Do you GROW? Page 7

Quote: chipolata @ March 26 2010, 4:20 PM GMT

I do like a freshly dug new potato. But I haven't got the soil.

Please explain; I don't understand gay slang.

This year I'm growing salad greens, parsley, and grass (the monocotyledon variety, not the more infamous dicotyledon kind) - mainly for my pets. Although I might have a dib at the salad greens.

Do you have a big garden, Slag?

Harruumphhhh! Please tell me this is not your usual chat up line.

Quote: chipolata @ March 26 2010, 10:27 PM GMT

Do you have a big garden, Slag?

Mine is quite modest - like the rest of my proportions. :(

I usually like to plant things from seed but I did buy a few daffodils to plant in the front garden.
And very nice they look too.

I bought 100 25kg sacks of Scottish Seed Potatoes in January. To date, I have sold 75 sacks, covering my outlay.

If I sell the rest, all well & good [ker-ching], if not, the remainder will go in my land & be sold at the roadside when harvested [ker-ching].

Win/win situation. I grow money.

Just eaten my first thing from the Garden this year.
A Radish!
It was lovely.. for a Radish.

My strawberry's are just coming through, yam.

Quote: Leevil @ May 16 2010, 12:43 AM BST

My strawberry's are just coming through, yam.

My strawberries are just staring to look like berries, but I don't think I'm gonna get many this year. My broad beans are looking great. If I don't get a single actual edible broad bead off them I won't care cos they just look cool. I made a tripod for them to grow up, and everything. :)

:D my broad beans only produced one pod last year and I forgot to harvest it.

Quote: Leevil @ May 16 2010, 3:18 AM BST

:D my broad beans only produced one pod last year and I forgot to harvest it.

I'd be happy with that. I just enjoy watching the bloody things grow.

I've just started eating my purple-sprouting broccoli. Have you seen how much it costs in shops? Like, £1.50 a handful? Maybe the high price makes it taste better, because fresh from the garden it just tastes like broccoli.

Quote: Rob H @ May 16 2010, 3:13 AM BST

My strawberries are just staring to look like berries, but I don't think I'm gonna get many this year.

I didn't, last year, because birds would eat them. Must get some netting.

Quote: Nogget @ May 16 2010, 5:44 AM BST

I've just started eating my purple-sprouting broccoli. Have you seen how much it costs in shops? Like, £1.50 a handful? Maybe the high price makes it taste better, because fresh from the garden it just tastes like broccoli.

I love growing that, I love having things you can eat straight from the plant. Need to plant some more this year, hopefully not too late.

Gawd, I'm so behind everyone else. My tomato plants are only about 6 inches and nothing showing on the carrot front yet.

Can anyone recommend anything else I can still plant now and hopefully eat in the summer? I have currently have herbs, toms, carrots and sweetcorn on the go.