Stephen Fry Page 16

Quote: sheep2 @ November 15 2010, 9:27 AM GMT

Mr Fry said the same things back in December 2008:

http://youtu.be/A211L382EVI

For those who are interested, Stephen actually took the same "idea for a walk" even earlier than this, in a piece of first person prose which featured in his 1994 novel The Hippopotamus. His lead character, a whiskey-soaked poet named Ted, describes an ex- of his as the only woman he's known who genuinely enjoys sex. The character then goes on to examine the reasons most women don't truly enjoy sex, expresses envy of his gay friend and imagines a world of heterosexual cruising areas etc... In short, his character serves up exactly the same ideas and opinions as Fry regurgitated for the interview(s).

I'm somewhat surprised that no journalist has picked up on this, or that Fry himself hasn't pointed out that he published the same thoughts (albeit in a fictional form) 16 years ago without any fuss whatsoever - in fact, the novel was widely praised by female and male critics alike.

Um.
Tim, put your glasses on and have a proper read, eh? ;)
(It's been mentioned)

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 15 2010, 3:16 PM GMT

without any fuss whatsoever - in fact, the novel was widely praised by female and male critics alike.

Agree with that bit though. The big hypocrites :)

Quote: zooo @ November 15 2010, 3:47 PM GMT

Um.
Tim, put your glasses on and have a proper read, eh? ;)
(It's been mentioned)

Why would I bother doing that, dear? Unimpressed

To not make a tit of yourself? ;)

(hee.)

I can't be expected to wade through the endless detritus of other people's vague ramblings before posting my own - far more reasonable and better-argued - comments! I'm a very busy man, you know...

*checks Windows to see if there are any new updates to install*

*sighs*

:D

Funny how things work out. Hugh Laurie is star of - and no hyperbole here - the greatest TV show ever.

While Fry is now most famous for his (actually rather dull) posts on the Twitter service.

Hardly anyone in Britain watches House.

I think the underlying reason for this current furore is that Fry has allowed himself to be massively overused on TV and overexposed in the media in general. Any celebrity becoming a ubiquitous presence tends to lead to annoyance and resentment from the general public, which is then communicated via journalists.

Fry's best bet would be to f**k off TV and radio for a while and come up with something really good, e.g. a novel or a film (directed by, but not starring, Stephen Fry). Absence makes the heart grow fonder etc...

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 15 2010, 4:29 PM GMT

Fry's best bet would be to f**k off TV and radio for a while

I hear Belgium's quite nice this time of year.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 15 2010, 4:29 PM GMT

I think the underlying reason for this current furore is that Fry has allowed himself to be massively overused on TV and overexposed in the media in general. Any celebrity becoming a ubiquitous presence tends to lead to annoyance and resentment from the general public, which is then communicated via journalists.

He also said exactly that in the blog you haven't read.
He seems very self aware. And aware that he annoys some people. But he should hardly let that rule how he lives his life.
In my opinion he shouldn't give a crap what any of us think of him.

Quote: zooo @ November 15 2010, 4:29 PM GMT

Hardly anyone in Britain watches House.

I do. And it's a genuinely brilliant show, another example of how US drama craps all over our own feeble offerings at the moment. I would never watch the f**king awful medical soap operas which are passed off as proper drama in this country...

Careful how you talk about Doctors!

Quote: zooo @ November 15 2010, 4:29 PM GMT

He also said exactly that in the blog you haven't read.

Am I now required to read Stephen Fry's blog before I can express an opinion?

And rather than blogging about it, why doesn't he just go and do it?

You're welcome to say that he shouldn't give a toss what anyone thinks. But I think he probably can't stand any form of criticism. I'm afraid that backlashes and criticism are the inevitable consequences of (anyone) doing what they feel like and not caring what others think.

Quote: zooo @ November 15 2010, 4:32 PM GMT

Careful how you talk about Doctors!

I was rather more thinking about Casualty and Holby City, to be honest. Really terrible, bland, sausage factory television.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 15 2010, 4:38 PM GMT

Am I now required to read Stephen Fry's blog before I can express an opinion?

Was just conversing!