The Thick Of It - Series 3 Page 12

I didn't see him as heading towards breakdown? Perhaps a little on the back foot what with being in such an unfamiliar scenario/position/location?

Quote: Aaron @ November 7 2009, 11:05 PM GMT

I didn't see him as heading towards breakdown? Perhaps a little on the back foot what with being in such an unfamiliar scenario/position/location?

I think that it's deliberately significant that the political hack he used to be able to threaten with being journalistically excommunicated in series 1 (Angela Heaney), in this series has been able to take the piss out of him to his face without fearing consequences. Malcolm's reign of terror and manipulation is quite clearly slipping away as the government is on its way out. Notably he does not gain a victory for himself at the end of every episode. The punch was significant, Malcolm resorting to physical aggression when his political aggression is no longer unassailable. (Would Glenn have even dared to have a debate with Malcolm about him having poached their "people's champion", during series 1 or 2?)

I don't want Malcolm to lose his mojo. :(

Quote: zooo @ November 7 2009, 11:14 PM GMT

I don't want Malcolm to lose his mojo. :(

Console

My impression from the interview Miles did, was that he'd only been cast for that one episode. He was very good though. :)

If the punch was part of his 'arc' - OK.
If it was just random and you combine it with Terri having to 'dress up' in comedy Kagool to avoid being spotted then there might be ever such a slight whiff of shark jumping.
I hope not.
Still some lovely bits.
Loved the teeny-tiny kettle.

Quote: Aaron @ November 2 2009, 12:06 PM GMT

(Although the supposedly do-no-wrong Jesse Armstrong wrote that episode.)

To be fair to Jesse, the original script goes through so many drafts and writers that it ends up being a collective responsibility.

Though even the best writers have off days, as evidenced by the mighty Armstrong & Bain's Magicians (and, though to a lesser extent, their pilot Ladies And Gentlemen).

Just to echo what has already been said: Loved yesterday's episode. Miles Jupp character was great (sadly it was just a one-off, but they should get him back next series!), and I agree with Tim: the writers are showing that Malcolm is starting to lose it. The punch came as a shock - clearly he's getting more frustrated and worried about things, and having to resort to actual violence to make up for the fact his verbal bullying is no longer as effective as it was.

Have I missed any red button gubbins, or did they only do it for the first episode? Was hoping for more from Ep 3 (quickly becoming my favourite episode of the show to date) . . .

There's a link above to episode 2's red button content. This week's is not up as yet but will probably be on the BBC Comedy Blog when it's ready.

Dan

Loved last night's epsisode. Rebecca Front unable to cope with Glenn's injury because she "used childcare" and Glenn and Malcolm's faux mateyness. Malcolm and my father have so much in common.

Much better last night, but am I the only one who thinks that Chris Addison's character is becoming too puerile and a bit redundant?

Quote: Timbo @ November 8 2009, 8:45 PM GMT

Much better last night, but am I the only one who thinks that Chris Addison's character is becoming too puerile and a bit redundant?

I kind of know what you mean. He was great in In The Loop. But some of the other characters have come to the fore now.

Yeah Nicola really came into her own this episode after a mildly shakey start in the first two - enjoying the new team dynamic with her, Ollie and Glenn.

Thanks for the link pointer, Swerytd - about to start watching ........ NOW!

Quote: Timbo @ November 8 2009, 8:45 PM GMT

I wouldn't say redundant, but I do get slightly tired of his constant picking on Glenn!

... just watched the Ep 2 red button extras - hoping it will become a regular feature, finding out about another of Robyn's past partners :D . . .

No probs

Quote: Slippery Jack @ November 8 2009, 8:59 PM GMT

I wouldn't say redundant, but I do get slightly tired of his constant picking on Glenn!

I see them as kind of brothers. Glenn sees himself as 'above Ollie' in that respect but he stills get the odd jibe in:

"... only neither of you are Doms"

:)

Dan