Newsjack - Series 8 Page 21

^ I don't think one not-so-good/controversial sketch will harm the other two, as long as it's not too crude/racist/obscene.

My personal opinion on news stories like that is to stay clear. I think if you approach it from a great angle and all the key elements of a funny sketch are in there it will stand a chance of getting on the air. But for myself, I don't think I'm talented enough yet to write a sketch on such a subject like that.

I agree that covering a difficult story is a great talent/skill to have as a writer. Before I used to stay well clear of such stories but I think it was last series of newsjack when Amanda Knox was set free and I disregarded that story because it involved a murder but then Newsjack did a sketch about a producer making an amanda knox film with Hollywood as the butt of the joke. So now I look for safer angles on harder stories, I rarely find them but still

I managed three sketches again this week. The first I'm really pleased with, the second I'm 95% happy with (but couldn't get the punch just right), and the third one - well, that was a bit of a rush job.

3 sketches again for me too. One I was very happy with until I pressed send but still still happy with the angle I took on the other two whether I nailed them or not remains to be seen

Slow week for me this week, other pressures meant I only got one fired off (an attempt at an Ed Miliband which no doubt someone will do better anyway!) but hey ho. Still hope for a couple of jackapps tonight.

I have one ticket for tomorrow's recording if anyone's interested. I can't afford the time this week (and am applying the reverse psychology that if I don't go then my stuff will be recorded. Right.)

Vivienne

Morning peeps. Friend of mine has two tickets for tonight's show she can't use and I can't go either. If you're interested PM me and I'll put you in touch.

Quote: LippyAlison @ February 24 2013, 2:15 PM GMT

It's an interesting question because covering difficult subjects in an appropriate way in comedy is a great skill and one that often needs developing with practice. In the terrorist Social Media sketch it was terrorists in general whereas you are proposing using the news story relating to specific individuals which makes it far more difficult. I personally wouldn't cover it because I don't think they'd use it - but I don't think it would do you any harm to write it and send it if you had a good angle up your sleeve and wanted to demonstrate you could cover such stories appropriately.
Alison

And don't forget that they can't touch stories which are sub judice (i.e. if there is a trial going on/in the offing) and I get the feeling they would steer clear of sketches pushing one political line in NJ. I know they have political comics on BBC Radio (Mark Steel, Jeremy Hardy) but in that situation their views are clearly their own. In any case, it would make them think twice which might be enought to make them drop the sketch, if they had an equally funny one which didn't cause them a problem.

On the other hand if you write the world's funniest sketch...

(EDITED for use of apostrophes)

Hey Guys,

Apologies for the radio silence of late, just been super-busy...

Somebody mentioned to me that posting my Brian Cox sketch and Vladimir Putin sketch from ep 2, showing the originals I sent to NJ, and the broadcast versions would be quite useful? If that's something you think would be handy, then I'll try to do it sometime between now and the weekend...

Quote: 3songsnoflash @ February 27 2013, 1:48 PM GMT

Somebody mentioned to me that posting my Brian Cox sketch and Vladimir Putin sketch from ep 2, showing the originals I sent to NJ, and the broadcast versions would be quite useful? If that's something you think would be handy, then I'll try to do it sometime between now and the weekend...

Did you write the Brian Cox sketch where he's speaking from different exotic locations? If so, it was nice collaborating with you! I also wrote a Brian Cox sketch from which they took just one line, the D:ream reference. (I won't bother posting the rest of the sketch since yours was much better).

Looks like all the promotion of Newsjack is paying off... according to their twitter feed they've had as many submissions in the first 3 weeks as they had in the whole of the last series...

Quote: Bleurgh @ February 28 2013, 11:18 AM GMT

Looks like all the promotion of Newsjack is paying off... according to their twitter feed they've had as many submissions in the first 3 weeks as they had in the whole of the last series...

I'd be interested to see what the listening figures are for this show. Is the boost in submissions reflected in a boost in listeners. Hope so as would love Newsjack to get a Radio 4 slot!

Review from some students or other: http://www.studentnewspaper.org/newsjack-radio-four-extra/

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ February 28 2013, 12:57 PM GMT

Review from some students or other: http://www.studentnewspaper.org/newsjack-radio-four-extra/

Dan

".../ a stream of gags, all related to events of the past week or so, "

Pretty verbose way of saying "topical gags."

Quote: swerytd @ February 28 2013, 12:57 PM GMT

Dan

How was that a review? There was barely any research done (the last week or so pah!) and absolutely no opinion! He ripped off Seinfeld, made crass confused comparisons as he tried to be funny himself and made absolutely no point whatsover. Why did he conclude three stars? Where did that come from? If anything this was just a vague regurgitation of what is written in the Radio Times!

One star - some funny bits.