QI - Series H Page 5

Thought last night was an improvement, Hall and Hamilton canbe relied upon not to chip in unless they have a decent line, and even Jupitus and Davies were relatively measured in their contributions.

People on the QI forums seem to have been dissapointed due to what they saw as poor editing. Seems that some people thought that some jokes and replies were cut short.

I was not impressed by the "Pleasure Gauge", as did one person in the audience I saw who while everyone was applauding was just sitting there resting his head on his fist.

Shortly after the Hanimals episode was broadcast, somebody went out and built web sites at hippoteeth.com and jordansanimalfacts.com.

Definitely get rid of the pleasure gauge!

It's only for the happy episode surely?

Quote: zooo @ October 23 2010, 9:36 PM BST

Definitely get rid of the pleasure gauge!

Yes.

Quote: Nil Putters @ October 23 2010, 9:41 PM BST

It's only for the happy episode surely?

Ah yes, hope so!

Quote: Godot Taxis @ October 23 2010, 9:05 AM BST

Interesting watching Fry defining 'Pillage' for Rich Hall. He clearly didn't know what it meant either - except in a loose contextual sense - but Fry doesn't seem to own up to not knowing stuff. Twat.

Except...

"Pillage: Verb: Rob (a place) using violence"

That's pretty much what Stephen said.

And yes, it's pretty obvious the pleasure gauge was only for the Happiness episode.

The part where Phil Jupitus made the stupid joke about tipping rickshaws and Stephen just looked at him and betrayed a moment of possible loathing was hilarious.

Quote: jhmagic1 @ September 24 2010, 8:57 PM BST

Alan Davis told the end joke of ep 2 in a previous series.

Was that the episode where he mimed something after someone else said it?

Christ, Jupitus is annoying. Never stops until a vaguely amusing idea is buried at least 6 foot under, that man... :(

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 28 2010, 2:46 AM BST

Christ, Jupitus is annoying. Never stops until a vaguely amusing idea is buried at least 6 foot under, that man... :(

Have you read his Twitter page? It's gloriously pretentious. I'm surprised he doesn't begin each tweet with the phrase: 'well sink me, sir...'.

This series of QI has been really poor... even the episode with David Mitchell was bad. Tomorrow's line-up looks pretty grim...

Quote: Sal Paradise @ October 25 2010, 3:18 AM BST

Except...

"Pillage: Verb: Rob (a place) using violence"

That's pretty much what Stephen said.

He gave a loose contextual definition which was more or less an example of usage and could have equally applied to ransack. We ALL know what the Pillage means in context, including Rich Hall. Rich Hall wanted to know what the word was actually defined as, and the key is that it means to steal with violence especially during wartime which isn't what Fry said at all.

Stephen Fry just made a comment to Alan Davies about how being bitten by a human was worse than being bitten by a fly.

Whooopsey! The look on ADs face was priceless....

Sean Lock is becoming the star of this show - brilliantly poised idiocy.

Not many laughs in that edition. John Lloyd is a legend, but he didn't attempt any humour, nor did Fry ; we can't expect Vegas and Davies to be funny anyway, leaving just Toksvig to supply the odd witticism.

And as for those 'facts'; there is no 'law' that toast lands butter-side down, OK they could pretend it's true for a worthwhile gag...hypothetically. And Lloyd pointed out that there are other people who can control their body temperature.

Overall, it was very substandard.

Quote: robert aitken @ October 29 2010, 9:14 PM GMT

Sean Lock is becoming the star of this show - brilliantly poised idiocy.

Apart from the episode the other day where Ross Noble owned the whole show. Lock had his arms crossed for part of it - he was visibly annoyed. I don't blame him. It wonderful to see Noble so on form but they shouldn't have been booked for the same show -their comedy's too similar.