Life Of Riley - Series 1 Page 3

Just watched this on iPlayer.

I won't bother next week.

On the plus side - it gives all us writers a hope.

Quote: bigfella @ January 9 2009, 3:36 PM GMT

On the plus side - it gives all us writers a hope.

Do you not see that it doesn't? Surely this should be an indicator that this is the type of programmes channels want to commission?

Quote: Aaron @ January 9 2009, 4:26 PM GMT

Do you not see that it doesn't? Surely this should be an indicator that this is the type of programmes channels want to commission?

Well, the kind of early evening sitcom BBC One want to commission at least.

The IT Crowd is hardly a million miles off.

Quote: Aaron @ January 9 2009, 4:31 PM GMT

The IT Crowd is hardly a million miles off.

Well I didn't watch this show, so I can't really compare, but I honestly doubt that.

If BBC1 were willing to broadcast IT Crowd style shows at eight, or any other time, then that would be great!

I was referring to the kind of show in general, not Life Of Reily specifically. But yes. I'm pretty sure you'd hate this.

Coming after Outnumbered this seems positively prehistoric.

A mistake in any case, I would say, using kids in a studio sitcom, it takes craft to bounce of an audience without hamming, which these kids all did. It was notable in School of Comedy that the kids were much better in the filmed segments than the live audience sections.

The plot was a bit obvious but could have worked, but what really let it down were the painfully telegraphed gags. e.g. It's like being Poirot, but without the moustache", "Oh, I don't know...".

And who after watching Roman's Empire decided Neil Dudgeon had a talent for comedy?

As for that awful music at the end of each scene - why did they not just get someone with a drumkit to go boom tish.

Quote: Aaron @ January 9 2009, 4:26 PM GMT

But my writing is so unfunny, it gives me great hope.

Quote: Timbo @ January 9 2009, 7:43 PM GMT

Coming after Outnumbered this seems positively prehistoric.

A mistake in any case, I would say, using kids in a studio sitcom, it takes craft to bounce of an audience without hamming, which these kids all did. It was notable in School of Comedy that the kids were much better in the filmed segments than the live audience sections.

The plot was a bit obvious but could have worked, but what really let it down were the painfully telegraphed gags. e.g. It's like being Poirot, but without the moustache", "Oh, I don't know...".

And who after watching Roman's Empire decided Neil Dudgeon had a talent for comedy?

As for that awful music at the end of each scene - why did they not just get someone with a drumkit to go boom tish.

I found it middling at best, and too reminiscent of any number of early evening sitcoms from the past twenty-odd years.
Also, what the hell as happened to Caroline Quentin? She's much better at playing women with attitude, but her character in this is lame and ineffectual.

Quote: Timbo @ January 9 2009, 7:43 PM GMT

what really let it down were the painfully telegraphed gags. e.g. It's like being Poirot, but without the moustache", "Oh, I don't know...".

Well I didn't see it coming, and it made me laugh out loud. :)

Quote: Aaron @ January 9 2009, 9:13 PM GMT

Well I didn't see it coming, and it made me laugh out loud. :)

I agree with Aaron here.

However, it was the about the only bit I laughed at.

Critics have slammed it.

Hopefully it'll be dragged off the air as soon as possible.

Quote: Seefacts @ January 8 2009, 8:18 PM GMT

The Beeb cancelled After You've Gone and THIS gets made instead.

True

Crap.