Anyone betting on the Grand National? Page 6

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th April 2014, 4:42 PM BST

3rd and 4th for me E/W.... 11/1 & 33/1 so colleted a nice little wad.

Congrats Ste.

A bit of after-timing here, but I had the winner :)

Apologies for not putting the tip up on here, although I posted it on everybody's favourite Social Network.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ 5th April 2014, 5:01 PM BST

Congrats Ste.

A bit of after-timing here, but I had the winner :)

Apologies for not putting the tip up on here, although I posted it on everybody's favourite Social Network.

Blimey! 25-1. Nice one, Gerry. Guess you'll be treating yourself to a glass of Pinot, or two.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 5th April 2014, 5:53 PM BST

Blimey! 25-1. Nice one, Gerry. Guess you'll be treating yourself to a glass of Pinot, or two.

Cheers George, I must correct you though, I got on at 33/1 this morning :)

Pah same as last year a horse won it, its pretty much rigged

It was good fun when the one that had been leading for ages got taken out by that riderless horse!

Wonder how they arranged that?

Quote: sootyj @ 4th April 2014, 6:58 PM BST

There's not that many jobs for illiterate midgets.

Did you see those shots inside the changing room?

Like a first day at secondary school.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th April 2014, 4:42 PM BST

3rd and 4th for me E/W.... 11/1 & 33/1 so colleted a nice little wad.

I'm glad you got excited and all that... But really, too much information!

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ 5th April 2014, 6:21 PM BST

Cheers George, I must correct you though, I got on at 33/1 this morning :)

:)

Quote: Oldrocker @ 4th April 2014, 12:44 AM BST

Only mugs.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 5th April 2014, 8:54 PM BST

It was good fun...

!

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th April 2014, 10:26 PM BST

!

Selective quoting worthy of the Daily Mail and I didn't put any money on.

I bet on Vernon Kay to win.

(I may have got a bit mixed up.)

Any tips from our top punters this year? I watched that virtual GN thing last night and wasn't too impressed, it predictably gave the win to the strong favourite. I don't follow horse racing too much but I have my own theory that a lot of favourites are favourites just because of a well chosen catchy name. People like the name so everybody piles in to bet on it and it ends up favourite, just like Red Rum did, and look what happened to him, could only come 2nd two years running!

With a clear round Cloth Cap can't be beaten but it's the clear round bit that matters. So much hampering and fallen horses in the way.
4/1 is too poor a price for this kind of race.
I shall have a couple of quid E/W on Definitely Red and that's only because he's the only horse and trainer from Yorkshire.

Bristol de mai will be my biggest bet (e/w) The class horse in the race but has to carry a stone and half more than Cloth Cap.
And for over 4 miles, that's a big handicap.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 10th April 2021, 9:40 AM

With a clear round Cloth Cap can't be beaten but it's the clear round bit that matters. So much hampering and fallen horses in the way.

In which case bet on-line with Corals. Money back (up to £10) as a free bet (valid for seven days) if your horse fails to finish (first bet only). They are also going each way the 1st six. Of course the fences are much easier now - and the course shorter - than they were in the days of Foinavon and Red Rum.

Alternatively Bet365 are returning 50% of your stake (up to £125) on all each way bets placed before noon. Provided you have an account with them already. They are going each way the first 5 (or you can choose to go each way up to the first 10 but at lesser odds via their each way extra link).

Yes, this handicapping thing is unpopular with the horse owners, didn't Tiger Roll pull out because of the extra weight it was to carry? Seems like a shot in the foot by the race holders, surely the hype and interest and resulting money they'd have got with a horse attempting to equal the record of 3 wins merited a bit of leniency. Eh?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 10th April 2021, 9:40 AM

With a clear round Cloth Cap can't be beaten but it's the clear round bit that matters. So much hampering in the way.

Yes it must be like racing against 39 Sunshines and Godots all attempting to stop you winning with their unsporting shenanigans. Pirate