The Show What You Wrote Page 14

I haven't given up Ste, but I have less hope than I had prior to learning that writers have already been emailed.

I don't know if you ever seen one of my sketches?
The chances of one of them getting on without at least a rewrite is the same as the head of the Taliban getting on an El Al flight carrying a pink handbag full of hand grenades and eating a pork pie!

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ April 10 2013, 2:23 PM BST

I found that information devastating, but I won't shoot the messenger!

Reasons not to get downhearted:
- I don't know anyone else who's got something yet (and I know quite a few writers with previous BBC credits) so likely there are more rewrites on the way. I sent in a lot of stuff and have only got one request on one sketch, from the first batch I sent in. Admittedly that last bit may be highly wishful thinking about the quality of my stuff...
- Getting stuff straight in is your top aim, so no news could be the best news

I hope you don't take me too serious, of course I would have loved an email from the blighters.
However in reality I didn't have a cat in hell's chance from the get go, so I'm being more flippant than upset, its a defence mechanism, it's either that or take the gun toting route.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ April 10 2013, 3:18 PM BST

I haven't given up Ste, but I have less hope than I had prior to learning that writers have already been emailed.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. They are probably going in order of submissions received, and rather than going through every single sketch received before replying to anyone, I reckon they are just starting to contact the ones they think have merit as they wade through the mountain of material. I may be wrong.

I don't know when you sent your stuff, but The Producer mentioned he sent his stuff weeks before the deadline, and I'm sure everyone and their aunt would be posting on here if they heard back already.

I also received some notes today for a sketch I sent in for the sci-fi episode. But this was one of several I sent about a month before the deadline, so no need to give up hope...

Quote: The Producer @ April 10 2013, 12:54 PM BST

I got feedback/a rewrite request today on one sketch. It's from the first batch I sent in several weeks before deadline, so I wouldn't get worried if you haven't heard yet. And of course the best email is finding out post-recording that your sketch went straight into the show without even needing a rewrite!

Well done.

Can I ask - which show/topic was it for?.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ April 10 2013, 3:18 PM BST

I don't know if you ever seen one of my sketches?
The chances of one of them getting on without at least a rewrite is the same as the head of the Taliban getting on an El Al flight carrying a pink handbag full of hand grenades and eating a pork pie!

So not impossible.

Quote: crake @ April 10 2013, 5:45 PM BST

I also received some notes today for a sketch I sent in for the sci-fi episode. But this was one of several I sent about a month before the deadline, so no need to give up hope...

Well done!

And I'm hoping that between you & the producer it's starting to look like they're reading them in the order received - so given I mailed all mine mere hours to minutes before the deadline I can keep some glimmer of hope for at least another two to three weeks.

I got a reply asking to rewrite a horror sketch. Notes given were helpful, like everyone im hoping to get more rewrites whilst simultaneously hoping my others were too amazing to need rewrites. Sent all mine in a big go the night before deadline so I guess theyre doing it episode by episode rather than chronological order of receipt.

I got a rewrite request for a sci fi sketch today as well, and only submitted the day before the deadline so I'd agree it's a very good bet they are going by episode. I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark that horror and sci fi got the most submissions by a fairly large margin so they are getting that out the way first.

Mine was for the sci-fi/horror episode as well

"Dear Ric B

Thank you for sending your material in. We normally don't reply to our submitters with personal feedback, but we had to make an exception as we were totally blown away with the quality of your work and your creative genius. As we don't feel the need to have any of it reworked (which in itself is unusual as everyone has their own opinions), we would like to send you a golden handcuff contract. You'll be sitting on a beach in the Seychelles sipping martinis and pina-coladas in no time. Best regards, BBC Radio 4" - is what I hope will be hitting my inbox tomorrow. Whistling nnocently

Well done to everyone who has heard something, and I'm sure there's many more to come.

Quote: Ric B @ April 10 2013, 8:27 PM BST

"Dear Ric B

Thank you for sending your material in. We normally don't reply to our submitters with personal feedback, but we had to make an exception as we were totally blown away with the quality of your work and your creative genius. As we don't feel the need to have any of it reworked (which in itself is unusual as everyone has their own opinions), we would like to send you a golden handcuff contract. You'll be sitting on a beach in the Seychelles sipping martinis and pina-coladas in no time. Best regards, BBC Radio 4" - is what I hope will be hitting my inbox tomorrow. Whistling nnocently

Well done to everyone who has heard something, and I'm sure there's many more to come.

Did you think you were a creative genius, Ric?

Ah well, my horror one was my best one, if they've read them all in that episode already, I'm screwed.

More positively, well done to those who've got feedback and rewrites!

Quote: Tim Azure @ April 10 2013, 8:56 PM BST

Did you think you were a creative genius, Ric?

Hehe, no not really. I was trying to remain positive and optimistic as opposed to being realistic with the far more likely response being: "Dear Ric, your stuff is absolute sh1te, please don't contact us again".

Huh?

Quote: Ric B @ April 11 2013, 7:53 AM BST

Hehe, no not really. I was trying to remain positive and optimistic as opposed to being realistic with the far more likely response being: "Dear Ric, your stuff is absolute sh1te, please don't contact us again".

Huh?

Know the feeling.

Can't find your work in critique or showcase, though.

I always have a niggling fear that they didnt actually receive the sketches or that the format wasnt 100% correct. Not getting through on a technicality would be so much worse than just not being picked (although that would be bad enough in its own right).