The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 8

Quote: catskillz @ March 20 2012, 3:49 AM GMT

You're the first person I've heard mention the original 'Help' series, since I first saw it as a little kid. I was beginning to think it was a figment of my imagination.

Me too! Let's get married.

I'll take that as a 'no' then.

Most underrated has to be Pulling, the Beeb bottled and rufused to make a second series. :(

Nighty Night, brilliantly done....

Jam

It was the third series they refused to make, but yeah, good show!

You're right of course......I must engage the grey matter before posting !

By the look of the postings on 'Top 50 Sitcoms', 'Top Ten Sitcoms', 'Top Five Sitcoms' etc., it has to be Sykes.

15 Storeys High by far. One of the best sitcoms of the last decade - so of course the BBC f**ked around with it putting it in dead-end graveyard slots. Hysterically funny and superbly written.
There really should be some sort of law against good comedy being this overlooked....Angry

Quote: chipolata @ January 12 2012, 11:21 AM GMT

The first half of your statement pretty much explains the second half. Saxondale was okay, but it looks curiously dated now, and part of the post-Officerush for dour and downbeat laughter-free sitcoms.

I'd like to think that some day, Saxondale Series 3 would appear on our screens. If they brought the flavour of the cast up to date a little bit .. I always thought it had more walking boots to produce (or do I mean stomping boots? lol)

All the best,
Cal :)

Sorry for filling up the threads but I'm new and it'll settle down when I've read and responded to the ones I like.

Anyone said Tripper's Day yet?

Despite it taking a 'right panning' When Leonard Rossiter played Tripper me and my dad used to laugh and laugh. Then Brucie came in as Slinger and it really went down the bog.

Brucie might not be able to tap dance, or play the piano very well but there's one thing for sure - he's no actor.

If we watched it now we'd probably understand why Rossister chose to croak during the run.

I always held Chelmsford 1-2-3 in high regard until I watched it again a couple of years ago.

Bloody Nora - what were we thinking?

You know this is the underrated comedies thread, right? Not the one of rightly-forgotten-and-criticised-shite?

Early Doors

I'd even put it above The Royle Family. Subtle, and slow-burning, but utterly excellent.

Tygo Road.

"That's really fascist..."

Absolutely hate The League Of Gentlemen. I think it's awful and underrated but that's my opinion though. Angry

Quote: george roper @ March 21 2013, 9:53 PM GMT

I think it's awful and underrated but that's my opinion though. Angry

Eh? Eh?

Quote: shaggy292 @ March 22 2013, 11:05 AM GMT

Eh? Eh?

The League Of Gentlemen sitcom