Eurovision Song Contest Page 10

It's just over a week away.

Are you all getting excited?

No.

Our entry this year is beyond dull.
Just unbelievably bland.

Which probably means we'll do well for a change.

Quote: zooo @ May 16 2008, 9:55 PM BST

Just unbelievably bland.

Who is it? I've forgotten it was so long ago.

Binman man.

That bloke who was on Pop Idol or whatever a year or two ago.

He was a dustman.

I want to say his name was Andy?

I'm none the wiser as I don't watch Pop Idol.

Quote: zooo @ May 16 2008, 9:55 PM BST

Just unbelievably bland.

Do you think people actually vote for the best song? We could have put some of our greatest musical talent in this contest over the past 5 years and we would still have trailed in last! Everybody votes for their neighbours and nobody votes for us because we are not liked in Europe. The only decent thing that happens on the night is Terry Wogan turning into an Irish Victor Meldrew!

Wogan is a leg-end. That's the only positive of the show.

I am most certainly not looking forward to it, as you may be able to tell. It is absolutely awful from start to end. And I'm not even aware of there having been a decision contest thing this year, which says a lot.

Quote: Aaron @ May 16 2008, 10:10 PM BST

And I'm not even aware of there having been a decision contest thing this year, which says a lot.

Tucked away on BBC3 as far as i'm aware.

A fairer way to decide it would be to give all the contestants RPG's and machine guns, put them on a castaway-type island - let them sing their song while the others show their approval (or lack of) by the number of lethal projectiles that hit the target. A special prize would be given to anybody who takes a head off in the first 5 seconds. Wogan, of course, would be the commentator.

Quote: Alan Cornforth @ May 16 2008, 10:01 PM BST

Do you think people actually vote for the best song? We could have put some of our greatest musical talent in this contest over the past 5 years and we would still have trailed in last! Everybody votes for their neighbours and nobody votes for us because we are not liked in Europe. The only decent thing that happens on the night is Terry Wogan turning into an Irish Victor Meldrew!

But we did win a few years ago!
It wasn't long enough ago for us to have had an entirely different set of political differences from the rest of Europe.

I know they hate us, but they must have hated us almost as much a few years ago.

So I don't think that's all the voting comes down to.

Quote: zooo @ May 16 2008, 10:28 PM BST

But we did win a few years ago!
It wasn't long enough ago for us to have had an entirely different set of political differences from the rest of Europe.

I know they hate us, but they must have hated us almost as much a few years ago.

So I don't think that's all the voting comes down to.

Well if you call 10 years ago a few? In the meantime we helped our masters invade Iraq - against our European "allies" wishes and our credibility sunk to a new low. The Eurovision voting has nothing to do with musical talent and more to do with who is popular. If you are truly bored check out this link http://norfolkblogger.blogspot.com/2007/05/exclusive-eurovision-song-contest.html

I'm not bored enough yet, but I'm sure I will be later. :)

Thing is, it's just normal members of the public who vote in all the countries, right?

I haven't got a clue who our country's allies are or aren't, do the average Joes in all of Europe have much more of an idea, really?

I know it's mostly political voting, but if an awesome song came along, I reckon it would win regardless.

Quote: zooo @ May 16 2008, 11:05 PM BST

I haven't got a clue who our country's allies are or aren't, do the average Joes in all of Europe have much more of an idea, really?

I know it was a long time ago, and I am in danger of being known as a link whore, but it is not always the voters who decide the winner! Link.