The Sitcom Project Page 8

I have had an idea for a long time called the Devil's Blurb.I have done some work towards it but thats by the by. Its based on a modern day worker for the Devil, who has to aquire a certain ammount of soul's. He advertises on My Space and You Tube etc. All very modernised.

EDIT: Changed my vote, to Devils Blurb.

It's your vote and it's up to you. But that idea seems more like a 10 minutes short, like Marion and Geoff. Do you really think a single shot of a taxi could last half an hour?

Wouldn't something like a barman psychiatrist have more freedom?

Well Help! worked and that was just different characters in a psychiatrists room, this would be the same, a bunch of unique and funny characters talking to this taxi driver throughout the half hour.

I wrote a film and 80% was in a taxi, was brilliant. I'm looking into getting it filmed.

Quote: Gavin @ April 18, 2007, 6:38 PM

I wrote a film and 80% was in a taxi, was brilliant.

If I'm not mistaken, so was the outstandingly funny 'Marion and Jeff' with the equally brilliant Rob Bydon.

My vote goes to the husband/in law thing.

As a few of you have introduced yourselves a bit, I'll do the same.

My Introduction:

My name is Andrew. I'm 21 years old (for a few more weeks!) I live in Northern Ireland, but was born in London. I have been writing for about two years. My writing style is along the lines of Graham Lineham and Arther Mathews (Father Ted/Big Train/Black Books/The IT Crowd). I've only ever writen by myself, but would love to have a go at writing with a partner or as part of a group.

Idea Vote

* Leevil - husband/in law
* Gavin - Devil's Blurb
* Scott Evans - husband/in law
* earman2009 - husband/in law
* David Chapman - Pub/ Seaside idea
* charley rance - Devil's Blurb
* Croydesponger -
* Martin Holmes - Devil's Blurb
* Baumski - Devil's Blurb

So we're three votes down, I think if we close this off tomorrow we can push on with fleshing the chosen idea out.

Edit - If I've made any mistakes please do let me know

Sorry - I've been asleep. Seaside thing looks interesting.

OK guys,

Here's a synopsis for the first episode of a sitcom called 'Accommodating Moose'

"What happens when you've entrusted your brother to take care of your home and your dog while you're away on holiday with your wife, only to find on your return that your home is unfit for human habitation, the neighbours are threatening eviction and litigation, and your dog is undergoing colonic irrigation?"

Every episode centres around two brothers - Malcolm, dependable, relaible and Bob, devious and manipulative - and Moose, a misunderstood skinhead who hero worships Alan Titchmarsh.

Bob’s exploits become increasingly more daring, and at the end of each episode viewers are left wondering how he has managed to get away with “it” and to what depths he will stoop next time.

ACCOMMODATING MOOSE
EPISODE ONE

CAST LIST
MALCOLM: Early thirties
DEBBIE: Late twenties to early thirties
BOB: Early to mid twenties
MOOSE: Early to mid twenties
AMBER: Twenties
DAVID PASCOE: OAP
CUSTOMS OFFICER:

SCENE. 1/1 EXT. EARLY MORNING.
SET. ENTRANCE. HEATHROW AIRPORT.

PASSENGERS AND VISITORS COMING AND GOING. NORMAL BUILD-UP OF AIRPORT TRAFFIC - TAXI’S, CARS, ETC.

SCENE. 1/2 INT. EARLY MORNING.
SET. AIRPORT. CUSTOMS HALL. APPROACH TO THE ‘NOTHING TO DECLARE’ CHANNEL.

A FREE FLOW OF PASSENGERS STREAM THROUGH THE ‘NOTHING TO DECLARE’ ENTRANCE.

SCENE. 1/3 INT. EARLY MORNING.
SET. AIRPORT. CUSTOMS HALL. NOTHING TO DECLARE CHANNEL.

