Anyone betting on the Grand National? Page 10

Quote: Chappers @ 11th April 2022, 3:47 PM

Only 2 died this year! ONLY!!!!!!

Correction - 4!!!!

Unacceptable.

Certainly is, but they must have their "sport"................

Since the first Grand National in 1839, 84 horses* have died during the event.

A total of 61 horses* have now died at the Aintree festival since 2000,

*Presumably that's since they made "improvements"

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 12th April 2021, 10:17 PM

. It's nothing like the real test it used to be, I remember seeing the horses come down almost vertically at I think The Chair. Last few times I've watched it they nowhere near do that now, which is sad in a way because that added to the real sporting thrills

Wow, how thrilling - bet you used to wet yourself, with the excitement

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th April 2022, 9:47 AM

The fences are dramatically lower than they used to be.

Oh, I see, then these people are talking out of their arses:-

"Some within the horseracing community, including some with notable achievements in the Grand National, such as Ginger McCain and Bob Champion, have argued that the lowering of fences and the narrowing of ditches, primarily designed to increase horse safety, has had the adverse effect by encouraging the runners to race faster. During the 1970s and 1980s the Grand National saw a total of 12 horses die (half of which were at Becher's Brook); in the next 20-year period from 1990 to 2010, when modifications to the course were most significant, there were 17 equine fatalities."

* Perhaps next time you are talking to Neddy or Dobbin, or whatever you call your horses, see if you can get a comment, from the horse's mouth - AHH! Perhaps you own Mr. Ed?

Quote: Chappers @ 11th April 2021, 6:35 PM

How many horses died this year?

Quote: Lazzard @ 11th April 2021, 9:07 PM

One.

Wrong - again

To say that Aussies like to bet is a bit of an understatement but it's been banned in every state except,sadly,Victoria.

Bloody hell, you know it's bad when even Australia can take the moral high ground over us.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th April 2022, 11:14 AM

Wow, how thrilling - bet you used to wet yourself, with the excitement

Yes, and I even wrote to ask if I could help shoot the horses. Alas I got no reply. ☹

Shame ?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th April 2022, 11:14 AM

Wrong - again

What are you on about, you lunatic?

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th April 2022, 5:07 PM

Well the answer was 4.

2 for the Grand National itself, another two over the three days of racing with different race lengths, number of fences etc. The length of the GN itself is considered the biggest risk to a horse's health, and yet both horses who died were injured well before the finish. Also these are extremely fit flatbred horses according to Bob Champion the other night, so I can't see how the increased speed due to shorter fences is the culprit. Isn't the answer horses have always died in racing, and eventing, so to avoid any deaths you'd have to ban equine sport.

Thank you everyone for your full and varied responses to my consultation exercise.

The one that I didn't even begin myself.

I think all of the key arguments have now been put forward in their totopoly.

Time for everyone I think to get on their hind legs back to London.

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th April 2022, 5:07 PM

I see, name calling - well that's just about your level, when you've clearly lost the argument.

Chappers gave you the answer..............

Quote: Chappers @ 13th April 2022, 7:36 PM

Well the answer was 4.

Check the date on my post, Herc.

I think this has run its course (Ha) and I've lost interest

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th April 2022, 9:19 AM

I think this has run its course (Ha) and I've lost interest

Because you've worked you got it wrong.
?

I got it wrong? I got it wrong?!

You really are a piece of work, and such a sad loser.

As Vic would say " You wouldn't let it lie"

How can I get it wrong, when horses do die in the Grand National (4 this year, not 1 as you said), and as for "The fences are dramatically lower than they used to be.", which you came out with and which two people in the business, including Bob Champion, have said the lower fences etc. have exacerbated the situation, which is borne out by, out of 84 deaths, 61 of them have been since the year 2000.

But then of course, we must bow to someone who has a couple of horses, which makes him an expert on steeplechasing, when the facts tell us different.

I expect you get miffed when you move out of the circle of people who hang on your every word, and find people disagreeing with what you say as being gospel, so perhaps we should make allowances, which doesn't involve calling people names.