The Show What You Wrote Page 19

Quote: Judgement Dave @ April 23 2013, 5:35 PM BST

I'd guess that this show will have had thousands of equally unsuitable sketches - so any broadcast able sketches are probably already at least 0.8% chance :P

I'd guess that, after the rubbish sketches have been binned, the chances of getting on will be around the 6% mark.

It looks like there are four recording dates and four broadcast dates. My money's on that meaning there are four shows.

Quote: Badge @ April 23 2013, 6:41 PM BST

It looks like there are four recording dates and four broadcast dates. My money's on that meaning there are four shows.

Where are the broadcast dates given? I've only seen the statement that the first show would broadcast the week of June 3rd (iirc).

And regarding 4 recording dates - I'd say that that's no real indication. Alun Cochrane's Fun House has the 4th and final show tonight and was recorded over 3 nights. And when I went to the recording of Everyone Quite Likes Justin (in the same venue as TSWYW funnily enough) the did two shows per session.

And wouldn't the list of 5 'themes for each episode' suggest that there are 5 shows?

Quote: Jinky @ April 23 2013, 6:02 PM BST

I'd guess that, after the rubbish sketches have been binned, the chances of getting on will be around the 6% mark.

But damn if it is 4 episodes that shoves us back to c.(5.2436+2^e/πi)% per sketch.

If there are 4 broadcast dates, there will be 4 shows. The other stat that would be interesting to know is how many rewrites were requested vs the c.60 sketch slots...although I can see why they wouldn't do that (you would have to overrequest as some just won't be made to work)

15,000 sketches! I genuinely can't imagine how the script eds have stayed sane. And thath's if they were all good - imagine reading more than 10,000 sketches that aren't suitable for your show! Getting a sketch straight in with no edits would be quite some achievement with those odds.

I wouldn't read too much ambiguity into that payment statement. I can't see they'll pay for stuff that's recorded not cut as I've not heard of a BBC show that has done that.

Quote: The Producer @ April 23 2013, 7:04 PM BST

If there are 4 broadcast dates, there will be 4 shows.

But have you seen 4 broadcast dates anywhere? I've not seen broadcast dates given so don't know if there's 4 or 5. However they have given 4 recording dates.

Quote: The Producer @ April 23 2013, 7:04 PM BST

I wouldn't read too much ambiguity into that payment statement. I can't see they'll pay for stuff that's recorded not cut as I've not heard of a BBC show that has done that.

No the ambiguity is will they email people who were recorded but cut just to say 'you were recorded but cut' - not for payment details. I know they're only paying for broadcast material, but NJ certainly let's the 'nearly made it's know.

I can confirm there are only 4 shows being broadcast. I could go on about broadcast dates and the suchlike but the script editor told me and that's good enough for me!

I guess they're be a slight rearranging of the categories to reflect that.

Quote: Judgement Dave @ April 23 2013, 6:56 PM BST

Where are the broadcast dates given? I've only seen the statement that the first show would broadcast the week of June 3rd (iirc).

Here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r1s2h/episodes/guide

And wouldn't the list of 5 'themes for each episode' suggest that there are 5 shows?

You and I might think that but we aren't the BBC...

But damn if it is 4 episodes that shoves us back to c.(5.2436+2^e/πi)% per sketch.

Spot on.

I also heard they were doing 4 shows, but haven't decided which themes will be used. Suppose it depends on which ones have the better quality scripts.

Just shows how many more people are writing sketches these days - I'm sure they never got anything like those numbers for Recorded For Training Purposes or Tilt.

Quote: Frantically @ April 23 2013, 7:34 PM BST

I also heard they were doing 4 shows, but haven't decided which themes will be used. Suppose it depends on which ones have the better quality scripts.

Just shows how many more people are writing sketches these days - I'm sure they never got anything like those numbers for Recorded For Training Purposes or Tilt.

Though for those shows they limited non-comms to 2 or 3 sketches per series didn't they? At least, not the 50 they invited for this.

But people have had rewrite requests from across five themes right?

Quote: Badge @ April 23 2013, 7:33 PM BST

Here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r1s2h/episodes/guide

Cheers for the link! I honestly hadn't seen that. They've also pushed the first broadcast date back 3 or 4 weeks.

Quote: Badge @ April 23 2013, 7:36 PM BST

Though for those shows they limited non-comms to 2 or 3 sketches per series didn't they? At least, not the 50 they invited for this.

True, though in that update I thought they mention thousands of entrants? Might have been an exageration, but 15000 sketches probably would indicate around 1000 submitters.

Some will be newcomers giving it a half-hearted shot writing their first ever crappy sketches, get rejected and give up immediately. But some might show promise...and even worse stick at it and go on to become really good! Bastards!

Quote: Pete Turton @ April 23 2013, 7:40 PM BST

But people have had rewrite requests from across five themes right?

I've not seen any mention of documentary rewrites on here.

Quote: StephenM @ April 23 2013, 7:16 PM BST

I guess they're be a slight rearranging of the categories to reflect that.

Can't wait for the kitchen sink horror episode.

Bollocks then, the documentary ones were some of my better efforts....