Life Of Riley - Series 1 Page 8

Please stop it. It's a disgrace to comedy.

Really enjoyed tonight's episode. A slow start, but I was laughing out loud almost constantly through the last few scenes. Very nicely done.

Sorry Aaron, it was absolutely abysmal. The little kid fainting was funny, granted, but the rest is so utterly appalling. It's terribly predictable, the characters are horrid and stupid and the acting is pathetic by any standards. Good riddance!

I enjoyed this episode too. :)

I'm caught between the two camps here.

It was by FAR the best episode of the series - with quite a few lol moments. But there were still big periods of crap.

It also has come to light that my beloved daughter actually knows the teenage boy in this. If it does get a second series and the actor has changed then you'll know he tried something on and I had to get my shotgun out.

He makes my skin crawl. Awful, utterly intolerable character!

He and the daughter aren't great.

Quote: Aaron @ February 12 2009, 10:17 PM GMT

He makes my skin crawl. Awful, utterly intolerable character!

Is that me or the teenager in the show? Huh?

Ha! The teenage son.

Hi ,

I am sorry to say that this show is just rated for me as "Good" and just got mildly better on the last episode. I am betting that the BBC won't commission another series unless they can improve on the writing behind it. I wonder if any one has the ratings for the episodes. My score for all the episodes didn't really go above 3 out of 10.

Not wishing to be disrespectful, but this terrible show does not really warrant debate.
Trite, predictable, adolescent writing, no humanity, not one interesting character or original idea in the whole show.
I'm due a meeting with the head of BBC Comedy, so this post may scupper that, but would REALLY LOVE to see a popular and funny pre-watershed BBC One sitcom.
Without being arrogant I could bash out an episode of this in under a day. It's easy when effectively you write rote comedy and it doesn't matter which character says the line.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 13 2009, 1:29 AM GMT

I would REALLY LOVE to see a popular and funny pre-watershed BBC One sitcom.

You'd have to define "popular and funny" though. Many shows which get almost blanket criticism around here would be considered to be 'popular' by most gauges. And 'funny' is entirely down to personal perception. So whilst the former is quantifiable, the latter certainly isn't.

Aaron I mean what I say. A show which gets solid ratings, has characters that engage a family audience and achieves this miracle whilst appealing to "proper" comedy fans.
My main point I suppose is that years ago the BBC admitted it didn't have a clue what sitcom would be a hit, but they provided the slots for light entertaiment to try out, then if a hit happened all the better.
Too much now for BBC 1 feels like the camel - ie, a horse designed by committee.

I think the sitcom is good and one of the few I belly-laugh at.
I thought the scenes with Anthony last night were very funny.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 13 2009, 2:15 AM GMT

Aaron I mean what I say.

I know you do, Tim, and so do I!

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 13 2009, 2:15 AM GMT

A show which appeals to "proper" comedy fans.

However, this is just the kind of vile snobbery which diminshes the value of opinions expressed on places like this. To suggest that the public aren't "'proper' comedy fans" is absolute rubbish. If anything, it is us who aren't. We're the minority who obsess over it and are constantly, unendingly judgemental and critical over every tiny aspect, largely having lost the ability to just sit and watch and let oneself laugh. If we're not laughing but the rest of the country is, then it's not them who have the problem.