Stephen Fry Page 15

N<3K IDST.

Quote: zooo @ November 14 2010, 9:46 PM GMT

He was basically quoting what a fictional character (who he wrote to be an idiotic twat) from one of his old novels said about women.

Likewise, Barry Humphries channels his prejudices (including racism) through his characters.

Quote: zooo @ November 14 2010, 9:46 PM GMT

He forgot to watch his every word, and that journalists are evil. (Which was bloody stupid of him).

His interview with the queer mag was transcribed verbatim. Nothing evil about that. The mainstream press then quoted Fry's assertion that women have sex either for money or to get a relationship. Nothing evil about quoting that. Have you read the full interview? It doesn't sound as if he was taking the piss.

Quote: Kenneth @ November 15 2010, 7:17 AM GMT

His interview with the queer mag

Errr

Mr Fry said the same things back in December 2008:

http://youtu.be/A211L382EVI

What a dickhead

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 15 2010, 8:57 AM GMT

Errr

It's okay to use that word if you are one. Or Australian.

Quote: Kenneth @ November 15 2010, 7:17 AM GMT

His interview with the queer mag was transcribed verbatim. Nothing evil about that. The mainstream press then quoted Fry's assertion that women have sex either for money or to get a relationship. Nothing evil about quoting that. Have you read the full interview? It doesn't sound as if he was taking the piss.

I meant the journalists afterwards that took that one piece from the original interview and crowed about it like over-excited children.

Although, I suppose now that Stephen Fry has been UNMASKED as PURE EVIL that all journalists are now as pure as the driven snow.

How easily some of you are manipulated!
Oh well, I suppose it's just Fry's turn to get attacked by the press and some easily led members of the public who can't make up their own minds and have been told it's now time to hate Fry.

(And yes, I'm aware that you'll want to say those are the very things people who don't suddenly despise Fry are guilty of. But there we are.)

You seem to be taking this very much to heart, Zooo.

I still love Stephen Fry, but it doesn't make him any less wrong in this instance. Noone is flawless.

Lol, I said earlier! This subject gets me riled up. People taking everything the papers say as truth one minute, then saying all journalists are liars the next. It's ridiculous. Believing them when it suits them.

(Didn't mean most of the people on this thread, btw. They seem to be the only people in the country who *have* done some reading and made their own minds up.)

No I agree with you. I hate the mass media and the way they manipulate the idiots in the UK. Pah.

Pah indeed!

What journalists are you talking about Zooo? Most of the stuff I read about this was pure op-ed, or throwaway culture section guff.

Quote: zooo @ November 15 2010, 10:53 AM GMT

Although, I suppose now that Stephen Fry has been UNMASKED as PURE EVIL that all journalists are now as pure as the driven snow.

How easily some of you are manipulated!
Oh well, I suppose it's just Fry's turn to get attacked by the press and some easily led members of the public who can't make up their own minds and have been told it's now time to hate Fry.

No one remotely suggested Fry was unmasked as "pure evil" or all journalists were perfect. I like Fry's novels and think QI is one of the most entertaining TV shows around today. I think Last Chance to See was poor ("Oh my God, look at that whale. Oh my goodness. Oh my. These are my whale shorts, mnyah.") because it focused too much on Fry and not enough on Adams's humourous examination of people taking certain species to the brink of extinction. As for Fry telling a fag mag that women have sex to gain either money or a stable relationship (but not pleasure), who cares? What mildly irks me is that he lied about the press misquoting him, and subsequently carried on like a petulant child who has been caught fibbing and refuses to apologise. He could have saved a lot of space simply by choosing a better quote of Wilde (in a letter to Whistler): "Be warned in time, James; and remain, as I do, incomprehensible: to be great is to be misunderstood."

He does throw his toys out of the pram an aweful lot. It's fairly tiresome.

The guy's a manic depressive, give him a break.

You do raise a good point, thanks Kevin. It's easy to forget what goes on behind the TV screen. He seems to take some very self destructive decisions though given his condition, like his twitter account seems to be as much of a source of pain as it does joy for him.