Newsjack - Series 8 Page 23

I got something in but not sure how! Last series I had a recorded-but-cut.

Quote: StephenM @ February 28 2013, 5:55 PM GMT

Tell me more about the Pope's last day at work, there was something along those lines recorded.

Pope's last day at work, was about the pope not wanting to do any popely duties on the last day of work. kinda like last day at school. Watch videos, play pranks, play board games. One of the jokes was that Turin shroud was a prank by the last pope that resigned (gregory 12th). Some cheap jibes about playing risk was like his nazi youth days etc. drinks and cigars with the cardinals etc

thanks stephen appreciated :)

Seeing as though my name isn't there, I may as well ask... Were there any sketches about Google Glass at the recording?

Ta Stephen.

Quote: chuk @ February 28 2013, 6:05 PM GMT

Pope's last day at work, was about the pope not wanting to do any popely duties on the last day of work. kinda like last day at school. Watch videos, play pranks, play board games. One of the jokes was that Turin shroud was a prank by the last pope that resigned (gregory 12th). Some cheap jibes about playing risk was like his nazi youth days etc. drinks and cigars with the cardinals etc

thanks stephen appreciated :)

Chuk, I don't think it was this but I'm sure they DID record the list of ways to avoid a drone attack.
Alison.

Quote: LippyAlison @ February 28 2013, 5:19 PM GMT

I think it was the diary sketch Vivienne (although I am a bit rubbish at remembering!). If so, that's a full sketch so great news. Well done.
Alison.

Thanks, Alison. I'm really chuffed! I'm even allowing myself to use lots of exclamation marks!!

Quote: StephenM @ February 28 2013, 5:38 PM GMT

Yep there was a sketch about Morrissey banning meat-eaters, then people with meat etc. from coming to his gigs. Good work. And here's to upgrading that e-mail by the end of the series.

They also recorded a Pippa sketch so you never know a line might have been in that as well.

Congrats to those who got on or got something recorded. Good work!

And not sure they'll appreciate this comment in that review:

... his [Justin] Bojoesque delivery twists pithy puns and their like, that you've probably already seen on Twitter into delicate little packages.

Thanks, Stephen. I do need to move my broadcast credits on from one gag about a dog on Peterborough FM...

Quote: Elliott S @ February 28 2013, 6:06 PM GMT

Seeing as though my name isn't there, I may as well ask... Were there any sketches about Google Glass at the recording?

I don't remember any but then again I'm not sure what Google Glass is. There was a Windows one liner on it.

Quote: LippyAlison @ February 28 2013, 6:45 PM GMT

Chuk, I don't think it was this but I'm sure they DID record the list of ways to avoid a drone attack.
Alison.

Awesome, thanks Alison :)

Nothing for me this week. I took the audacious effort of submitting two sketches rather than doing one liners. They're in the critique.

One solitary one liner in 8 series. If Newsjack has taught me anything, it's rejection.

Well done everyone who got on or nearly on

Indeed, and pass on the congratulations to your other half!

Quote: groovydude89 @ February 28 2013, 5:46 PM GMT

Nope - nothing for me.

But it appears as if at least one BCGer got a credit - Ben Broughton.

Quote: StephenM @ February 28 2013, 7:01 PM GMT

I don't remember any but then again I'm not sure what Google Glass is. There was a Windows one liner on it.

That was mine.

Quote: blahblah @ February 25 2013, 10:58 AM GMT

I agree that covering a difficult story is a great talent/skill to have as a writer. Before I used to stay well clear of such stories but I think it was last series of newsjack when Amanda Knox was set free and I disregarded that story because it involved a murder but then Newsjack did a sketch about a producer making an amanda knox film with Hollywood as the butt of the joke.

It's sometimes hard to judge what Newsjack considers to be taboo. I doubt they would ever make a gag about Pistorious's legs, and yet they did a sketch where the 'running' (excuse pun) gag was all about people losing bits of their body to frostbite. Why is that not seen as insensitive?

Quote: Nogget @ March 2 2013, 8:36 AM GMT

It's sometimes hard to judge what Newsjack considers to be taboo. I doubt they would ever make a gag about Pistorious's legs, and yet they did a sketch where the 'running' (excuse pun) gag was all about people losing bits of their body to frostbite. Why is that not seen as insensitive?

Context is everything though, isn't it. In the case of Pistorious, if he's just won a gold medal I *can* envisage jokes about his blades on NJ as it's a positive story and not actually about his disability, more his achievement. But add (accusations of) murder to the context, and you're trying to be funny in a situation where people are still grieving etc.
I think that same principle applies to Fiennes. He's a hero explorer and frostbite seems to be part and parcel of an antarctic explorers life ie it still seems to be a positive story - he'll be back. And Frostbite is a *funny* medical condition.

I think another interesting example of where to draw the line was the week the blind man got tasered by police. In theory a hugely insensitive story of an innocent already-victim suffering further. But because he wasn't permanently injured, it's a neutral outcome and the story is so absurd it just lends itself to comedy. I expect the production guys on NJ would draw the lines somewhere different each time they have to make those calls. But some topics will always be way off the mark.

Last week, I wrote some largely neutral one-liners about ballooning waistlines/long way to fall/etc. this week, unintentionally HUGELY insensitive...

Today, case in point: man falls into hole. If he climbs out, everyone laughs and we have an appropriate sketch. However, because he's presumed dead, we don't go anyway near.

Dan