Things that piss you off Page 1,425

We never joined.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 29th March 2014, 11:57 PM GMT

Tense, as the independence vote approaches.

It's a worry. Definitely.

which way do you swing, independence would be awful for UK politics, it's just hard to believe Salmond can leap the reliability gap

At the moment I'm a yes. I'm horrified and disgusted by what this country is doing to poor people and I don't see any let up. We swing between Labour and Tory, both self-seeking arseholes. How the Hell do we get something different? Independence would be a leap of faith, maybe a chance for a more humane way of treating people. I don't know.

Quote: sootyj @ 30th March 2014, 12:11 AM GMT

it's just hard to believe Salmond can leap the reliability gap

BOOYAH!

I've always had a good respect for him. He's not daft, but nobody's infallible.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 30th March 2014, 12:19 AM GMT

BOOYAH!

f**king hell I wrote that joke by accident it is a goody though

Quote: keewik @ 30th March 2014, 12:18 AM GMT

At the moment I'm a yes. I'm horrified and disgusted by what this country is doing to poor people and I don't see any let up. We swing between Labour and Tory, both self-seeking arseholes. How the Hell do we get something different? Independence would be a leap of faith, maybe a chance for a more humane way of treating people. I don't know.

Well first of all and I'm writing this as a lefty who worked for a charity.

But here's the thing.

The effect on the poor is being over exaggerated and mischievously so.

There's still 10s of billions being paid out to the needy and vulnerable, much of what the conservatives are doing is reversing some of the more demented bribes Labor was handing out. Yes some people are suffering, alot aren't and not everyone is going to a foodbank because they're broke.

And Salmond's plans for government spending with a severely reduced income sound fanciful and not very realistic.

Quote: sootyj @ 30th March 2014, 12:31 AM GMT

f**king hell I wrote that joke by accident it is a goody though

Laughing out loud :D

Ta zooo.

People who cite Roy Castle as concrete proof that passive smoking causes cancer. He apparently blamed his cancer on it just before he died as a result of playing his trumpet in smoky night-clubs.

Now I don't know how many of those he played in, BUT if ever there was a group of people who did nothing but play in a confined smoky atmosphere, it would be jazz musicians; so let's look at them.

Still alive:-

Cleo Laine 86
Acker Bilk 85
Chris Barber 82

Died a good age:-

Johnny Dankworth died 83
Ottilie Patterson died 79
Humphrey Lyttelton died 87

So Roy Castle died at aged 62, which is no age of course but people do die comparatively young for other reasons. A very good active non-smoking friend of mine has recently died at exactly that age.

Here is a quote:-

This morning, on the Five Live phone-in, the chief executive of the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation, Dr Rosemary Gillespie, was asked a direct question: did Roy Castle smoke cigars? Her reply:
"I am not prepared to discuss whether Roy Castle smoked."

I think she pretty much shot herself in the foot with that answer, as there are other people who say that they had seen Roy smoking cigars at some point in his career.

Also, apparently horn players used to use a cleaner for their instruments that is now banned due to its carcinogenic nature.

Another possible reason for Roy's cancer:-

He (Roy)was also subjected to an inordinate amount of Fuller's Earth. There are many respiratory health issues in the entertainment industry. Glycol based fog fluids are known to cause difficulty in breathing, respiratory distress and respiratory tract irritation. Oil based fog fluids are now classified as human carcinogens. Chlorides were often used in theatrical productions to create thick rolling smoke effects. These chlorides can cause permanent lung damage when inhaled.
Organic dusts have also been widely used and have been shown to cause a variety of acute and chronic lung problems by particulate irritation of the respiratory tract. Fuller's earth was a stage prop commonly used in film, TV and stage productions to create 'dusty' effects. Fuller's earth is a term used to describe any mineral dust and generally consists of aluminum magnesium silicates; montmorillonite, attapulgite, kaolin, kaolinite, floridin, diatomite, bentonite, palygorskite, wilkonite and halloysite. The dust from Fuller's Earth can contain various amounts of free crystalline silica which is a known human carcinogen. Palygorskite can cause fibrotic lung diseases similar to asbestosis. Acute silicosis can occur in people exposed to high concentrations of dust containing silica over a short period of time. Bentonite enables the dust to be suspended in the air for several hours and to be inhaled deeply into the lungs. Exposure can cause the inflammation of the pleura and chronic exposures may lead to chronic obstructive or restrictive lung disease.

Fuller's earth was used for example extensively in the dining room sequence from the 'Carry On Up the Khyber' film, which Roy had a major part in.

I'm not saying that passive smoking was not the cause of his cancer, but they need to look at the wider picture and not be so head in the sand with their claims.

Buying new equipment that comes loaded with spam. My new PC comes with 60 days of free antivirus and then wants you to buy it. It also has'tiles' preloaded which are just links to try to sell me stuff. My TV comes with loads of apps, most of which are shit and require payment. No thank you!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th March 2014, 9:30 AM BST

People who cite Roy Castle as concrete proof that passive smoking causes cancer. He apparently blamed his cancer on it just before he died as a result of playing his trumpet in smoky night-clubs.

1 in 5 lung cancers have nothing to do with smoking. If he smoked a cigar, it's very unlikely that it contributed to his demise, inhaling is very rare along with chain smoking.

Was at a party last night chatting to a girl who smoked menthol cigarettes, she freaked when I told her they were about to be banned thanks to the EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26355419

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 30th March 2014, 12:47 PM BST

1 in 5 lung cancers have nothing to do with smoking. If he smoked a cigar, it's very unlikely that it contributed to his demise, inhaling is very rare along with chain smoking.

Was at a party last night chatting to a girl who smoked menthol cigarettes, she freaked when I told her they were about to be banned thanks to the EU.

Ummm, my ex-smoking wife only smoked menthol. Interesting.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 30th March 2014, 12:47 PM BST

did she go menthol

tssk you marry a fag but you can't smoke one, if its menthol

Quote: sootyj @ 30th March 2014, 1:19 PM BST

tssk you marry a fag but you can't smoke one, if its menthol

That is worth a mini-booyah!