Newsjack - Series 2 Page 30

Quote: RobJ @ January 23 2010, 1:54 AM GMT

Problem I've got now, adding to my lack of comedic talent, is that, after reading Dan's latest blog, I look at everything and think someone else could have written that, it's just not original enough. Though to be fair it was always on my mind, but with it being commented on in the all important blogosphere it is now firmly crystalized in my mind.

It's just something to consider, but don't try to second guess too much. Just go with what you think works best. Sometimes the obvious angle is the one to take, because that's the funniest or the one that the audience will identify with the most.

A case in point is the MI6/Facebook story. Despite every man and his dog going for the obvious James Bond angle, which was frowned upon in some quarters, it didn't stop, say, 'The Now Show' covering that story... with a James Bond parody, and the audience really going for it.

One hint, as with the Iris Robinson story, is if you're thinking of an angle, type it into a search engine and see if someone got there first. One quick Google would have shown that there were about a million 'Mrs. Robinson' gags and song parodies already.

A very similar 'glass and a half' gag was on The News Quiz last night.

My dad's ad lib "because I'm worth it" joke about the David Cameron posters was the first thing that came out of Russell Howard's mouth on MTW this week. Is this good for my dad or bad for Russell Howard?

Also on Mock the Week this week, Blinky McMuppetface ( (c) Renegade Carpark) picked Michael Fish as his weatherman of choice for a topical weather gag, as if he'd been primed by Mikey J.

Quote: Badge @ January 23 2010, 1:17 PM GMT

Also on Mock the Week this week, Blinky McMuppetface ( (c) Renegade Carpark) picked Michael Fish as his weatherman of choice for a topical weather gag, as if he'd been primed by Mikey J.

Hmmm. Fishy.

Quote: Tam-S @ January 22 2010, 10:39 AM GMT

CORRECTIONS

•Following the announcement on last week's show, Google has decided not to leave China but will pull out of Israel instead, due to problems with the Netanyahu.

Just caught up with this thread, quality stuff Tam Laughing out loud

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 23 2010, 1:12 PM GMT

My dad's ad lib "because I'm worth it" joke about the David Cameron posters was the first thing that came out of Russell Howard's mouth on MTW this week. Is this good for my dad or bad for Russell Howard?

Depends how funny you thought it was.

Do you think it's alright for a bit of gentle ribbing of the cast? I don't want to write stuff that seems over familiar, if you know what I mean.

Quote: RobJ @ January 23 2010, 6:04 PM GMT

Do you think it's alright for a bit of gentle ribbing of the cast? I don't want to write stuff that seems over familiar, if you know what I mean.

No.

Quote: RobJ @ January 23 2010, 6:04 PM GMT

Do you think it's alright for a bit of gentle ribbing of the cast?

Concentrated on small stuff this week. Corrections and page long sketches.

Quote: chipolata @ January 25 2010, 10:07 AM GMT

Concentrated on small stuff this week. Corrections and page long sketches.

I only managed the one sketch this week, I'm definitely not a fan of the Monday morning deadline.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ January 25 2010, 10:10 AM GMT

I only managed the one sketch this week, I'm definitely not a fan of the Monday morning deadline.

No, the weekend's a dead time for the news. By the time Thursday's show rolls around, we've had a whole new wave of news stories.

Yes, as a working lad for me the effective deadline is Sunday night. I did post off a sketch, but reading the morning paper going into work more details on the story had emerged, so my sketch was out of date before they had opened their mailbox.

I've only managed to write two sketches this week.