I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,050

There are reports today that, prior to his marriage to Meghan Markle, Prince Harry was advised by Prince Philip that, although actresses were useful in many ways to the gentlemen of the British royal family, they were never to be taken seriously when it came to any form of permanent relationship.

Harry, of course, ignored his grandfather's advice and went ahead with a marriage that shocked all right-thinking people.

I mean, it would be bad enough if Meghan were simply an actress but it's worse than that - far worse.

She's . . . (I can hardly bring myself to say the word) . . . American!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 17th June 2019, 9:49 AM

The 60th murder victim of the year in London has just been announced.

Knife-murders are at an all-time high in Britain and yet stop-and-search procedures have plummeted over the last 10 years because lefty liberals feel it's not appropriate to search people just because a copper has a feeling the search might produce something of interest.

The police are hamstrung by left-wing politicians and, even when they do manage to arrest somebody carrying a knife, judges are putting these people right back out onto the streets.

Perhaps we need a dictator to take over this country and sort it out - good and proper?

I mean, civil liberties are a wonderful thing but they won't be much use when we're all lying dead in the gutter, will they?

It's a dreadful situation from a moral perspective but, looked at from a purely practical standpoint, it seems that a large proportion of knife and gun murders in our cities are gang-related and so it might be thought a good idea for the police and the law-abiding public to sit back and let these people dispose of themselves without interference.

Makes sense when you think about it.

Not really. A dictator wouldn't solve the knife crime problem, they'd just tell you they had and put you in prison if you disagreed.

I thought this was gonna solve your knife problem?

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/police-handing-out-blunt-knives-2964343

Quote: DaButt @ 18th June 2019, 10:00 PM

I thought this was gonna solve your knife problem?

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/police-handing-out-blunt-knives-2964343

Kitchen knives with rounded-off points?

The idea is being dismissed as ridiculous by a great many people but I have to say I rather like it.

When one person intentionally injures another with a knife, it's a very much more common for the attack to be a stab with the point of the knife rather than a slicing motion with the edge of the blade.

Given that the initiative is intended to reduce knife attacks in domestic situations that tend to involve relatively ordinary people rather than bloodthirsty psychopaths, I think the absence of a pointed knife is quite likely to mean that no knife will be used.

Yes, the idea gets a thumbs up from me!

Do you think issuing paint ball guns to all American adults would do the same ? "Officer, the thief has yellow dots on his back."

Quote: Firkin @ 19th June 2019, 8:57 AM

Do you think issuing paint ball guns to all American adults would do the same ? "Officer, the thief has yellow dots on his back."

Reading the newspaper, I came across an article on amusing text messages.

The following exchange really amused me.

"Stop changing the Google logo on the computer. I like the normal one."

"Mom, it's not me doing that. Google changes it."

"You don't run the Google?"

"If I did, do you think I'd be driving a 2002 Ford?"

They're stopping Google soon, so that'll be you f**ked.

I'm sure we're all equally shocked about the unfortunate lady of 83 who was struck by a police motorcycle as it smoothed the way for Kate and William on one of their many important journeys.

The old lady is currently in intensive care having suffered a broken pelvis, two broken arms and a broken leg as well as a serious injury to her head.

It seems the motorbike was on the "wrong" side of the road but police claim that it was not travelling fast.

I think it's a pretty good bet that the old lady wasn't travelling fast either - so how on earth did the motorcyclist fail to see her in the road?

:(

I don't think the old "I was on the wrong side of the road but not going very fast" excuse would work for the rest of us.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 18th June 2019, 11:06 PM

I think the absence of a pointed knife is quite likely to mean that no knife will be used

... so the enraged partner will grab the nearest ice pick, screwdriver, or frying pan to complete their assault.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 19th June 2019, 3:21 PM

"Google?"

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 19th June 2019, 5:08 PM

They're stopping Google soon, so that'll be you f**ked.

Laughing out loud You're wasting your time Stephen - it goes in one ear and out the other..................you see, there's no brain there.

Quote: DaButt @ 19th June 2019, 11:47 PM

... so the enraged partner will grab the nearest ice pick, screwdriver, or frying pan to complete their assault.

I don't think so.

Most domestic stabbings take place in the kitchen and are usually carried out in the heat of the moment: it's rare for a person to take a knife from the kitchen and stab his/her partner in another room of the house.

It would be unusual (in Britain at any rate) to find an ice pick in the kitchen and a great many kitchens do not contain a screwdriver. Even where there is a screwdriver in a kitchen, it's unlikely to be chosen as a murder weapon because very few people, in a blaze of anger, would think to attack with a screwdriver because, as weapons go, it's unlikely to cause death or serious injury during a brief angry assault and it's relatively easy to defend oneself against a screwdriver attack.

That leaves us with frying pan which, again, is not a weapon which readily lends itself to murder or serious injury - especially if the intended victim sees you coming. Apart from anything else, unless one's victim can be dispatched with a single blow, the fracas quickly begins to resemble a scene from Tom and Jerry.

I'm not saying that blunting the points of kitchen knives will render domestic violence a thing of the past but I am saying I believe it will reduce quite significantly the number of injuries sustained in domestic assaults.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 7th June 2019, 10:36 AM

I couldn't wear a "this is what a feminist looks like" t-shirt because I couldn't wear a "this is what a menininst looks like" t-shirt.

Late follow-up but this reminded me of a girl I used to know. She was (probably is) very attractive - not vulgar, but inevitably attracted a lot of attention. She said, When a white guy offers me a drink and I say no, he f**ks off or stays on the level of friendly. Say no to a black guy and it's, 'Got a problem with black people. eh? Is that it? Problem with blacks, eh? Racist, eh? Is that it?' Missing the point.
Everywhere I go, I turn heads. The other way.

A 17 year old has been suspended for three weeks from his Aberdeenshire school for expressing his view to a teacher that, scientifically, there are only two genders and that anything else is personal identification.

The school justified the suspension by saying that such a view was not inclusive and "this is an inclusive school"; Aberdeenshire Council confirmed that "as part of our Public Sector Equality Duty we aim to eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation".

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/teen-17-who-sparked-row-for-saying-there-are-only-two-genders-suspended-from-school-for-three-weeks/ar-AADiBHi?ocid=spartanntp