Things that piss you off Page 745

Quote: Trabs @ September 5 2011, 12:01 PM BST

I went cold turkey. gets the nicotene out your system quicker, although the first period of not smoking is probably much tougher, I think you get over cravings quicker. It is such a horribly tough thing to do, but well worth it. Good luck AJGO!

Thanks Trabs! Do you have any distaction tips? Not taking up knitting or hobbies that cost more than cigarettes and trying not to stuff my face..

I've heard (from several normal, sane people who would usually harshly mock those who use self help books) that this book works.

Apparently you read the book whilst you are still smoking and by the time you reach the end of it you will have stopped.
Sounds mental to me, but they say it works.

Isn't he the annoying chat show presenter on 4?

Thanks for that, have looked at friends copies a couple of times but never finished because when I have time to read I want plot and characters! Excuses, excuses..
Have seen one specifically for women which I should read as I seem to put on weight if I give up smoking for half an hour even though when I haven't 'given up' I don't smoke every half hour!

Quote: sootyj @ September 5 2011, 12:20 PM BST

Isn't he the annoying chat show presenter on 4?

It is the way you would spell it, yes. ;)

Quote: AJGO @ September 5 2011, 12:03 PM BST

Thanks Trabs! Do you have any distaction tips? Not taking up knitting or hobbies that cost more than cigarettes and trying not to stuff my face..

It's tough because it affects everybody differently.

When I quit, the worst side-effects were a loss of concentration span, anxiety and depression. I didn't really have anything to combat this other than riding it out, and telling myself that I would start to feel better again in a few weeks (and I did). I chewed a shit load of pens and drank heroic amounts of tea. Actually, if I had a tip, it would be to drink lots of green tea.

I did eat more in the first few weeks, and did put a bit of weight on. I don't think you should worry about this, go with whatever gives you comfort to start off with. If you kick the fags, you can worry about shifting the extra pounds once your body stabilises itself again.

Whenever I try to quit I do well for a few weeks, the cravings are there but my will power is strong enough. It's only when I go to the pub mainly and everyone goes outside. I tend to follow them and end up nicking a fag. I quit about two months ago and then started up again a few weeks ago. But I'm somewhat happy with my current rate of one-two fags every other day. It's not great but it's better than chain smoking.

It's better Chain smoking in a way, because it gived you more impetus to give up, as you can admit the addiction.
When you just have one or two, you deny that you are addicted & think you have some control over it.
You look forward to & "enjoy" the cigarettes more, and therefore give yourself less chance of quitting.

Quote: Trabs @ September 5 2011, 12:32 PM BST

It's tough because it affects everybody differently.

When I quit, the worst side-effects were a loss of concentration span, anxiety and depression. I didn't really have anything to combat this other than riding it out, and telling myself that I would start to feel better again in a few weeks (and I did). I chewed a shit load of pens and drank heroic amounts of tea. Actually, if I had a tip, it would be to drink lots of green tea.

I did eat more in the first few weeks, and did put a bit of weight on. I don't think you should worry about this, go with whatever gives you comfort to start off with. If you kick the fags, you can worry about shifting the extra pounds once your body stabilises itself again.

Thanks- true, if I can give up smoking I can probably lose a few pounds!

On the subject of quitting stuff. I am currently seven days into trying to give up the sauce for a month or two. My word, is that a hard thing to do. So far I've managed to ride out two post match drinking sessions for the footy team I play for, a Friday night in town, and a dinner party, with only consuming a pint of shandy and two glasses of red wine.

Quote: Leevil @ September 5 2011, 12:45 PM BST

Whenever I try to quit I do well for a few weeks, the cravings are there but my will power is strong enough. It's only when I go to the pub mainly and everyone goes outside. I tend to follow them and end up nicking a fag. I quit about two months ago and then started up again a few weeks ago. But I'm somewhat happy with my current rate of one-two fags every other day. It's not great but it's better than chain smoking.

I'd be happy enough to only smoke when I drink because at least that's enjoyable. It's the ones I find I'm smoking as I write that I don't even recall lighting that drive me mad!

Quote: Trabs @ September 5 2011, 12:58 PM BST

On the subject of quitting stuff. I am currently seven days into trying to give up the sauce for a month or two. My word, is that a hard thing to do. So far I've managed to ride out two post match drinking sessions for the footy team I play for, a Friday night in town, and a dinner party, with only consuming a pint of shandy and two glasses of red wine.

That is impressive, well done :)
Don't feel bad if you slip up, scientists now recommend any alcohol (in moderation) on a daily basis for good health. Optimistically waiting a similar finding about smoking!

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ September 5 2011, 12:56 PM BST

It's better Chain smoking in a way, because it gived you more impetus to give up, as you can admit the addiction.
When you just have one or two, you deny that you are addicted & think you have some control over it.
You look forward to & "enjoy" the cigarettes more, and therefore give yourself less chance of quitting.

True. But I do enjoy the odd cig here and there. I don't think I will ever truly quit because well, y'know my friend Mary likes to smoke too. Whistling nnocently

Quote: AJGO @ September 5 2011, 1:01 PM BST

Don't feel bad if you slip up, scientists now recommend any alcohol (in moderation) on a daily basis for good health. Optimistically waiting a similar finding about smoking!

:D

Not ignoring the smokers' dilemmas, well yes I am because I don't. If it's any incentive, you'll never get off with a non smoker because tasting like an old ashtray ain't sexy.

But can I add to my earlier rant?
1. Employment Agencies
2. Employment Agencies
3. Employment Agencies
4. Employment Agencies
5. Employment Agencies
6. Employment Agencies
7. Employment Agencies
8. Employment Agencies
9. Employment Agencies
10. Employment Agencies

Returning to the magical world of non existant job listings.

Steve Wright.