Sherlock Page 26

Quote: Cheesehoven @ August 8 2010, 11:20 PM BST

Like, her being blown up and taking out the whole side of a tower block, killing many more.

We saw a bit of a blown up building on a news report. Gruesome!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 8 2010, 11:32 PM BST

Last week's did, yes.

Ahh that explains why it "felt" different then.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 8 2010, 11:29 PM BST

Well of course having a child's voice that last time would rack up the tension and add a different element; what's wrong with that? It's called drama.

Without any justification, it's called sensationalism.

Quote: bamalamafizzvaj @ August 8 2010, 11:29 PM BST

Bit unsure about Moriarty, though. I was expecting him to be more...together. He was a bit too unhinged to be completely menacing for me. He was wearing a natty suit, though.

Vivienne Westwood!

I think if he'd turned up being all suave and together he would have been too similar to Gatiss as Sherlock's brother.

Quote: Aaron @ August 8 2010, 11:32 PM BST

Christ. No.

Is that the Den of geek interview? Read it t'other day and it was 6 hour long episodes. Which would make a bit more sense.

Quote: Cheesehoven @ August 8 2010, 11:32 PM BST

I think you'll find there have been a large number of detective programmes which did not feel the need to stoop to cheap tricks such as literally strapping bombs to innocent people in an attempt to generate excitement among the viewers. I don't recall Conan-Doyle ever resorting to that or Columbo for that matter!

It's not a cheap trick, it's a decision, a dramatic decision designed to bring about a sense of tension, purpose and forward thrust.

Quote: Cheesehoven @ August 8 2010, 11:33 PM BST

Without any justification, it's called sensationalism.

Don't be so silly.

Quote: bamalamafizzvaj @ August 8 2010, 11:34 PM BST

Is that the Den of geek interview? Read it t'other day and it was 6 hour long episodes. Which would make a bit more sense.

Ah, that would have been fine, I think.

Quote: zooo @ August 8 2010, 11:34 PM BST

Vivienne Westwood!

I think if he'd turned up being all suave and together he would have been too similar to Gatiss as Sherlock's brother.

:D

Yeah that's true. It's just...I couldn't put that character to the calculating criminal mastermind that he seemed when he wasn't onscreen.

Quote: Aaron @ August 8 2010, 11:32 PM BST

Christ. No.

I meant six hour long episodes.

Is it a bad thing it reminded me of Die Hard With a Vengeance . . . ?

Quote: bamalamafizzvaj @ August 8 2010, 11:35 PM BST

Yeah that's true. It's just...I couldn't put that character to the calculating criminal mastermind that he seemed when he wasn't onscreen.

Yes, it was definitely unexpected.

Quote: Slippery Jack @ August 8 2010, 11:36 PM BST

Is it a bad thing it reminded me of Die Hard With a Vengeance . . . ?

No, that had a similar device, I believe, having not actually seen it myself.

Quote: bamalamafizzvaj @ August 8 2010, 11:35 PM BST

The calculating criminal mastermind who got a job in the hospital IT department, pretended to be a gay bloke pretending to be straight, and seduced the mortuary worker! That was a lot of effort to get close to Sherlock I thought . . .

Anyway. I love the 90 minute format. I hope that the BBC persuade Hartswood, Moffat, Gatiss and co. to continue it and not retreat to a measley hour for a (hopeful) Series 2.

Enjoyed episode 1 the most of the three. They seemed to forget the whole tech aspect that had been initially set up, in the second and third episodes - although a little of it returned, but felt more jammed in. Episode 3 I found difficult to keep track of in places. They didn't seem to use the on-screen overlays and prompts as much, which was a shame.

Hated the cliffhanger ending tonight. Really loathsome.

Oh, and if Cumberbatch leaves Cabin Pressure for this, as good as it is, I shall not be pleased. Angry

Agree with episode 1 being the best. It's a shame they didn't continue the device of Sherlock's thoughts appearing during the crime scene investigations, like the 'wet/dry clean/dirty' stuff with the pink coated woman . . .