Do you GROW? Page 6

The whole garden or just the dug bit.

Quote: bigfella @ November 5 2009, 10:26 PM GMT

The whole garden or just the dug bit.

The dug bit. I forget that you call your back yards "gardens" while we reserve the term for actual plots of vegetables and plants. :)

1000 square feet is about 30 feet by 30 feet. It's probably rectangular, so perhaps 40 feet by 25 feet.

Okay so that is managable.

So what do I plant?

Nice decking BTW!

Yup!
Spring is back.

I've got some Rocket, Jalapeno's & Tomatoes on the windowsill.
and plan to plant a few more things over the weekend.

Oh & I put a few Daffodils in the front.
Good old Spring!
I like Sunshine.

Quote: bigfella @ November 6 2009, 3:10 AM GMT

So what do I grow? Planting in January.

What do you want?
Food?
Cut flowers?
Ornamental gourds?
A place to dispose of bodies?

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ March 26 2010, 2:27 AM GMT

I've got some Rocket, Jalapeno's & Tomatoes on the windowsill.
and plan to plant a few more things over the weekend.

Every windowsill in my house is covered in seedlings at the moment; tomatoes, squashes and herbs mainly. Got to plant more seeds directly outside this weekend including carrots and sweetcorn.

Quote: DaButt @ November 6 2009, 3:29 AM GMT

The dug bit. I forget that you call your back yards "gardens" while we reserve the term for actual plots of vegetables and plants. :)

Yeah, pardon us for inventing the language. :D

In this country a yard is where you find young people happily stabbing each other, or perhaps injecting drugs, or perhaps having sex, or more probably, all three. Our gardens are more prosaic spaces.

We have three different types of garden, the vegetable garden, the formal garden and the lady garden. Different things get planted in each.

I find lady gardens need a lot of attention, far more than formal or vegetable types. Do you use a flymo or ride on mower in yours?

Quote: Marc P @ March 26 2010, 8:07 AM GMT

Yeah, pardon us for inventing the language.

Laughing out loud

Also, British "back yards" do actually tend to resemble gardens, which is probably another reason we call them "gardens".

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 26 2010, 8:17 AM GMT

In this country a yard is where you find young people happily stabbing each other, or perhaps injecting drugs, or perhaps having sex, or more probably, all three.

We call that kind of a place "Chicago."

Quote: Tim Walker @ March 26 2010, 9:04 AM GMT

Also, British "back yards" do actually tend to resemble gardens, which is probably another reason we call them "gardens".

Your "gardens" are messy, overgrown patches of weeds with a bunch of discarded toys and beer cans and a small shed that's in the advanced stages of decomposition.

Then an odd little man, a grumpy big man and a bra-less matron come in, clean it up, lay a footpath, plant a few shrubs and install a water feature.

Quote: DaButt @ March 26 2010, 1:56 PM GMT

Your "gardens" are messy, overgrown patches of weeds with a bunch of discarded toys and beer cans and a small shed that's in the advanced stages of decomposition.

I don't mind any other insults you care to throw our way, but when you start having a pop at the Great British Garden, you go too far, sir! Unimpressed

Quote: Tim Walker @ March 26 2010, 3:18 PM GMT

I don't mind any other insults you care to throw our way, but when you start having a pop at the Great British Garden, you go too far, sir! Unimpressed

Blame that Tits guy, not me.

I do like a freshly dug new potato. But I haven't got the soil.