Anyone betting on the Grand National? Page 7

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 10th April 2021, 10:02 AM

Yes, this handicapping thing is unpopular with the horse owners, didn't Tiger Roll pull out because of the extra weight it was to carry? Seems like a shot in the foot by the race holders, surely the hype and interest and resulting money they'd have got with a horse attempting to equal the record of 3 wins merited a bit of leniency. Eh?

The handicapping is based on each horse's official ratings based on past performances. Fiddling about with those to please the connections of one horse would set a very dangerous precedent. Most owners/trainers feel their horses are rated too highly.

Michael O'Leary was just trying to make a point - much as he does with Ryanair's policies. He probably believed Tiger Roll wouldn't win anyway and was looking for a way out as, at the time, he'd run very poorly over the last year or two. Until he went and hacked up at Cheltenham last month. By which time he'd already been taken out.

I'm not sure how Aintree would have got any more money if Tiger Roll had run. There are no spectators to pay admission prices and, in any case, it is invariably a maximum attendance regardless of who runs.

Yes Bristol De Mai is one of my six EW picks, may be a few more £1 ones yet. My only on the nose pick is Any Second Now 10/1 and came 3rd in that virtual thing with 2 of the 4 tipsters backing it to win.

How many horses died this year?

One.
Plus, I lost £80.
So, a bad day all round.

Mines still running and if I see it I'll f**king shoot it myself . What a waste of two quid :(

Quote: Lazzard @ 11th April 2021, 10:07 PM

One.

Not good enough I'm afraid!

By that I mean one death is one death too many. It should be banned.

No. It's as safe as you can get without destroying what it is, many think it's already been destroyed, in essence from what it was. It's nothing like the real test it used to be, I remember seeing the horses come down almost vertically at I think The Chair. Last few times I've watched it they nowhere near do that now, which is sad in a way because that added to the real sporting thrills, horses like to compete and test themselves as much as humans.

Look no further than the great Red Rum, he lived for the race, long before it had been modified for snowflakes. There have been more horse deaths at Badminton in the last five years now. And horses die after flat races or in training, as humans do in all sport and exercise, there's risk in most sporting endeavours. Btw can someone explain to me what the point of the water jump is when the water is never touched. :S Was this made shorter too?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 12th April 2021, 8:32 AM

Mines still running and if I see it I'll f**king shoot it myself . What a waste of two quid :(

:D good one Teddy. Probably hasn't made it to Goodison Park yet.

When it does it will probably get in the first team the way we're playing , tonight was a very hard watch indeed .

Like the old joke.

Mine was so far behind it had to tiptoe into the stables so as not to wake the other horses.

Once again Bet365 are returning 50% of your stake (up to £125) on all each way bets placed before noon Saturday. Provided you have an account with them already. They are going each way the first 6 (or you can choose to go each way up to the first 10 but at lesser odds via their each way extra link). So you can double your intended stake (and therefore your potential profit) for the originally intended layout.

Corals on-line are giving your stake back (up to £10) as a free bet (valid for seven days) on your first bet on the race if your horse fails to finish. They are also going each way the 1st six.

Betfred on-line are going each way the first 8 until midnight Friday.

My answer to the thread title is - Nope.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th April 2022, 11:58 AM

My answer to the thread title is - Nope.

That's not strictly correct. I'm sure somebody is.

I was talking earlier in the week with guy who owes me a favour or two and he said I could do a lot worse than have a few quid on Good Boy Bobby in the Grand National. He knows one end of a horse from the other (which is, incidentally, always a big plus when you're feeding it an apple) and he tapped his nose as he told me.

33/1 so fingers crossed.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 8th April 2022, 1:21 PM

That's not strictly correct. I'm sure somebody is.

Please find attached nit comb.................. ?

GOOD BOY BOBBY might be an omen for me. My team in the FPL is called Goodboys AFC.