Best Opening Titles?

I'm currently planning some new feature articles for the website. One thing I've always wanted to do is compile a list of shows with great opening (or closing) title sequences...

Please post your favourites to help me come up with a list! It doesn't matter how good the actual show was, it's only the title sequences I'm interested in.

To get things going, off the top of my head, here's a few titles I like:

- Have I Got News For You
- Drop The Dead Donkey
- The League of Gentlemen
- Little Britain
- Lab Rats
- The High Life
- Harry & Paul (Series 2)
- The IT Crowd

- Red Dwarf

:)

This is a punch up between The IT Crowd and Dad's Army for me. As a designer I recognise the greatness and kneel before Shinola (IT) and Keith (Dad's Army). Actually I made up the Dad's Army one, they were probably put together by the rostrum camera man, but they are excellent.

Haven't seen The High Life.

There's clearly a danger in this thread that people will just list shows that they like rather than ones with notably well designed or artistic titles. In fact it's a pointless thread without some kind of artistic mediation.

- Only Fools And Horses
- Citizen Smith

Sorry, misread the first post. I thought we were talking theme tunes.

My bag..

Brass Eye/The Day Today had great opening sequences and some marvellous graphics throughout.

The Venture Brothers has the best opening sequence I know of, but might be a bit obscure for your needs.

My pick for the dreariest - From May to December. That f**king awful tune...

Quote: David Bussell @ February 6 2009, 4:23 PM GMT

The Venture Brothers has the best opening sequence I know of, but might be a bit obscure for your needs.

Darn tootin'!

I already control the Earth from space Griff as you well know. Now make me a brew.

Quote: Griff @ February 6 2009, 4:25 PM GMT

Meanwhile, The Simpsons title sequence has to be up there, surely?

Good Christ yes.

In that case, Futurama should be in there too.

I take it this is just British otherwise the Simpsons would be my one. I wasn't thinking of just my favourite shows by the way. You might start thinking with them but I get the question being asked...

I loved Spaced when they did the Royle Family spoof titles.

Quote: Griff @ February 6 2009, 4:25 PM GMT

There you go mate. Down in one.

Meanwhile, The Simpsons title sequence has to be up there, surely?

I wanted a beaker of piss, not lemon tea, you prick.

Dad's Army would be my personal favourite. Other good ones I think include Father Ted, Porridge and Absolutely.

If you're looking for closing titles, then Open All Hours, The Vicar of Dibley and QI are all good ones because they always go out with a laugh at the end (even if certain characters can't spot the joke). Also I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue is good too.

Porridge - All those doors locking. Really makes you feel what Prison must be like.

Ronnie Corbett's 'Sorry!' had ace titles