Dad's Army Page 10

Quote: Chappers @ July 27 2012, 9:14 PM BST

I wouldn't say Hodges and the Verger were any worse than Mainwaring or Godfrey.

Bill Pertwee himself said he was not an actor, whereas Arnold Ridley was a celebrated play-write and an actor with decades of experience. However, I didn't ever have a problem with Hodges, I found the character entertaining.

Has anyone gone on about Pamela Cundall? Her crush on Cpl Jones just to hands on rationed meat seems to be a forgotten gem of the show...

My "Dad's Army" boxset has arrived this morning. I have to quote the Prince Regent to express my feelings: "I'm as happy as a frenchman who has just invented a pair of self-removing trousers."!

:D Enjoy!

I bought the box set about 6 years ago and still haven't watched more than about 25% of them (I am rationing myself :D)

Quote: Will Cam @ September 25 2012, 1:00 PM BST

I bought the box set about 6 years ago and still haven't watched more than about 25% of them (I am rationing myself :D)

Issue yourself with a ration book with tear out vouchers (I've got some for blankets somewhere) !

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ September 25 2012, 9:40 AM BST

My "Dad's Army" boxset has arrived this morning. I have to quote the Prince Regent to express my feelings: "I'm as happy as a frenchman who has just invented a pair of self-removing trousers."!

Watched the first episode yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised. At first I was a bit worried about the black & white and that the jokes would be a bit too old timey for me...but after 5 minutes I began enjoying it a lot. I especially loved the Mainwaring actor and his straight acting. What puts me off of some old comedy (and some new) is when certain actors (mostly playing secondary characters) try too hard to be funny instead of playing it straightfaced. For example most of the fun of "Naked Gun" derives from the straight acting by Leslie Nielson and George Kennedy. They don't behave like clowns on speed but they speak their silly lines as if they would play in a drama or a thriller. I appreciate that in comedy.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ September 26 2012, 5:25 PM BST

Watched the first episode yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised. At first I was a bit worried about the black & white and that the jokes would be a bit too old timey for me...but after 5 minutes I began enjoying it a lot. I especially loved the Mainwaring actor and his straight acting. What puts me off of some old comedy (and some new) is when certain actors (mostly playing secondary characters) try too hard to be funny instead of playing it straightfaced. For example most of the fun of "Naked Gun" derives from the straight acting by Leslie Nielson and George Kennedy. They don't behave like clowns on speed but they speak their silly lines as if they would play in a drama or a thriller. I appreciate that in comedy.

The Mainwaring character is good and the pilot is certainly one of the best written sitcom pilots ever. I relish it.

It's John Le Mesurier that makes it for me. Even when he's out of the main dialogue his performance is a joy. Every tick and resigned look is a comic masterclass. However, I must say Corporal Jones grates on me and always has.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ September 26 2012, 5:25 PM BST

Yes it's remarkably compelling comedy. And it's the understated that works rather than the later slapstick episodes.

There were others of this period like All Gas & Gaiters and they definitely had a foot in music hall.

Obviously I'm fascinated by John Le Mesurier and his relationship with Hattie Jacques, all recently covered on BBC Four.

But I hope you enjoy the box set, as you should, it's great British comedy.

AP Scene

Edited by Aaron - spelling, grammar, you name it.

Quote: Punk Anarcho @ September 28 2012, 9:53 PM BST

And it's the understated that works rather than the later slapstick episodes.

From what I've seen so far (series one) there seems to be a fine balance between slapstick and "serious" comedy. I really like it.

Obviously I'm fascinated by John Le Mesurier and his relationship with Hattie Jacques, all recently covered on BBC Four.

Le Mesurier embodies what I wrote earlier. This fine straight acting...and dignity. Opposite to some sillier elements of the show. That's how I like my comedy.

But I hope you enjoy the box set, as you should, it's great British comedy.

I am enjoying it, thanks.

As it was set in the past it can never go old, the cornerstone to Shakespeare's longevity.

The depth of the characters is outstanding and the issues they cover is either well known historically or basic traits such as petty jealousy.

As such they remain as relevant and as funny as ever and are and outstanding example of writing comedy!

I'll soon finish the third series and I'm still loving it. I can't believe it took me so long to give it a try. Great show!

For me the first two black and white series aren't as good as the rest in some ways. Firstly - it takes a while for the casting and number of characters to settle down. in the first episode Godfrey refuses to give Captain Mainwaring his gun - which I think is out of character for Godfrey. There is another posh sort of character who dissapears and Godfrey seems to take on some of his characteristics instead. The closing credits where they're marching on the spot looks a bit silly too.

I don't think it is much in the scripts or acting that is lacking - but there is something lacking in the way it is filmed in the first two series. Too many broad shots or something. This definitely improves once you get to Series 3.

That said the first two series are okay. But things pick up quite a bit from series 3.

Quote: Steve Charlie @ October 15 2012, 4:48 AM BST

For me the first two black and white series aren't as good as the rest in some ways. Firstly - it takes a while for the casting and number of characters to settle down. in the first episode Godfrey refuses to give Captain Mainwaring his gun - which I think is out of character for Godfrey. There is another posh sort of character who dissapears and Godfrey seems to take on some of his characteristics instead. The closing credits where they're marching on the spot looks a bit silly too.

I don't think it is much in the scripts or acting that is lacking - but there is something lacking in the way it is filmed in the first two series. Too many broad shots or something. This definitely improves once you get to Series 3.

That said the first two series are okay. But things pick up quite a bit from series 3.

And Corporal Jones and Walker slowly (or fast?) became the secret stars of the show...just like Mr. Humphries in "AYBS?". Beck died during the fourth series. I havent finished it yet, but I wonder if the dynamic of the show changes. I only hope that Godfrey doesn't inherit Walker's character traits. ;)