Sherlock Page 29

There used to be Survivors.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 9 2010, 1:19 PM BST

Which other BBC sci-fi shows are there?

Triffids, that underwater shite, Sara Jane Adventures (actually quite good), Survivors, that rubbish scifi sitcom in space that wasn't Red Dwarf, the remake of A for Andromeda, parradox, that medical drama thingy

Quote: chipolata @ August 9 2010, 1:03 PM BST

Well, aren't all crime shows and novels guilty of that to a certain extent? They all use horrific murders and rapes etc to tell and sell a story.

Yes but my problem was this is that I did not think this episode earned the right to use abduction and murder as a device. The justification was thin. It appeared more of a back-formation ie let's have a tense series of ticking bombs and cobble together some story around it rather than a convincing organic narrative. I think Sherlock Holmes (and the first episode of this series) deserved better.

I think it set the morally ambivalent tone elegantly. In the Sandman Season's of the Mist there's a library of unpublished books.
One of which is "The conciense of Sherlock Holmes."
On account of him not having one.

Quote: sootyj @ August 9 2010, 1:24 PM BST

Triffids, that underwater shite, Sara Jane Adventures (actually quite good), Survivors, that rubbish scifi sitcom in space that wasn't Reddwarf, the remake of A for Andromeda, parradox, that medical drama thingy

Didn't they also part finance that Canadian shit, Defying Gravity?

Ooh that was bad.

Dr Who seems to be a loan outpost of varied if generally good BBC scifi,

Interesting Sherlock isn't scifi but it just feels so much like it I think of it that way automatically.

If Moriarty was Alan Rickman or Ian McKellan twiddling their moustaches it would still have attracted criticism. This guy is a sort of Buffy type of evil nerd genius, which I certainly wasn't expecting and didn't warm too, but I liked the actor and I'm sure he will make more of the part in the future (Andrew Scott?).

Funnily enough, I think that Sherlock sounds vaguley like Alan Rickman at times. But in a different pitch.

Quote: youngian @ August 9 2010, 1:34 PM BST

Moriarty was Alan Rickman or Ian McKellan twiddling their moustaches it would still of attracted criticism. This guy is a sort of Buffy type of evil nerd genius, which I certainly wasn't expecting and didn't warm too, but I liked the actor and I'm sure he will make more of the part in the future (Andrew Scott?).

It's quite a comedown from the "Napoleon of crime" to the "Graham Norton of crime". My hunch is that the cliffhanger ending was designed to test the popularity of Moriarty; if, as seems to be the case, Moriarty is unpopular, he'll be killed off.

Quote: Cheesehoven @ August 9 2010, 2:16 PM BST

It's quite a comedown from the "Napoleon of crime" to the "Graham Norton of crime". My hunch is that the cliffhanger ending was designed to test the popularity of Moriarty; if, as seems to be the case, Moriarty is unpopular, he'll be killed off.

You can't have Sherlock Holmes without Moriarty.

Quote: Cheesehoven @ August 9 2010, 2:16 PM BST

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Quote: Cheesehoven @ August 9 2010, 1:25 PM BST

Yes but my problem was this is that I did not think this episode earned the right to use abduction and murder as a device. The justification was thin.

So how would it have 'earned the right'?

And what beter way to show how little Holmes cares about distractions like human beings when the game is afoot?

It would be great if that wasn't actually Moriarty.

Quote: Afinkawan @ August 9 2010, 4:04 PM BST

So how would it have 'earned the right'?

Having a good organic plot like episode one.

This is just awful; the lead is leaden, and the less said about Martin Freewank, the better.

Always good to hear your opinion, Jim.