Anyone betting on the Grand National? Page 8

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th April 2022, 11:58 AM

My answer to the thread title is - Nope.

Agreed! On principle. Horses die!

Same here

unless bet 365 offer me a free bet

Quote: Chappers @ 8th April 2022, 9:16 PM

Agreed! On principle. Horses die!

Sport of Kings, Dave, that's what they call it - what a load of bollocks. You see tweedy knobs with the same trilby hat (mit feather) prattling on and on and on and on, and tiny squeaky voiced men, then spend half hour listening to them and the "race" is over in minutes, and they call that enthralling.
Just a shame it's not the tiny men that die, but the horses forced to jump over ridiculously high fences.

sits back to watch the shit fly....................

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th April 2022, 11:25 PM

but the horses forced to jump over ridiculously high fences.

Then why do riderless horses still jump them? They couldn't make the fences any shorter, infact they're described as hurdles now, they are so tame. Horses are adventurous by nature and love a good frolic. Still haven't placed mine but I'll take a punt on Run Wild Fred, Delta Work, Snow Leopardess, Discorama, Minella Times, and 6th Longhouse Poet. Where's my 50p piece?

I'll not bet until the parade ring.

Iv'e had a good week at Aintree. 4 bets, 4 winners so I'm playing with the bookies brass today.

Paul McCartney has a gambler. Getting Better.

And if you watched it, quite a few carried on riderless, jumping beechers and valentines brook for fun.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 10th April 2022, 9:33 AM

............................. for fun.

How do you know?

Were any little men injured? ?

Re Horse cruelty etc
You can't force a horse to jump anything it doesn't want to - any rider will tell you that.
The fences are dramatically lower than they used to be.
They do actually love it.
If there is any cruelty it is the cruelty of tightfistedness - because when the animal sustains an injury they shoot it, rather than going to the expense of treating it and then putting it out to grass.

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th April 2022, 9:47 AM

R
They do actually love it.

How do you know? Do they have a big smile on their face, or hoof with air with a horsey "Yay Hay, Hay, Hay,"?

Watch wild horses. They love to run together in a group and jump over obstacles.

Love it............

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 9th April 2022, 7:44 AM

Then why do riderless horses still jump them? They couldn't make the fences any shorter, infact they're described as hurdles now, they are so tame. Horses are adventurous by nature and love a good frolic. Still haven't placed mine but I'll take a punt on Run Wild Fred, Delta Work, Snow Leopardess, Discorama, Minella Times, and 6th Longhouse Poet. Where's my 50p piece?

That was almost as atrocious as mine.

I had Two For Gold (after the band Shed Seven's song Going for Gold - they came from York and I lived there), Good Boy Bobby, (because I got in touch with a late friend Nigel who was into horse racing before his death on the other side - ie telepathically - and he sent me a message in my head to say the horse of Nigel Twiston Davies : also because of one of my northern England sports heroes Bobby Robson).........

.........and then Freewheelin Dylan (because I like that album by Bob Dylan and it features "Girl From The North Country) and Escaria Ten (because Escaria is a genus of moths of the family Noctuidae, the Sunaks live in Richmond, North Yorkshire so again there is that northern connection and both of them are so tight that they rarely open their purses and on the rare occasions they do moths fly out of them) .

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th April 2022, 9:50 AM

How do you know?

I own horses.
My wife and all my children ride.

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th April 2022, 11:28 AM

I own horses.
My wife and all my children ride.

And you talk to them............the horses, that is - I see.