AN ARROGANT LOOKING CUSTOMS OFFICER STANDING BEHIND A LONG DESK CLOSELY OBSERVES THE STEADY FLOW OF PASSENGERS COMING THROUGH. HIS ARMS ARE FOLDED AND HIS FACE IS EXPRESSIONLESS.

SCENE. 1/4 INT. EARLY MORNING.
SET. AIRPORT. CUSTOMS HALL. NOTHING TO DECLARE CHANNEL.

A VERY TRAVEL WEARY MALCOLM AND DEBBIE ARE WALKING THROUGH THE HALL. MALCOLM IS PUSHING A LUGGAGE TROLLEY CONTAINING TWO SUITCASES, A HOLDALL AND A BAG OF DUTY-FREE SHOPPING. DEBBIE IS HOLDING MALCOLM BY HIS ARM.

OFFICER:(OOV) Excuse me sir – madam.

REALISING THE CUSTOMS OFFICER IS TALKING TO THEM, MALCOLM WEARILY SHUTS HIS EYES AND SHAKES HIS HEAD BEFORE GIVING A RESIGNED LOOK TO DEBBIE. TOGETHER THEY APPROACH THE TABLE.

OFFICER:(DEADPAN) If you’ll be kind enough to put your cases on the table, please.

MALCOLM, WITH DEBBIE’S HELP, STRUGGLES BUT MANAGES TO LAY THE SUITCASES ON THE TABLE.

OFFICER:Have you anything to declare?

MALCOLM:(TIRED) No.

OFFICER:Are the cases locked?

MALCOLM LOOKS AT DEBBIE AND SHE BEGINS TO SEARCH HER HANDBAG FOR THE KEYS.

SCENE. 1/5 INT. MID-MORNING.
SET. FRONT DOOR. MALCOLM AND DEBBIE’S FLAT.

BOB, WEARING NOTHING MORE THAN A DRESSING GOWN IS IN A PASSIONATE CLINCH WITH A VERY GOOD LOOKING GIRL, AMBER, WHO IS HOLDING ONTO A PLASTIC CARRIER BAG ALMOST AS TIGHTLY AS SHE IS BOB. THEIR KISS SEEMS TO GO ON FOREVER UNTIL BOB MANAGES TO BREAK FREE. THEY HOLD HANDS AND TENDERLY GAZE AT EACH OTHER.

AMBER:I’ve had a wonderful time, Bob.

BOB:Yeah, me too. I’m really sorry about the, you know, what happened before. I can’t think what happened. Normally I can handle my lager.

BOB PULLS AMBER UP CLOSE AND NUZZLES HER NECK.

BOB:(SEDUCTIVELY) But I’ve been drinking in your beauty too, Amber my darling, and my mum told me I’d be sick if I mixed my drinks.

AMBER:(GIGGLES) Oh, Bob, you’re so sweet, you say the most romantic things.

BOB:(PASSIONATELY) But not as sweet as you, my little Amber nectar.

AMBER:(PULLING AWAY) Thanks for the loan of the top, anyway. (HOLDS UP BAG) I’m never comfortable wearing vomit on my blouse.

BOB:Think nothing of it.

BOB TRIES TO PULL AMBER TOWARDS HIM AGAIN, BUT SHE PUTS OUT AN ARM TO STOP HIM.

AMBER:Are you sure you’re not married?

BOB:I’ve told you I’m not. (ROMANTICALLY) Look, I don’t know if I’m in a garden, or in a crowded avenue.

AMBER:What?

BOB:I’ve only got eyes for you.

AMBER:So why have you got all those girls things in your wardrobe?

BOB:I can see I can get nothing past you, Amber. Looks like my little secret’s out.

AMBER:(ALARMED) What secret?

BOB:Don’t worry, you’re safe with me, I’m only storing a few things for my sister.

AMBER:You’ve got a sister! What’s her name?

BOB:Sis. (PULLING AMBER TOWARDS HIM) Never mind all that because we’ve still got unfinished business to get through.

