Current radio comedy Page 7

Quote: Tony Cowards @ November 19 2009, 10:42 AM GMT

I listened to Laura Solon's "Talking and Not Talking" last night.

I liked 50% of it, mostly the "Not Talking" bit...

Sorry but being able to do lots of funny voices and accents does not a comedy sketch show make (although apparently it's enough to win a Perrier award). Lots of the sketches just petered out with no discernible punchline, where were the jokes?

I found it incredibly annoying, especially as one of the characters seemed like a complete rip-off of Morwenna Banks's spoilt little girl from "Absolutely", right down to the lispy voice.

I'm in no doubt that Laura Solon is a very talented actress/voice artist but for goodness sake please get someone to write some funny sketches for you.

I enjoyed it, and I think there's more to her than just funny voices. She's very good at nailing odd characters and their mannerisms. Although I do think the monologuey bits are better than the sketch bits.

Quote: chipolata @ November 19 2009, 11:20 AM GMT

I enjoyed it, and I think there's more to her than just funny voices. She's very good at nailing odd characters and their mannerisms. Although I do think the monologuey bits are better than the sketch bits.

I don't mean this to sound antagonistic or critical but can you tell me did any of it actually make you laugh, I mean properly laugh, or was it just that typical Radio 4 wry smile "Oh most amusing" sort of reaction?

I'm genuinely interested as it wasn't my cup of tea at all and I just didn't find it funny or entertaining.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ November 19 2009, 11:52 AM GMT

I don't mean this to sound antagonistic or critical but can you tell me did any of it actually make you laugh, I mean properly laugh

Yes. Off the top of my head the opening monologue about ants got an early laugh from me.

Quote: chipolata @ November 19 2009, 11:55 AM GMT

Yes. Off the top of my head the opening monologue about ants got an early laugh from me.

Aah, you see to me once that monologue started I could see immediately where it was going (the curse of a comedy writer's mind I guess), the Queen, something to do with picnics and straight lines, although to be fair that was one of the better bits IMO.

Quote: Griff @ November 19 2009, 12:08 PM GMT

I think this series of RRR was just four episodes.

Jo Caulfield Won't Shut Up is only four episodes too, as was Milton Jones's last series, is this a new thing moving away from the more normal six episode series? If so it seems a shame as things seem to barely get into their stride before they are off air again.

Four episodes has been pretty standard for a while now. RRR series 1 was only four episodes, as I think was It's That Jo Caulfield Again (might be wrong though). Laurence Howarth's (rather excellent) Safety Catch has been two series x 4 too.

Play & Record's two series were four eps too, for the writers amongst us.

Dan

I suppose from the network's point of view 4 episodes is safer territory, especially if the show doesn't work. And it's weird that we're still so wedded to the six episode ideal.

Quote: Griff @ November 19 2009, 12:12 PM GMT

The four-episode radio series is yet another savage blow to the dream of making a living through comedy writing.

:D

Quote: swerytd @ November 19 2009, 12:20 PM GMT

Four episodes has been pretty standard for a while now. RRR series 1 was only four episodes, as I think was It's That Jo Caulfield Again (might be wrong though). Laurence Howarth's (rather excellent) Safety Catch has been two series x 4 too.

Play & Record's two series were four eps too, for the writers amongst us.

Dan

Hmmm... it may be that I'm living in the past. Can't say I'd really noticed the shorter series lengths until recently.

I found it incredibly annoying, especially as one of the characters seemed like a complete rip-off of Morwenna Banks's spoilt little girl from "Absolutely", right down to the lispy voice.

It is - it's true!

Quote: Ian Wolf @ November 19 2009, 2:39 PM GMT

It is - it's true!

:D

Twue, surely?

;)

especially as one of the characters seemed like a complete rip-off of Morwenna Banks's spoilt little girl from "Absolutely", right down to the lispy voice.

If we're going to go down this route (which we shouldn't, as it's the idiot route), then surely the Morwena Banks spoilt little girl character is itself a rip off of Miranda Richardson's queen in Blackadder II.

Quote: Griff @ November 19 2009, 4:17 PM GMT

Or the spoilt, lisping Violet Elizabeth Bott from Just William in the 70s.

I hope you're listening to this, Tony Cowards and Ian Woolf.

Quote: Griff @ November 19 2009, 4:17 PM GMT

Or the spoilt, lisping Violet Elizabeth Bott from Just William in the 70s.

I think this is closer to the mark than Queenie in Blackadder to be honest.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ November 19 2009, 4:19 PM GMT

I think this is closer to the mark than Queenie in Blackadder to be honest.

Meh. Same family tree.

Another great Bleak Expectations.