Stephen Fry Page 13

Have the people who still think he thinks that about women, read his blog post on the whole shebang?

It's ok if you have, I'm just surprised we can take such different messages from it. :)

Quote: zooo @ November 14 2010, 9:12 PM GMT

Have the people who still think he thinks that about women, read his blog post on the whole shebang?

It's ok if you have, I'm just surprised we can take such different messages from it. :)

Yes, I have read his blog post, and as surprised as you are about people taking a different message from it, I am surprised you weren't inferring the same as me.

To be classed as either a prostitute or a man-snaring vulture because of the shape of my genitalia is out of order.

I'd have more respect if Fry were to admit to taking out of his *ss. Whilst the majority of gay men love women, there are also those who hate women. Which side of the fence does Mr Fry sit?

I read it when it went up, maybe I missed the bit where he admitted he was talking nonsense. Would somone care to find it for me? I'm too lazy to reread, and probably didn't pay a lot of attention the first time :D

He said he was joking, talking bullshit, as one does. (That's not a direct quote! But what I gathered from reading it.) He was basically quoting what a fictional character (who he wrote to be an idiotic twat) from one of his old novels said about women.

He forgot to watch his every word, and that journalists are evil. (Which was bloody stupid of him).

Looking forward to his reunion with Hugh Laurie on Gold though.
You forget that he used to be quite a good Comedy actor & writer.
He's gone from a John Cleese to an Oscar Wilde Wannabe.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ November 14 2010, 9:46 PM GMT

Looking forward to his reunion with Hugh Laurie on Gold though.

Yes, I can't wait for that. Should be interesting!

But isn't it the case that the interview was transcribed word for word? In that case it's EXTREMELY naive of him to say something flippantly (which could be deemed quite offensive) and not put it into context. He has been in this game too long not to know that things are taken at face value unless you qualify them othewise. It is remarkably difficult to get a sense of sarcasm and irony in transcribed interviews, and it's foolish of him not to realise that.

I don't think any of the journalists have been at all underhanded with this- the original mag quoted him word for word, as did subsequent rags.

He's the only person who didn't know he was 'only joking'. It's not like he was doing a comedy show, where you expect that tongue in cheekedness, it's a serious (debateable) interview.

I can't remember the whole Interview & I won't be reading it again.
But he was at pains to say how much he hates publicity or something like that & gave examples of all the things he doesn't do unless it's important moneywise.
If I was him I'd get off Twitter, I've heard that a few poeple can read what you say on there.

The whole blog post http://www.stephenfry.com/2010/11/04/silliness/

Some bits, massively paraphrased by me...

I did a photo-shoot for the magazine, during which and after which I conversed with a profiler.

Well, I chatted to this fellow on the day; he seemed very nice and very charming and we had a pleasant, relaxed and easy conversation. That's the word, a conversation. I remember very little of it, but I can picture the narrow little room in which the latter part of it took place. At some point we chatted about gay sexuality - well, you would wouldn't you, for a gay magazine? - and as part of that conversation I repeated the old canard about how men, unlike women, were cursed with their uniquely pressing and annoying libidos. Straight men I have known have often (of course mostly in a kind of bitter jest) said how much they envied gay people the simplicity of their erotic lifestyles (cottaging and cruising and so on) and I vamped for a while on that theme. I do not believe it as some kind of eternal gender truth, I was simply taking a thought for a walk, I was "playing gracefully with ideas" to repeat Oscar's great phrase, or at least attempting to do so. But the important thing to remember is that the subject was not straight female sexuality, but gay male sexuality. It's the only sexuality of which I have direct experience and how could I presume to speak of any other?

Aside from anything else, the whole exchange was a steal from a book I wrote almost twenty years ago called The Hippopotamus in which a rancid, cantankerous old poet called Ted Wallace (loosely based on a compendium of Simon Gray, Kingsley Amis, John Osborne and others) bewails his inability to get his end away as easily as his gay friends appear to and so goes on about how women don't really have the same urges as men. That was the whole point, it was a comic silliness aimed at a gay readership.

I thought it worth making the light enough point that in some ways you could see the male gay life as a lot easier than the male straight life. But to read anything more into it than that is either wilful or stupid. I know that women enjoy sex.

As a gay man, female sexuality is patently a closed book to me. I had fondly imagined that in a free and open society one might be allowed to play with such ideas in a reasonable spirit of debate, but it seems not. It seems that such a conversation was offensive, ignorant, arrogant ... God knows what else. Ill-judged it most certainly was.

As a democracy we cannot let Fry's blatant anti-heterosexuality go unchallenged. He needs to account for his words and thoughts.

I don't buy for a second that he didn't know it was going to be an interview. His legal team would be straight on to the magazine if they thought he had been secretly recorded.

My opinion remains unwaived. He was dangerously naive at best.

Lol. Thought police!

Quote: Nat Wicks @ November 14 2010, 10:05 PM GMT

I don't buy for a second that he didn't know it was going to be an interview. His legal team would be straight on to the magazine if they thought he had been secretly recorded.

Noo, I don't think he meant it like that at all.
Just that it wasn't a sit down, Q and A situation. More a casual conversational one. I'm sure he knew it was being recorded, etc.

Quote: zooo @ November 14 2010, 10:06 PM GMT

Noo, I don't think he meant it like that at all.
Just that it wasn't a sit down, Q and A situation. More a casual conversational one. I'm sure he knew it was being recorded, etc.

That's certainly how it reads though! Maybe because I'm more sceptical about it than you are.

Well, there we are. We'll agree to disagree!

Quote: Mrs Stephen Fry

Finally decided to watch this Downton Abbey everyone's raving about. I have to say there are rather more kangaroo penises than I expected.

:D