Dad's Army Page 11

As it happens I'm watching this at the moment! I think it was Malcolm's description of Glen as private Godfrey that made me want to re-visit it...

It's aged so well. John Le Measurier is such a great actor. They all are... (Pike slightly questionable)

Last night I saw the ep where they row out in the fog and think they've reached France by accident. Corporal Jones was on form in that one.

Yeah, I remember this episode. Love when they throw their weapons out of the train.

Yes, and the terrible fake bellies!

Captain Mainwaring's annoyed "Stupid boy!" is now one of my all time favourite catchphrases. And he's right, Pike is an idiot!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 15 2012, 9:20 AM BST

And Corporal Jones and Walker slowly (or fast?) became the secret stars of the show...just like Mr. Humphries in "AYBS?". Beck died during the fourth series. I havent finished it yet, but I wonder if the dynamic of the show changes. I only hope that Godfrey doesn't inherit Walker's character traits. ;)

Talfryn Thomas kind of took a more up front part - as well as Private Bean.

Quote: Chappers @ October 17 2012, 5:50 PM BST

Talfryn Thomas was great, he was always popping up in all sorts of things in the seventies. I read once the rest of the cast got rid of him as they thought he was too funny and would steal the show.

Quote: Chappers @ October 17 2012, 5:50 PM BST

I don't know them yet. They probably came on board after 1972.
Sad thing about Beck. Private Walker brought the right amount of tension into the group dynamics without being evil. I could have done without the Scottish bloke, though.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 17 2012, 6:02 PM BST

I don't know them yet. They probably came on board after 1972.
Sad thing about Beck. Private Walker brought the right amount of tension into the group dynamics without being evil. I could have done without the Scottish bloke, though.

I think, but could be wrong, Thomas was brought in to replace Beck.

Quote: Pingl @ October 17 2012, 6:04 PM BST

I think, but could be wrong, Thomas was brought in to replace Beck.

I'm currently making my way through the Survivors Box Set and Thomas plays a dirty old tramp - brilliantly I must add.

Quote: Chappers @ October 17 2012, 6:12 PM BST

I'm currently making my way through the Survivors Box Set

I had to look that one up on wikipedia. Sounds interesting.

Quote: Chappers @ October 17 2012, 6:12 PM BST

I'm currently making my way through the Survivors Box Set and Thomas plays a dirty old tramp - brilliantly I must add.

Yea I remember that, the original survivors was great, the remake was bobbins.

Quote: Pingl @ October 17 2012, 6:43 PM BST

Yea I remember that, the original survivors was great, the remake was bobbins.

It's the original from the 1970s. I couldn't accept the remake.

Quote: Chappers @ October 17 2012, 8:20 PM BST

It's the original from the 1970s. I couldn't accept the remake.

Quite right, accept no alternatives. I used to love that programme, especially the second series when everything had run out and they returned to the land. It was a real seventies theme, apocalyptic, self sufficiency, the whole shebang. The remake was an appalling mess, sub Day of the Triffids stuff, it lacked Terry Nation's touch.

I saw Fulton MacKay in a Dad's Army episode the other day, he played an officer of course. His other roles I've seen him in were "Mackay" in Porridge/Going Straight and as an RAF examiner in Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em. Did he ever play a more sensible character?
Anyway, I like him, he was great!

That scene in Some Mothers is hilarious

He is literally dieing to corpse!