BOB AND AMBER KISS. THE PHONE RINGS.

SCENE. 1/6 EXT. MID-MORNING.
SET. AIRPORT. CAR PARK

DEBBIE IS SITTING IN THE CAR WHILE MALCOLM LOADS THE REMAINING BITS OF LUGGAGE IN THE BOOT OF THE FORD MONDEO AND SLAMS SHUT THE TAILGATE. DEBBIE IS ON HER MOBILE PHONE PATIENTLY WAITING FOR HER CALL TO BE ANSWERED. MALCOLM GETS IN THE DRIVERS SIDE.

MALCOLM:Well?

DEBBIE SHAKES HER HEAD IMPATIENTLY.

SCENE. 1/7 INT. MID-MORNING
SET FRONT DOOR MALCOLM AND DEBBIE’S FLAT.

THE PHONE IS STILL RINGING. AMBER PULLS AWAY FROM BOB WHO IS NOW NUZZLING HEAVILY AT HER NECK.

AMBER:Shouldn’t you get that?

BOB:Get what?

AMBER:The phone.

BOB:The what?

AMBER:The phone!

BOB:(NOW NUZZLING VERY DEEPLY) Sorry, I can’t hear you. The phone’s ringing.

BOB AND AMBER CONTINUE KISSING PASSIONATELY.

SCENE 1/8. EXT. MID-MORNING
SET. AIRPORT CAR PARK

THE MONDEO DRIVES OUT AND AWAY FROM THE CAR PARK.

SCENE 1/9. EXT. MID-MORNING
SET. MOTORWAY, M4

WIDE ANGLE SHOT OF FREE FLOWING TRAFFIC. THE MONDEO PASSES A SIGN FOR THE M4 TO LONDON.

SCENE 1/10. EXT. MID-MORNING.
SET. INT MONDEO CABIN.

MALCOLM:Well, the traffic’s moving so at least that’s something I suppose.

DEBBIE:If you say so.

MALCOLM:And with any luck we should be home in about an hour or so, give or take.

DEBBIE:That is assuming we’ve got a home to go back to of course.

MALCOLM:Oh, please don’t start all that again.

DEBBIE:Well, why isn’t he answering the phone?

MALCOLM:I don’t know. Be reasonable, I’m sure there’s a perfectly good explanation, so stop worrying.

DEBBIE:He’s your brother. That’s reason enough don’t you think? Not one of your brightest ideas, was it, getting Bob to flat-sit?

MALCOLM:Oh, come on, we were stuck. We needed someone to look after Max and he was available.

DEBBIE:Malc, Bob doesn’t know how to treat people let alone animals so why trust him to look after our dog? Barbara Woodhouse he isn’t.

MALCOLM:He gave his word and I believe him. Just give him the benefit of the doubt for once, hmm? Why can’t you do that?

DEBBIE:Because Bob is what Bob does and every time we get your ‘baby’ brother involved in anything, there’s always a price to pay. Have you forgotten Amsterdam? He got you to pay up front for everyone for the entire weekend but then the whole bloody crowd of them went except you?

MALCOLM:So, alright, he made a mistake, who hasn’t? He just forgot to pick me up on the way to the ferry.

DEBBIE:But it was your stag do!

MALCOLM:You’ll see. You’re wrong. You’re reading too much into this.

DEBBIE:(RESIGNED) We’ll see.

DEBBIE SWITCHES HER MOBILE PHONE ON AND PRESSES THE REDIAL BUTTON.

SCENE. 1/11. INT. MID-MORNING
SET. KITCHEN. MALCOLM AND DEBBIE’S FLAT.

STILL DRESSED IN ONLY A DRESSING GOWN, BOB IS DOING A FRY-UP WHILE LISTENING TO ‘FREE BIRD’ BY LYNARD SKYNARD COMING FROM A RADIO CASSETTE PLAYER. AS HE IS COOKING, BOB IS RHYTHMICALLY SWAYING AND HEADBANGING IN TIME WITH THE MUSIC AND CONSEQUENTLY DOES NOT HEAR THE PHONE RINGING OVER THE HEAVY ROCK AND ROLL SOUND.

