The Show What You Wrote Page 23

I think they've been great. Set themes, published example scripts (including one that was annotated), asked writers for rewrites instead of rewriting themselves or throwing strong ideas away, said online when they would contact us and have followed that so far. What more can you expect from a show that gets 15000 sketches?

Given the volume of material (and that they will have to do some editing to 'successful' rewrites), I'd be very surprised if they had worked out all the shows already. I doubt that always happens for shows with 'only' a couple of hundred sketches to choose from. Backing that up, I've had a "no" for a rewrite for one episode but have yet to hear on another.

Unless you were in the rewrite pile I doubt you will hear anything until the edit is made.

Quote: Badge @ May 16 2013, 1:50 PM BST

Unless you were in the rewrite pile I doubt you will hear anything until the edit is made.

Definitely - that's what they've said on their web page

I totally agree with The Producer. Maybe they are victims of their own success, but where else do you find calls for subscriptions for a national broadcast with help on what to write? Also, I've emailed a couple of questions which they've been more than happy to answer straight away.
So you may not hear anything back but you've worked on something and hopefully improved as a writer.
If you are going to get upset about not receiving 'thank you but no' emails then don't ever bother sending anything to independent companies. You will be suicidal after a while.
Let's be thankful for this. Someone is going to get a break. I'd be careful complaining about how they handle your gem of a sketch. They might not bother to ask again.

Fear is an abode of the average and a target for the mundane.
If you're scared of the regime you only end up as one of its compliant clients.

All I have said is that it would be a f**king doddle to say 'We have what we need' that's all then the writers can then look elsewhere.

I know I am blotting my copy book by being bolshy but that's who I am, I firmly believe that writers get a rawer deal than is really necessary.

In this instant all I am asking for is a cut off date I'm not advocating or organising a full frontal assault on media city.

I actually got a reply on one question and I can imagine that 15000 scripts is a handful, but I still raise questions and I still think that a general thanks but no thanks would really help me as a writer.

I know they probably read shit like this and put my stuff in the bin if it isn't already in it, but for f**ks sake you have to be able to raise questions, we're not f**king amoebas, we're writers!

Maybe they'll say they have what they need when they, er, have what they need?

:P

Yeah, a cut off date would be nice. I just think they weren't expecting quite so much.

I'm scared of nobody but my mum, my wife and a checkout bloke in Budgen's near me.

Mike

I just got an email to say the two I rewrote were in the script for the first recording (Sci fi and horror )- seems to be only four shows list now unless I'm missing something.

They said there's still a final edit so they may not make the cut, but a total of 28 sketches are going into the first episode.

Haven't heard a peep about submissions for the other shows, so guessing they haven't made it (or made it without the need for rewrites. But probably the first one)

The logical part of me thinks they would probably email everyone who has a sketch in the script before each episode? That's what Newsjack used to do.

Scratch that.

Lets face it, newsjack don't tell you until the day after performance!

Up till series 5 or so Newsjack told you the day of the recording if you got something in. then you got a second email on the morning of the broadcast.

It's a new show though so they may not have a clear policy yet. It's not over till the lady with glandular issues sings as they say.

I've not yet seen anything saying that this statement needs scratching.

We already knew some people had been told that their rewrites weren't being used, we now know (from Monkeywithtypewriter) that at least some writers are being told if their rewrites are being used.

We still do not know whether or not any sketches made it through to this stage without a rewrite (from the original writer) - in which case they may not have heard anything and may be assuming that they probably failed.

(Does anyone know of someone being told that their sketch is being used when it wasn't rewritten?)

BTW I'd be surprised if all sketches needed rewrites judging by how few forumites seemed to state that they'd been asked for rewrites.

Sorry, should've been clearer. I got an email earlier saying I have a sketch in the script, but I didn't get asked for any rewrites. So, it looks like they are emailing everyone who has a sketch in the first show recording.

If anyone is going on Sunday please laugh in the right place. Ta.

Quote: Badge @ May 16 2013, 5:16 PM BST

Sorry, should've been clearer. I got an email earlier saying I have a sketch in the script, but I didn't get asked for any rewrites. So, it looks like they are emailing everyone who has a sketch in the first show recording.

If anyone is going on Sunday please laugh in the right place. Ta.

oh. :(

errr - I mean great job Badge! :D

Well done Badge!

Kudos Badger