Dad's Army Page 13

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 17 2012, 3:13 PM GMT

Fulton MacKay returned in the final series but in a different role; this time as a doctor. They didn't seem to care about actors playing multiple characters in the same show in those days. Carefree days... :)

Still happens today, particularly with crime procedurals. Some lesser-known actors will show up 3 or 4 times in the same crime drama as different characters.

Quote: Aaron @ November 17 2012, 3:19 PM GMT

Without DVD, VHS, or any kind of repeat market, it's unlikely anyone but the most anal austistic-like geek would have noticed.

Quote: Harridan @ November 17 2012, 7:03 PM GMT

Still happens today, particularly with crime procedurals. Some lesser-known actors will show up 3 or 4 times in the same crime drama as different characters.

It may remain unnoticed in most cases...can be a problem if an actor has a partcular charisma. I noticed MacKay's "second coming" because I loved him in "Porridge", his face and voice are too iconic. But also this aussie fella, Nick Stringer, was not a good choice to be used twice in a show (OFAH). His whole appearance is too memorable...and of course his accent and voice are giveaways. Stringer was also good in "The New Statesman"; seems like an underrated (comedy) actor.

Miranda Hart played a memorable one-off character in Not Going Out and came back as a completely different regular, so it does still happen.

Quote: Badge @ November 17 2012, 9:37 PM GMT

Miranda Hart played a memorable one-off character in Not Going Out and came back as a completely different regular, so it does still happen.

Going back to the topic, Edward Sinclair started off as the church caretaker and then played a completely different character as the verger...

Alright, let's keep chat to Dad's Army please! :)

Quote: Aaron @ November 18 2012, 10:01 PM GMT

Alright, let's keep chat to Dad's Army please! :)

No problem, I was glad to see the guy who played Mike Fisher in OFAH years later I an episode of the final series.
Now I spotted at least three actors playing small roles who became stars themselves in later years: that "Mike"-guy, the actor who becam Onslow in KUA and Wendy Richard. Did any other veteran or future stars I don't know play small roles in Dad's Army?

Madamme Edith from 'Allo 'Allo!?

Quote: lofthouse @ November 18 2012, 11:03 PM GMT

Madamme Edith from 'Allo 'Allo!?

Yeah you're right, I forgot that one...and wasn't the old guy playing Young Mr. Grace in AYBS?

Really wanna get the boxset for this, seen the odd episode over the years and from what I've seen I think it will be up my street.

Quote: whatkindoffoolami @ November 19 2012, 3:55 PM GMT

Really wanna get the boxset for this, seen the odd episode over the years and from what I've seen I think it will be up my street.

I absolutely recommend the complete boxset. I bought it about a month ago...and there are only two specials left for me to watch. Tons of laughs and smiles...and catchphrases.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 19 2012, 4:02 PM GMT

I absolutely recommend the complete boxset. I bought it about a month ago...and there are only two specials left for me to watch. Tons of laughs and smiles...and catchphrases.

I think I'll put it on my list to Father Christmas, either that or Red Dwarf which I've never watched but wan't to

Dad's Army should absolutely be a priority over Red Dwarf.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ November 13 2012, 11:55 AM GMT

Very sad to hear the death of Clive Dunn, but even worse news was the possibility of a new Dad's Army film!

Looks like it's true then https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000968/new_dads_army_film_development_female_mainwaring/

This could go either way but let's wait and see...a female Mainwaring is not the best of omens though.

But there already was a film. And it sucked!

I treated myself to the boxset a couple of years ago in the January sales - I've often seen it going cheap(er) in HMV after Christmas.