SCENE. 1/12. EXT. MOTORWAY
SET INT MONDEO CABIN.

MOBILE PHONE HELD LOOSELY IN HER HAND, DEBBIE LOOKS AT MALCOLM AND PULLS AN ‘I TOLD YOU SO’ EXPRESSION. MALCOLM STRUGGLES TO THINK OF A PLAUSIBLE EXPLANATION.

MALCOLM:He’s probably out walking Max.

DEBBIE:(SARCASTICALLY) Yes, but will he remember to bring him back!

SCENE. 1/13. INT. MID-MORNING
SET. LOUNGE. MALCOLM AND DEBBIE’S FLAT.

MOOSE OPENS THE SPARE BEDROOM DOOR AND GINGERLY WALKS INTO THE LOUNGE. HE IS LOOKING VERY, VERY, HUNGOVER. HE IS WEARING UNION JACK BOXER SHORTS, THREADBARE GREY SOCKS WITH A TOE POKING THROUGH AND OVER HIS SOILED WHITE T-SHIRT IS A VERY SNUG FITTING BLACK LACE BRA.

THE LOUNGE IS IN A STATE OF DISARRAY – THE END RESULT OF A WILD PARTY THE NIGHT BEFORE. FOOD, DRINK, CIGARETTE ENDS AND A HOST OF OTHER REMAINDERS LAY ALL AROUND. HE GETS HALF WAY INTO THE ROOM, THEN STOPS AS HE REALISES HE HAS STEPPED IN SOMETHING WHICH MAKES HIS SOCKS WET. HE PULLS A FACE, LIFTS ONE FOOT TO GLANCE AT THE SOLE OF IT AND MOUTHS “OH F….”

MOOSE HEARS THE MUSIC COMING FROM THE KITCHEN AND ALMOST IMMEDIATELY BEGINS, ALBEIT AWKWARDLY, TO MOVE HIS BODY IN TIME WITH THE MUSIC. HE IS NOW AWARE AND OVERCOME BY THE ENTICING SMELL OF FRIED BACON COMING FROM THE KITCHEN.

HE SCRATCHES HIS BOTTOM AND THEN HIS CROTCH. HE YAWNS AGAIN AND RHYTHMICALLY DRIFTS TOWARDS THE KITCHEN.

Gavin I meant to vote for the husband/in law, I've changed the post now.

Baumski, I've passed the buck to Gavin and now I'm running away! No one seemed interested in the presenting ideas idea, so I'm not sure what will happen to your idea? I wish I could read it but someone is playing loud music and I can't concentrate, but I'll check it out later.

Leevil you vote has been changed mate.

OK Baumski. So what next?

Ok coz i think it will be a fabulous idea aswell as completly new, I am going for The Devils Blurb. Not because it was my idea but because as Baumski said it has lots of potential for scope. I have done a few things but that will have nothing to do with it. This would be from scratch. We can input the other ideas around it, ie one episode could be around a guy who runs a limo business, or the son in law thingy. We can all write different stories it wont have to be the same throughout. Thats my vote anyhoo. Whatever happens i will be cool.

Quote: David Chapman @ April 18, 2007, 10:45 PM

OK Baumski. So what next?

What's next, as in the rest of the manuscript? Instead of jumping ahead of everyone else I'd rather wait until the project format has been agreed, set and ready to go, if that's OK.

Baumski I'm sorry mate but your idea came in a bit late. Intially we will be doing the ideas put foward earlier. If you don't mind we can keep the idea for the next project? I have also added you to the writing roster mate you are replacing me as I am taking a more organising role now so your vote would be very much appriciated mate... sorry again about the idea

Voting Closes Tonight at 7.30pm