Dad's Army Page 8

When I was little I didn't get Jonesy but in adulthood I love him. One of the essentials that makes the show.

Quote: Badge @ June 4 2011, 11:55 PM BST

When I was little I didn't get Jonesy but in adulthood I love him. One of the essentials that makes the show.

Funny as I'm the exact opposite. When a mere broth of a boy I never twigged him. But now as an older type I think his 'schtick' breaks up the more interesting and subtle aspects of what was otherwise absolutely brilliant writing.

For me he's just too sledgehammer and lacking in any finesse whatsoever.

There's no doubt to me that the show needs Mainwairing Wilson and Jones to work best.

Another rare occasion on which I'm with Badge. Those three really made the show, and typified the three main archetypes of Home Guard members: the officious, the enthusiastic but incapable, and the ... well, almost ineffectual, I suppose.

If anything I think Godfrey was the one trick pony.

Yea yea you need the loo again, we know!

Quote: lofthouse @ June 5 2011, 1:19 PM BST

You were expecting a breakdancing act, maybe?

Quote: lofthouse @ June 5 2011, 1:19 PM BST

There was much more to Godfrey than an incontinence problem. It's a subtle, brilliant performance.

Quote: Badge @ June 5 2011, 5:11 PM BST

There was much more to Godfrey than an incontinence problem. It's a subtle, brilliant performance.

Yes and a great writer too. Someone who made a true and lasting contribution to film and theatre before TV. God bless him! :)

I was watching the Life and Death of Colonel Blimp in which John Laurie's character has a large role in forming the home guard. It also featured a character called Captain Mainwaring.
Never heard Croft and Perry say the Mainwaring name was a tribute to this marvellous British war film that strangely few people have ever seen.

Wonderful film.

Albeit propagandised to the point of being confusing.

Quote: sootyj @ June 6 2011, 1:37 PM BST

Wonderful film.

Albeit propagandised to the point of being confusing.

And strangely it was accused of being ruthless for its message of the British needing to take the gloves off with Hitler as well as being woolly and disloyal by having well rounded German character as the lead's best friend.

It was sad for Powell and Pressburger's they made their classic films two decades before the British film industry started to grow up. After showing Rank executives their masterpiece, the Red Shoes, they said it was a piece of rubbish and were basically sacked and told they would never fund any of their nonsense ever again.

Rank preferred to fund long forgotten Norman Wisdom films while P&P's films still enthral audiences over 60 years later.

Interesting story for anyone who believes Simon Cowell is anything new.

Quote: youngian @ June 6 2011, 1:59 PM BST

Rank preferred to fund long forgotten Norman Wisdom films while P&P's films still enthral audiences over 60 years later.

Yeah, because no one ever talks about Press For Time or The Early Bird, whilst they're chattering about ... uh. What was it called?

As my signature says . . . !

:)

Quote: youngian @ June 6 2011, 12:50 PM BST

I was watching the Life and Death of Colonel Blimp in which John Laurie's character has a large role in forming the home guard. It also featured a character called Captain Mainwaring.
Never heard Croft and Perry say the Mainwaring name was a tribute to this marvellous British war film that strangely few people have ever seen.

That's where they got it from then, and where they got Laurie from. Laurie was in wartime films and the bloke played Godfrey wrote one or two of them. And I knew C&P were P&P fans, you can see little influences in some episodes. And they were both from that arty, theatrical background, that Noel Cowerd land.

And strangely it was accused of being ruthless for its message of the British needing to take the gloves off with Hitler as well as being woolly and disloyal by having well rounded German character as the lead's best friend.

It was sad for Powell and Pressburger's they made their classic films two decades before the British film industry started to grow up. After showing Rank executives their masterpiece, the Red Shoes, they said it was a piece of rubbish and were basically sacked and told they would never fund any of their nonsense ever again.

During the 30s and 40s thanks to an obscure bit of legislation, most of the UK film industry was underwritten by the US film industry deliberately making bad films.

I always saw Colonel Blimp as very much a companion piece to A Matter of Life and Death.

Both in their own way quite remarkable and examples of films as art.

I always find it a bit chilling that affable David Niven was between 1939-45 alternating between making movies. And killing ruthlessly as a fairly senior front line officer in the commandoes.