Current radio comedy Page 6

Quote: Ian Wolf @ October 30 2009, 2:40 PM GMT

I've finally got round to listening to Bleak Expectations. I can see why so many members of the guide are fond of it.

Likewise, I am regretting not having discovered this sooner.

Quote: chipolata @ November 11 2009, 10:41 AM GMT

I enoyed Jo Caulfield Won't Shut Up! last night. Her stuff is hardly re-inventing the wheel, but there were a lot of good, solid laughs in the show.

Yes, it was not he most original format, but the laugh count was high enough to make it diverting.

Mmm, not sure about the moon comedy last night on Radio 4. Some funny bits, and some not so funny bits. Also, has Rudy's rare Records finished? Shows in the 6:30 slot seem to disappear mid run for no apparent reason.

Has anyone listened to Nick Hornby's new sitcom? It is very funny, though I am slightly dissapointed it wasn't about family life, a subject which Hornby excel's writing about in his novel.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ November 12 2009, 11:05 AM GMT

Has anyone listened to Nick Hornby's new sitcom? It is very funny, though I am slightly dissapointed it wasn't about family life, a subject which Hornby excel's writing about in his novel.

No. What's it called and when's it on?

Another great episode of Bleak Expectations. I loved the swan stuff, and the continuing inventiveness of this show never fails to surprise me.

A lot of "Bleak Expections" annoys me in a non-specific way, just can't quite put my finger on why I don't enjoy it as much as I think I should, but I did roar with laughter at the Mr Gently Benevolent "I shall return" line in this weeks episode, very silly but very funny.

I know this isn't strictly speaking current, but last night there was an interesting episode of The Goon Show broadcast. What was interesting was that there was no live music and no audience.

This thread is quiet... there's clearly not much good on the radio at the moment! Bleak Expectations is the obvious exception to that... I'm loving every second of it!

Quote: Tony Cowards @ October 23 2009, 3:34 PM GMT

Yes I guess you are absolutely right, one man's meat etc.

Specifically though I thought Shappi Khorsandi's (who I think it a good stand-up) "Shappi Talk" was pretty awful

Perhaps the BBC like to give her airtime, because she ticks so many PC boxes in terms of not only being that fairly rare thing, a female stand-up, but that extremely rare thing, a middle-eastern stand-up.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ October 23 2009, 3:34 PM GMT

I'd love there to be more joke driven serials like Milton Jones (but then that's probably because I'm a joke writer and stand-up) in amongst the standard fare.

Also Milton Jones is pretty special in being able to make puns work so well.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ November 12 2009, 11:05 AM GMT

If you're talking about The Richest Man in Britain, the perhaps readers here should be cautious, for the latest episode received very mixed reactions.

Quote: Nogget @ November 17 2009, 7:07 AM GMT

Perhaps the BBC like to give her airtime, because she ticks so many PC boxes in terms of not only being that fairly rare thing, a female stand-up, but that extremely rare thing, a middle-eastern female stand-up.

:)

Quote: Mark @ November 17 2009, 1:38 AM GMT

This thread is quiet... there's clearly not much good on the radio at the moment!

It'd be a bit bloody more lively if we had a thread discussing ALL current radio comedy, like we did in the good old days! Angry

That said, we're in a purple patch at the moment. I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue on Mondays, Jo Caulfield on Tuesdays, Laura Solon Wednesdays and Bleak Expectations on Thursdays. It's the strongest line-up I can remember for a while.

Just catched up on the iPlayer on some shows.

I thought that Jack Dee did a good job of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. Jo Caulfield Won't Shut Up! has its moments but I thought the obituary gag was predictable.

I enjoyed The Ladies last night. Some nice characterisations and laugh out loud moments. Wasn't sure about recording it in front of an audience, though, I kept thinking "Why is their an audience in the ladies toilets?" Huh?

I see All Bar Luke (series 3) is being repeated on Wednesday nights. Recommended from me: it's one of the best radio sitcoms ever, in my opinion. Have a listen on iPlayer if you have chance.

Dan

I listened to Laura Solon's "Talking and Not Talking" last night.

I liked 50% of it, mostly the "Not Talking" bit...

Sorry but being able to do lots of funny voices and accents does not a comedy sketch show make (although apparently it's enough to win a Perrier award). Lots of the sketches just petered out with no discernible punchline, where were the jokes?

I found it incredibly annoying, especially as one of the characters seemed like a complete rip-off of Morwenna Banks's spoilt little girl from "Absolutely", right down to the lispy voice.

I'm in no doubt that Laura Solon is a very talented actress/voice artist but for goodness sake please get someone to write some funny sketches for you.