Sherlock Page 31

What's a MOR unit?

A slick legal term?

It's jim field's own cock term for anyone who disagrees with him and accepts 'Middle Of the Road' "content".

As far as I can see Sherlock is just another brain holiday for teenagers like 'Heroes' or that flatshare thing with the ghost and the werewolf.

It seems to have found its audience judging by the vituperation being doled out on here to naysayers and critics.

I don't normally post against these shows as I know I'm not going to convince anyone but I'm beginning to get a bit worried by the sheer number of recent dramas that don't bear any relation to a single second of real life or real lived experience.

Art isn't meant to tranquilize.

It's time to take the red pill people.

I disagree Godot my lovely.
It is rare for anything British to be enjoyable on TV at the mo. Sherlock was a great slice of British entertainment. Well acted, written & executed. It is sad but most of the stuff I watch is American & brilliant. I am excited about a second series as much as I am about the forthcoming new Dexter.
It does not have to be true to life for me to be entertained. It just has to be entertaining.

Quote: Mickeza @ August 9 2010, 8:23 PM BST

it was stupidly obvious that Jim was Moriarty and the brother had killed the sisters boyfriend for the USB stick.

Well I guessed Jim as Moriarty, but not the brother as the killer. I think, to be fair, the writers have to tread a very fine line between allowing there to be clues as to who the villains are, and preventing it from being too obvious. The fact that only some of us guessed, seems to suggest that they are succeeding in that strategy.

I liked the Planetarium fight scene best, very silly and great fun. Lovely sound effects of ffwding videos; do they really still use tapes at such places, I wonder? It was a shame that the scene didn't advance the plot though.

Regarding Sherlock's ambiguous sexuality; has the term Holmeosexual yet been coined?

Godot has a point. (Did I really say that?) The problem with British TV drama these days is that shows are either intended to be entertaining or to be challenging; which to a TV exec mind seems to mean either infantile or worthy. It is very seldom that output both challenges and entertains. The Americans seem to be much more accomplished when it comes to this.

Agree about Brit drama being in the doldrums. To me Sherlock was an 'entertainment', nothing more and nothing less. It certainly wasn't the saviour of British TV drama.

Was there enough of it for it to be "the saviour of British TV drama" anyway?

It was certainly a bold ending.

Quote: Marc P @ August 10 2010, 9:05 AM BST

It was certainly a bold ending.

So what did you actually think Marc, you seem to have just posted vague sentances; but your head above the parapet! :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 10 2010, 11:16 AM BST

So what did you actually think Marc, you seem to have just posted vague sentances; but your head above the parapet! :D

It's too dangerous. :)

Quote: Marc P @ August 10 2010, 11:35 AM BST

It's too dangerous. :)

Yellow belly! :)

I will say that the first one was my favourite.

Quote: roscoff @ August 9 2010, 10:01 PM BST

I think it's becoming a little absurd. Why would the forger for instance put something in the painting that would make it possible to identify it as a forgery? And are you telling me that some amateur astronomer guy would be the only person to spot this?

Too much deduction and not enough substance. Episode one by far the best for me.

Don't see how that was absurd. Forgers do make mistakes just like movie makers put in anachronisms. The forger could easily have been working from the earliest available astronomical plate and assumed that the night sky would not have changed much.

I agree that ep 1 was easily the best.

Quote: Marc P @ August 10 2010, 11:56 AM BST

I will say that the first one was my favourite.

:O :O :O Best keep that kind of incendary dynamite in your pocket, Marc!