The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 4

Nathan Barley.

I don't know if I can think of ONE THAT IS THE MOST, but here are some that I think are underated (although they may or may not have been more highly rated at the time (as I know Ever Decreasing Circles was pretty big in its day) :

- Ever Decreasing Circles (possibly THE MOST underated today considering how good it is)
- The Brittas Empire
- Don't Wait Up (still waiting for Series 3 - on DVD)
- Sink or Swim [with Peter Davison] (hoping will be released on DVD sometime)
- Executive Stress
- The Two of Us (only seen one series, but would like to see the rest on DVD)
- Don't Drink the Water (seems to get a bad rap from many - but I think it is very good and pretty funny for its sub-genre)

Quote: Shandonbelle @ September 21 2011, 10:50 AM GMT

One I hardly ever hear mentioned is Just Good Friends, with Paul Nicholas and Jan Francis, quite a good show from what I remember.

I like Sullivan's shows but when I had a look at this on DVD a few years ago I only watched a couple of episodes and didn't think much of it. However, maybe it was the mood I was in. I might have to give it another go.

Another few underated shows that come to mind are:

- Solo (very melancholy I know - but I personally really like it)
- Kiss Me Kate
- My Good Friend.

I remember absolutely loving Kiss Me Kate, but felt Solo a bit messy and confused.

Not sure if it counts as comedy but 'Absolute Power'. Almost certainly the last show to bring the best out of Stephen Fry.

Quote: aquasplash3 @ September 23 2011, 5:25 PM GMT

For me it has to be Surgical Spirit.

Agree with this. A great show. Duncan Preston was awesome.

Edited by Aaron - capitalisation.

Quote: jobby @ November 18 2011, 5:01 PM GMT

Not sure if it counts as comedy but 'Absolute Power'. Almost certainly the last show to bring the best out of Stephen Fry.

Well it was hardly documentary, was it?

Bloody fabulous show. Totally agree, by far the best thing he's done in a long time.

'Brass' - by Stevenson and Roach - a very clever show, though bizarrely described as a soap-cum-drama on the BCG page. (Think they were confused by the pastiche elements of 20th century fiction)

Brilliantly, subtly written and played it's the sort of show you feel would have benefitted from being made by the BBC rather than Yorkshire, both in terms of exposure and finesse of production.

It's a lot better than most of the shows mentioned in this thread - many of which are highly regarded anyway which defeats the object.

Becker is not as well known this side of the pond as it deserves.

It Takes A Worried Man is one I would love to see again.

Oh, and yes Brass was a hoot.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 19 2011, 5:09 PM GMT

'Brass' - by Stevenson and Roach - a very clever show, though bizarrely described as a soap-cum-drama on the BCG page. (Think they were confused by the pastiche elements of 20th century fiction)

Brilliantly, subtly written and played it's the sort of show you feel would have benefitted from being made by the BBC rather than Yorkshire, both in terms of exposure and finesse of production.

I expect the finesse would have been the same on the BBC. Period dramas have come a long way since the 1980s.

Quote: Aaron @ November 19 2011, 4:44 PM GMT

Well it was hardly documentary, was it?

Bloody fabulous show. Totally agree, by far the best thing he's done in a long time.

Now I think about it, 'satire' is a better word. Which should, when properly executed, portray its targets so accurately that it is possible for the uninitiated to learn whilst watching, I feel.

Quote: Timbo @ November 19 2011, 11:53 PM GMT

It Takes A Worried Man is one I would love to see again.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/22561729/It-Takes-A-Worried-Man-Series-1/Product.html]
[h=254241]

I Dont know if it has been mentioned, as can not be fooked to read allllllll the way back.

Nighty Night. (Love, love loved series 1)

There are a number, inc. the already mentioned 'Ever Decreasing Circles' but I'm going to plump for 'Home to Roost'.

Series 1 is glorious IMO, maybe the best thing Eric Chappell ever wrote. First rate gags and marvellously structured too. Absolutely love it.

The Squirrels

Eric Chappell's first sitcom has been completely overshadowed by his Rising Damp.

The Office for mid-1970s England. (I think. I haven't actually seen it since it was first broadcast)

I recall enjoying Squirrels, but when it was remade as Fiddler's Three it was dire. Either Chappell's writing has not worn well or it demonstrates the importance of the performances.