Things that piss you off Page 1,814

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd October 2020, 6:04 PM

It used to be so simple to buy a light bulb... :$

It's a conspiratorial money spinning con by electricians and the like.

We all have to make a living.
Iv'e been on the light bulb fiddle for 40 years.
We'd make sure you bought more than you need by only selling them in box's of 4.
We'd confuse you by making many different connection sizes like Bayonet cap, small bayonet cap, Edison screw, small Edison screw - then change the name of Edison screw to E27 and E14.
You had no chance. we made sure you bought the wrong size and would be back to buy more.

I knew it..........I f**king knew it!!! Bastards. And like the one I've just had to replace - print the spec in light grey ink so you can't read what the effin' rating is. Angry

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 20th September 2021, 10:04 AM

A quick calculation using a 60W old type lamp and replacing it with an 5W led lamp (equivalent to 60W in light power)
Running for 1000 hours on a normal tariff
Would cost you in electricity 60W = £16 5W = £1,20

So it's cheaper to buy a new lamp that has blown prematurely.
They are built with automated machines and only a 5 second test when assembled.
There will be a failure rate percentage.

RIGHT I now have me two new ones, which states 15,000 hours life, that is , 15 years at 2.7 hours a day.

There's no way that last f**ker was put in the socket 15 years ago, so I'm dating the effin' box this time.

mind you, in 15 years it's hardly likely I'll be around :( - must put it on a post-it note for my son

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 22nd September 2021, 7:57 AM

We all have to make a living.
Iv'e been on the light bulb fiddle for 40 years.
We'd make sure you bought more than you need by only selling them in box's of 4.
We'd confuse you by making many different connection sizes like Bayonet cap, small bayonet cap, Edison screw, small Edison screw - then change the name of Edison screw to E27 and E14.
You had no chance. we made sure you bought the wrong size and would be back to buy more.

You forgot the bit about changing Watts to Lumens.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd September 2021, 11:15 AM

RIGHT I now have me two new ones, which states 15,000 hours life, that is , 15 years at 2.7 hours a day.

There's no way that last f**ker was put in the socket 15 years ago, so I'm dating the effin' box this time.

mind you, in 15 years it's hardly likely I'll be around :( - must put it on a post-it note for my son

I once fitted a digital time-clock to a machine and in the instructions it said 'In the event of a power failure, the correct time will be retained for 99 years. I've told my grandchildren to tell their grandchildren to check it's true and to ask for a refund if it's not.

:D

Laughing out loud

After decades of watching our road deteriorate, with potholes, sunken drain covers and crumbling edges, only last year they resurfaced the whole lot, beautifully, and it was a treat to hear your tyres "humming" on the flat service.

Right at this moment, the gas people have dug huge holes in the full length of it (some 300 yards), so they can replace the 90-year-old cast iron gas main.

It makes you want to weep.

Isn't there a Flanders and Swann song about that? The gasman calls, or something...

:D Similar - more domestic than road up. Always a delight whenever I saw they were coming on TV when I was a sprog.

You must be old too, beaky. Whistling nnocently

The constant bombardment of climate change lectures.
If it's true that it's man made and we must all change our gas boilers an buy electric cars - then why do they never mention the biggest polluters - China, the United States, India, and Russia
It's estimated China pump out 10 Billion tons of C02 per year which is more than the rest of the world combined.
I'll get behind it when they stop China doing it.
Otherwise it's like throwing a deckchair off the Titanic to slow its sinking.

Quite right.
Personally I regularly throw rubbish out of the car window - and shall continue to do so until they clamp down on fly-tipping.

Quote: Lazzard @ 1st October 2021, 1:19 PM

Quite right.
Personally I regularly throw rubbish out of the car window - and shall continue to do so until they clamp down on fly-tipping.

Is fly tipping a bit like cow tipping but on a smaller scale?

Quote: Chappers @ 1st October 2021, 6:00 PM

Is fly tipping a bit like cow tipping but on a smaller scale?

:D