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 8 2010, 11:35 PM BST

It's not a cheap trick, it's a decision, a dramatic decision designed to bring about a sense of tension, purpose and forward thrust.

Don't be so silly.

My criticisms are valid so please refrain from knee-jerk one-liners. Thanks.

The ticking bomb scenario is obviously a classic dramatic device when well thought out and executed. However, when you have a series of such bombs, involving random strangers who are shown in obvious distress but never again mentioned after their release, it ceases to be dramatic and becomes cynical and manipulative. Particularly troubling is the implied torture of a child.

Quote: Aaron @ August 8 2010, 11:51 PM BST

Anyway. I love the 90 minute format. I hope that the BBC persuade Hartswood, Moffat, Gatiss and co. to continue it and not retreat to a measley hour for a (hopeful) Series 2.

Enjoyed episode 1 the most of the three. They seemed to forget the whole tech aspect that had been initially set up, in the second and third episodes - although a little of it returned, but felt more jammed in. Episode 3 I found difficult to keep track of in places. They didn't seem to use the on-screen overlays and prompts as much, which was a shame.

Hated the cliffhanger ending tonight. Really loathsome.

Oh, and if Cumberbatch leaves Cabin Pressure for this, as good as it is, I shall not be pleased. Angry

Agreed.

Is that it? They have to be making more of them surely? And what was the point of it all? That they were really clever but bored?

I thought Moriaty might have been the mortuary woman.

I loved Moriarty. I thought he was completly unexpected & fab.
I can't wait for more.
I agree with Aaron about the 1st eppy being the best & I would like to have seen more of the techie stuff too.

I liked it very much. A lot better than last weeks. Like, Timbo, I wasn't very sure of what Moriarty was trying to achieve, but there was plenty of rip roaring fun along the way.

Yes, Moriarty was a master criminal without a masterplan.

Quote: Cheesehoven @ August 9 2010, 12:15 AM BST

My criticisms are valid so please refrain from knee-jerk one-liners. Thanks.

Don't be so silly. Thanks.

Quote: Ben @ August 9 2010, 8:47 AM BST

Like, Timbo, I wasn't very sure of what Moriarty was trying to achieve, but there was plenty of rip roaring fun along the way.

Well, he was merely toying with Holmes, his 'good' opposite, for no other reason than to beat him and for fun. Plus he had been behind, at the very least, last week's mystery, which Holmes foiled, so perhaps felt it time to tackle the problem head on.

I think Cheesehoof is right in that there was certainly a lack of heart in the show. The people who died did feel irrelevant, almost ciphers. And Gatiss should have done more with Watson's outrage at Holmes indifference. Unfortunately that wasn't developed.

I liked it, and I thought it sped along very well despite its length, which is quite some achievement. Certain aspects were odd though; why did the blind lady have to die? Surely once she was released, she would be at liberty to talk as much as she wanted? And how on earth do you get a child to perform as a hostage? In my experience, kids just cry or say the wrong thing when I tie a bomb to them.

Mostly loved it, although I didn't like Moriarty at all, too much of a pantomime villian, personally I think it'd have been better keeping him hidden.

Still, can't wait for another series of CSI: Baker Street.

I think this kind of thriller/hi concept show always require a herculean suspension of disbelief.

1 BSG why didn't the cylon infiltrators just blow up a nuke or commit suicide and give the position away.

2 Columbo. Why did no one do him for harrasment?

True, and the success of the show is largely dependant on which it holds the viewers attention sufficiently for the mind not ot wander to asking awkward questions. But there should be a consistent internal logic and the protagonists should have clear motivations.

I remain unable to come up with any explanation of Moriaty's actions which is consistent with him being master criminal rather than a bit of a tosser. I seem to be alone in preferring the previous episode, which at least made some sort of sense.

I think he may be a fake after all.

Hence the "letter was obviously written by a woman" line

Possibly even the good Dr's main squeeze.