Anyone betting on the Grand National? Page 13

There's 'betting in the forum topic.
And as Lazzard pointed to - unless you are a vegan, you don't really have the right to complain about the race.

WTF has that got to do with it

Enjoy your bacon butty this morning - from a slaughtered pig.

There's a big difference between an animal entering a slaughter house and being dispatched humanely, than one being entered in a so called "sport"

I expect you enjoy bullfighting

I don't like any animal cruelty, pig, horse or bull but if you complain about one type of animals untimely death but not another then hypocrisy is afoot.
Did you know they shoot injured horses with a bullet or bolt gun so they can sell the carcass for animal food. They could use an injection but then the horse has to be cremated.

And I have been to the races many times and heard the crack of the rifle as a horse was put down. It's a horrifying sound, gut-wrenching and it doesn't sit easily with me.
But I am not a vegetarian or vegan so I have no right to be against racing.

Oh, and the first time this happened, it was at York races many years ago. A 5F flat race for 2 year olds that had never run before. A beautiful horse called Black Jewel broke its leg right in front of the stands.

How about cock fighting? But you need to get yours out first, then "en garde"

Non-vegans can of course complain about the Grand National as it is a sport, run for fun. And I don't personally think the race should be banned, just make the jumps tiny. Problem solved. You can close the thread now.

Quote: chipolata @ 6th April 2023, 11:42 AM

...................... it is a sport, run for fun..................

I don't think the horses see it that way

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th April 2023, 8:10 AM

And as Lazzard pointed to - unless you are a vegan, you don't really have the right to complain about the race.

Let's treasure this moment of Stephen Goodlad and Lazzard being in agreement about something! 🎈

It is a rare and beautiful moment when the Gary Linekar and Kelvin Mackenzie of the BCG unite as one.

Quote: a plate @ 6th April 2023, 12:34 PM

Let's treasure this moment of Stephen Goodlad and Lazzard being in agreement about something! 🎈

Yes, Hallelujah! 💕

Quote: chipolata @ 6th April 2023, 2:33 PM

It is a rare and beautiful moment when the Gary Linekar and Kelvin Mackenzie of the BCG unite as one.

Thanks for he compliment!
'Kelvin' might want a word, though.

Neither are a compliment but it does show that one side can bend their ideals.

Ironically, I just read (and it sounds like an episode from Star Trek) that the vegans are planning to raid the Grand National.
They will run on the course during the race Emily Davison style and stand at fences.
It should be an even more entertaining race this year.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 7th April 2023, 8:42 AM

Ironically, I just read (and it sounds like an episode from Star Trek) that the vegans are planning to raid the Grand National.
They will run on the course during the race Emily Davison style and stand at fences.
It should be an even more entertaining race this year.

That was actually the reason for my original post re vegans.
But I think the meaning got lost in the, now traditional, annual running of the row about horse racing,
Which I will no be entering this year as I could do without the ear-bashing.

I reaslised that after reading about it.

Which I will no be entering this year as I could do without the ear-bashing.

You'd never get over Beechers.