The Works - seeking sketch writers! Page 14

Hello everyone!

A huge thanks to everyone who submitted sketches for the second Works show; it seems to have been a big success again, and the feedback we've received has been terrific. Congratulations to those whose sketches made it in to the show, it's down to your hard work that the evening went so well. And thanks especially go to those of you who came along to see the show - I hope you had a good night!

But it's all about the third show now...

The next one is going to take place on the 13th of Nov, at Madame JoJo's once again. This will be the last show of 2009; our plan is to do a run of "best of" shows in the new year (more news on this later). So this is your last chance to get your sketches in the show for a little while!

The deadline for first drafts this time round is 23 Oct. We'll be contacting those of you whose sketches have made it on to the long list at the start of the following week. We've got a bit more time before the show this time round, so there will be more opportunity for rewrites and rehearsals. We hope to be able to invite writers along to a rehearsal day this time too.

We're not adding to or changing the writer's brief for the third show, but the same guidelines apply as before - bear in mind the limitations of the stage, and try to keep things short and sweet. If you need any more information feel free to drop us a line.

I think that's everything. A gentle reminder about the deadline:

THE TWENTY-THIRD OF OCTOBER

...and we hope to be hearing from you soon!

Isabel and The Works Team x

Hi Isabel

One question - are you now more open to us including sound effects, whether as background or even key to the scene? The steer last time was to avoid them, but the final show included a lot, including the runner where a voiceover was key to the scene.

Or would you rather we avoided them still and left it up to the Director to add as he sees fit

Thanks

P.S. could you also keep the severed hand prop as I've written a sketch for the next show that needs one...

Forgot about this.

Cheers for the reminder.

I sent in a few pieces for this. I imagine the competition is quite fierce.

To those who have attended the show: does there appear to be any theme running through the show?

Yeah, I'd forgotten about this too. I'd better get scribbling.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ October 16 2009, 3:23 PM BST

Yeah, I'd forgotten about this too. I'd better get scribbling.

Me too. Crap! :(

Quote: Ben @ October 16 2009, 10:58 AM BST

I sent in a few pieces for this. I imagine the competition is quite fierce.

To those who have attended the show: does there appear to be any theme running through the show?

I wouldn't say there's a theme but the sketches certainly leaned toward the absurd/surreal. Think Big Train on stage.

Sent three sketches last night. :) I actually remembered to enter it this time... just about!

Hello everyone,

Many thanks for your submissions, we're now in the process of reading and selecting the sketches - there has been some really fantastic material so far, so thank you so much!

I just wanted to add a note as we've had emails from several people (citing this board as their source) who are concerned that there is no payment involved for the writers. Most have been under the impression that we are making a profit from the show.

I just wanted to reiterate that we make no profit, and that all of our cast, crew, director and producers also work on this project for no payment. Our ticket revenue just covers the hire of Madame Jojo's, hire of microphones, payments for rehearsal spaces, props, costumes, lighting technician and box office staff. This just about breaks us even, though we have had to make some payments from our own pockets.

I just wanted to make this clear so that nobody thinks that we are being under hand in any way. I do hope that those of you who have had your sketches performed feel that the process has been beneficial! We have very much enjoyed it, and feel that it's a useful showcase for the writers, I do hope that you agree.

All the best!

Isabel & The Works Team

Oh Isabel! As if we're in it for the money!

Quote: Ben @ October 23 2009, 10:27 PM BST

Oh Isabel! As if we're in it for the money!

Quite right. No comedy writer could ever be in it for that.

Quote: Griff @ October 23 2009, 10:45 PM BST

Hi Isabel

It's great that you're doing everyone's sketches. Who gives a crap about the money when The Works audience is absolutely rammed with the kind of TV and radio people you need to be getting your work in front of.

Agree 100% with Griff. The opportunity to showcase your work is worth more than getting paid some tiny amount.

Imagine you do get "spotted" and commissioned to write...why, you'll be getting paid tiny amounts in no time! :D

When do you reckon 'the submitters' will hear back?

I think Isabel said the start of this week.