QI - Series H Page 7

I am not sick of Stephen Fry.

'Sick' is perhaps an unfair term to use, and I do still enjoy him on other programmes, but his persona on QI I think must have changed somehow. He seems ... I don't know, "smug" isn't quite the right term, but I can't think of anything more accurate right now. It just doesn't feel like it's presenting his considerable talent or intellect in the right light any longer.

Quote: Aaron @ January 10 2011, 4:39 PM GMT

'Sick' is perhaps an unfair term to use, and I do still enjoy him on other programmes, but his persona on QI I think must have changed somehow. He seems ... I don't know, "smug" isn't quite the right term, but I can't think of anything more accurate right now. It just doesn't feel like it's presenting his considerable talent or intellect in the right light any longer.

Maybe his presenting style is not as good as it was. The problem is, if you got rid of Fry, who would you replace him with?

Would he need replacing? Could the series not be either ended, or at least put to rest for a few years, let people refresh themselves and come through to the format again?

Quote: Aaron @ January 10 2011, 7:50 PM GMT

Would he need replacing? Could the series not be either ended, or at least put to rest for a few years, let people refresh themselves and come through to the format again?

I suppose it could be rested, but I don't think the BBC would allow it. For starters there is all the merchandise that gets released each year, and they probably would not want to postpone the chance to make money.

There's no reason that the ceasement of the television programme for a year or two would necessitate no QI annual or no updated/themed Ignorance book. (Which I doubt the BBC see much if any money from anyway, the format and series being owned and produced independently.) The notion of educating people in an entertaining and amusing way is still a valid and successful one.

Quote: Aaron @ January 10 2011, 7:56 PM GMT

There's no reason that the ceasement of the television programme for a year or two would necessitate no QI annual or no updated/themed Ignorance book. (Which I doubt the BBC see much if any money from anyway, the format and series being owned and produced independently.) The notion of educating people in an entertaining and amusing way is still a valid and successful one.

Well, maybe the people behind QI prefer the series to go out a year because they know it will increase awareness and thus sales.

Considering that it's a BBC programme and thus can't advertise products, not even its own beyond an occasional 'Now available...' announcement after the credits have rolled, that would be a very weak argument.

On the other hand, one could easily argue that the lack of a TV dose of QI could push UP sales of the books.

There's 18 series yet to run. Fry's 53. Taking a couple of years off now might be cutting it a bit thin.

I think last night episode of QI was better. At least this time the klaxons were not rung deliberately.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 10 2011, 9:46 PM GMT

There's 18 series yet to run. Fry's 53. Taking a couple of years off now might be cutting it a bit thin.

Ha! I imagine Series X and Series Z might be quite short though, so they could go out in the same year.

QI is alright - but it's no longer unmissable. The thing that frustrates me is all the 'wasted' time at the start and end playing with the buzzers and handing out the meaningless scores - just get on with the rounds!

Quote: Mark @ January 16 2011, 4:33 PM GMT

Ha! I imagine Series X and Series Z might be quite short though, so they could go out in the same year.

QI is alright - but it's no longer unmissable. The thing that frustrates me is all the 'wasted' time at the start and end playing with the buzzers and handing out the meaningless scores - just get on with the rounds!

I agree entirely with this.

QI used to be about the only programme I would make sure I either watched when it was broadcast or later on the iPlayer, where as now I can take it or leave it.

It seems that QI has got itself into trouble with it's remarks about the unluckiest man in the world (the man who survived two atom bombs). It has been reported that the Japanese have found the comments made in the show offensive.

As always, the Daily Mail have been quick to respond, featuring the offending clip in their article so that people can get even angrier with the BBC.

One person on the QI forums has posted some responses to the clip from angry "viewers". These responses are typical of people who have only seen one clip of an entire TV series but are still offended by it (see Sachsgate).

Bunch of idiots.

What was the actual comment made? I remember it, but not the wording.

I don't really believe even readers of the Daily Mail could conjure up much anger about that. However hard the paper might try.

Idiots.

Quote: zooo @ January 22 2011, 11:47 AM GMT

What was the actual comment made?

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 22 2011, 9:47 AM GMT

featuring the offending clip in their article

;)