CHRISTMAS! Page 34

It really won't.

My mum got a Kindle this Christmas, and although it's perfectly nice and all, I have not an inkling of desire for one. I bought three real books yesterday and as ever got a thrill just from being in a bookshop and holding books in my hand.
I reeeeeally don't see that changing in favour of a boring black souless square of plastic.

Quote: zooo @ December 30 2011, 1:01 PM GMT

It really won't.

My mum got a Kindle this Christmas, and although it's perfectly nice and all, I have not an inkling of desire for one. I bought three real books yesterday and as ever got a thrill just from being in a bookshop and holding books in my hand.
I reeeeeally don't see that changing in favour of a boring black souless square of plastic.

Yup. And as I'm consistently aware of being poor, it's reassuring to know I could make a small hut to sleep in should I not be able to pay the rent. Lovely, lovely books Hug

For God sakes girl

Get into the 90's

No. Shan't. You can't make me. Ner.

Quote: zooo @ December 30 2011, 1:01 PM GMT

It really won't.

It's inevitable! The day will come when paper will be illegal. Pleased

Does it not excite you, as an author, that your material could reach millions more than it ever could before thanks to the internet/e-reader and other developing technologies?

I had a dream that paper books and e-books could co-exist together.

homo

sapien?

Quote: Leevil @ December 30 2011, 1:10 PM GMT

It's inevitable! The day will come when paper will be illegal. Pleased

Does it not excite you, as an author, that your material could reach millions more than it ever could before thanks to the internet/e-reader and other developing technologies?

I had a dream that paper books and e-books could co-exist together.

Lol, I agree they should co-exist. I don't want e-readers to go away, I just want people to stop scaremongering that books are going to be extinct within 5 years. It's just silly.

Books won't be extinct. Charity shops will just get bigger. Pleased

What is everyone doing for New Years Eve?

I have been invited to a partay, and it should be a good one, but I really hate the enforced jollity of NYE, and I hate that you can't leave before midnight, and really I'd rather be in my trackies with a bottle of baileys scribbling inanities on BCG and watching far away fireworks from the window. Should I stop being a grumpy old woman or should I embrace the evening-in option that I'm clearly veering towards anyway?

I've never cared for NYE or parties. Plus I'm working tomorrow night and won't have the energy to do anything expect probably watch Jools.

I will be at home drinking cider, watching The Graham Norton Show and hanging about on here. I really want to go out but everyone is away on holidays. I could go and watch some fireworks but not sure I want to deal with crowds of screaming kids.

I went to a friends place last year and ended up back before midnight. I wasn't impressed.

:) I am out at local pub with friends, We listen to Big Ben then sing 'Old Lang Syne' then out to watch fireworks, a lot piss off then, but we have a last toast before we go.
Happy New Year All !

I hate parties! And going out!
Happy New Year!

Quote: AJGO @ December 30 2011, 1:23 PM GMT

What is everyone doing for New Years Eve?

Saturday evening about 30 neighbors and I are going out to a nice restaurant for dinner and drinks and then we're heading back home for more drinks and a big bonfire in the woods behind our houses. We built a nice fire pit for our traditional burning of the Christmas trees. Then there will be fireworks on the street at midnight.

Sunday evening another neighbor is having his annual wine and wild game party. Dozens of bottles of wine, fine cigars and tables heaped with pheasant, dove, quail, elk, caribou, hog and venison in many different forms.