Life Of Riley - Series 1 Page 5

Quote: Aaron @ January 16 2009, 10:19 AM GMT

What is in date, in your opinion?

Though, yes, aimed at different audiences, I would say a family comedy like Outnumbered could be considered more 'now'.

I think Rick Skelton has expressed my opinion on this rubbish in a much more concise and eloquent manner than I ever could.

For the record I think that Outnumbered is realistic and at the same time very funny. Two elements beyond the Life of Riley.

I like it. It's not the best thing on T.V. but some bits made me laugh.

Aww, Home To Roost. With the annoying left-wing son. :)

Quote: Aaron @ January 16 2009, 10:45 AM GMT

Aww, Home To Roost. With the annoying left-wing son. :)

Yea he's in Corrie now playing Gail Platt's boyfriend
Sick

Oh good Lord. Last time I saw him was in a Video Arts production about interview techniques. :/

Quote: Griff @ January 16 2009, 10:33 AM GMT

Life Of Riley felt incredibly dated, like watching something on ITV twenty years ago, maybe Home To Roost or something like that.

I missed this week's episode; from the blurb it was apparently intended as the first in the series, confirming my suspicion that last week's appalling episode was screened first because it was the best they had got.

I caught Home To Roost on ITV3 recently; compared to Life of Riley, it felt fresh, innovative and real. (It is actually not a bad show, unsuprisingly given the writer and cast.)

I liked Home to Roost. That was one of ITV's better ones for sure and would quite happily watch it if I saw it in the listings.

Life of Riley I missed this time but I'm not crying over it. Last week I remember glancing at the wife with a puzzled expression as if to say "Is this really as bad as I think it is?"

Personally I think After You've Gone was OK and of the current batch of family sitcoms that works well enough. It doesn't challenge you, is pretty 'cosy' and is simply a bit of light relief.

Thing is, many of us pine for the days of the show we could all watch together but when the Beeb try and give us that we all hate it. Maybe it's just the situation - perhaps we just need something recognisable enough to relate to but absurd enough to laugh at.

Every family has its eccentricities that could be presented to comic effect but 'Yes, we are all different'. Would it not be better to concentrate more of the action in a place of work or a social setting?

How about a school run as a family business where the grandad is a batty headmaster, the mother is a dinner lady and the children are taught by ex-con Uncle Ronnie.

Hmmm, have I just stumbled on something?

Quote: Tuumble @ January 16 2009, 11:47 AM GMT

Thing is, many of us pine for the days of the show we could all watch together but when the Beeb try and give us that we all hate it.

It may be slightly dated but the reruns of the Good Life on Paramount 2 at the moment show that it is still a bloody good programme.

Quote: Tuumble @ January 16 2009, 11:47 AM GMT

How about a school run as a family business where the grandad is a batty headmaster, the mother is a dinner lady and the children are taught by ex-con Uncle Ronnie.

Hmmm, have I just stumbled on something?

That actually sounds like a reasonably good idea.

There's that Simpsons episode.

Quote: Griff @ January 16 2009, 12:18 PM GMT

Has there ever been a comedy around home schooling, ie not Tuumble's idea of the family run school (which sounds fine and a f**k sight more interesting than Life Of Riley), but this business of keeping your kids home from school to teach them yourself? Maybe not a sitcom but there must be a short play or something in it.

I was thinking about the home schooling idea too. I actually know someone in the states that does this and test scores and been remarkable by all accounts. That family would be great as a subject of a comedy anyway because...

a) They live in Springfield
b) He's an IT support guy who has a goal of being a millionaire
c) He has seven kids
d) He's a regular church-goer
e) He is running a campaign in support of carrying concealed hand guns in city parks

Quote: Tuumble @ January 16 2009, 12:26 PM GMT

d) He's a regular church-goer
e) He is running a campaign in support of carrying concealed hand guns in city parks

f) Is clearly a stranger to irony.

Sorry, we're drifting off topic but I'll make this the last post on the subject.

Here's his article: http://www.news-leader.com/article/20081220/OPINIONS02/812200309

I Sky+ed the first episode of this and found myself wandering out of my room whilst watching it, because I forgot I was watching it, it made such little impression on me! That said, I gave it another chance last night and found it held my attention more. It's a bit predictable, but there were a few things that made me smile and even laugh. I find that the dated feel and production values makes some of the things I find funny, less funny. It frustrates me and entertains me in equal measures but I'll definitely stick with it.

Second episode was better than first IMO.